| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Uses Four Picks?
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 5:09 am    

I use four picks (a thumbpick and picks on index, middle, ring fingers.) I started on classical guitar, and got used to using that ring finger, so when I started banjo and later steel, it was more trouble than it was worth to NOT use that finger. The ring finger is certainly my strongest, and I usually use it or my thumb to emphasize a melody note.(I use my pinky on acoustic nylon-string only.)

However, a lot of the banjo rolls sound more like the records if you only use two fingerpicks, and steelers seem to use
three-note chords more than four-note chords. As I listen more analytically, I hear that the thumb-and-two fingers thing is part of the sound. (I've tried a flatpick and two fingerpicks, like Roger McGuinn, on guitar but it doesn't feel like home, though it would make a lot of sense.)

ON THE OTHER HAND, if three fingers are good, four must be better Smile .I could always train myself to not use the exta finger when trying for a classic-type sound, and enjoy the advantages when it's appropriate..

How many people use more than two fingerpicks? How many feel strongly that you shouldn't, and why?

------------------
D-8, acoustic 8

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 9:55 am    

Hi John,
I use thumb and three finger picks, I think BE uses ALL his fingers, but NO picks !

------------------

Basil Henriques
Emmons D-10 1970
and
Emmons D-10 1970
1949 "Leilani"
1949 Dickerson
RICKENBACKER "Olde Uglie" Twin 8
"Fender 1000"

Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~basilh/

http://www.stax-a-trax.com/

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 11:18 am    

Maurice Anderson teaches students to use a thumb-pick and three finger picks.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 12:29 pm    

Hey, John. I, too, use a thumbpick and three fingerpicks on pedal steel. I especially like the thicker chords I can get. However, on non-pedal, I use the same fingers but rarely use picks. I just like that meatier tone. Also, check the Forum archives; there have been discussions on this in the past. Good luck. Use your toes if you have to!

John B.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 2:31 pm    

When playing without pedals, I usually take the fourth pick off. I use it a lot on pedal steel, but most non-pedal styles don't seem to require it as much. There aren't nearly as many 4-note chords available on the non-pedal instruments.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 3:21 pm    

I seem to recall that Speedy West used 3 finger picks. I tried it a couple times. No way could I get used to it.

Buddy Emmons uses 2 finger picks. He has commented on the forum that he sometimes likes to try picking without picks. I do not know if he has ever recorded this way or what fingers he used if he did.

I feel one can be assured, if he did, it would still be classic Big E and blow all of us away.

God bless BE,

carl
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 7:23 pm    

Bobby-
Good point there. Most non-pedal steels are 6 or 8 strings and two picks are fine.

But as you say, 3 picks are a LOT better for Pedal Steel to get those fuller chord combinations.
Reece got me on 3 picks over 30 years ago.Thanks.......al
Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 9:47 am    

I use my thumb and three fingers. When I got a dobro recently I finally put on picks. On electric I still mostly go bare, but I've started using a small thumbpick with bare fingers recently. I've played bottle neck style like that for many years.

I use my thumb and middle finger most, the others help out on chords and faster melody stuff.
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 11:29 am    

I'm also classically trained, so I have quite good control over which fingers I use and when. I use a thumb pick about half the time (it's a wrist angle thang) and no finger picks. Finger picks are just plain clumsy and get in my way, especially for individual string muting. Fortunately, I use my rh nails and get a good bright tone that way. It's not a playing style for everyone, and if you have weak nails, the steel strings will chew 'em up, but it's the only way for me
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 11:39 am    

Buzz Evans uses 1 thumb pick and 3 finger picks and because his 5th finger thumb nail is so hard, he at times also uses it!! Curly Chalker also used at times from 2-4 finger picks! Check out Buzz's new CD's and you will see what that combination can do!!
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 2:48 pm    

Have to name Joe Wright as a prominent 4 pick player. He's awesome both with picks on, and with picks off.
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 4:18 am    

I'm another one that comes from classical guitar. My nails seem to do fine for dobro, lap steel, and pedal steel. I did find some picks that seem like they will work okay for me, if I can get used to them. Found finger picks that have an open hole for the pad of your finger to be exposed thru. That way you feel the string and also the finger picks don't feel so bulky. These I might be able to get used to. I also have had problems with thumb picks, which most of the time feel too bulky. Found I like the Herco picks which are like a regular guitar pick with a thumb wrap attached.