| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vern Gosdin: Rock Solid Country
Butch Foster

Pisgah, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 3:34 pm    

Vern is a true rock solid country vocalist. Many of his songs have become all-time favorites of mine. Did Jim Vest tour with him? What is the latest on this fine singer? Some of you have probably done shows with him or worked for him-please share your views on Vern and his career.
Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 5:20 pm    

I've seen Vest on TV with Vern a few times and as I understand it, did tour with him for a while. Mike Baker, who played guitar for Vern for a while, told me a few weeks ago that Vern isn't doing much right now. You'll see him in Nashville down on Broadway occasionally and he'll get up and sing with which ever band is performing. He is definately one of my all time favorites but I doubt we'll hear much more from him. Bummer.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Craig Collins & High Lonesome
www.craigcollinslive.com

[This message was edited by Gaylon Mathews on 02 October 2003 at 06:22 PM.]

Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 8:15 pm    

Butch,
I saw Vern in concert at the Moose Lodge in New Castle, IN 2 or 3 years ago. I had heard prior to the show that he had had a couple of strokes, and sadly, it showed. He had to be helped to and from the stage and he temporarily forgot the words to "Chilsled In Stone", but he still had that amazing pure country voice that we all remember and love, and the show was still very, very good. He had a really good steel player too. Jason
Louis Schubert

Blue Ridge, GA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 9:27 pm    

I worked a show for a couple of weeks in Underground Atlanta with Adam Gosdin and tried to get in touch with Adam for another gig and wound up calling Vern because Adam was not in the Atlanta phone book. He did window glass from a shop behind his house in Jonesboro and explained to me that he and his brother Rex were the Gosdin Brothers and why in the world would I want to call Adam. Vern and I picked a little and had some fun and I could tell that he had real talent. Vern wound up going to Nashville to re-record a song that he and Rex had done called Just Enough to Keep Me Hanging on with some gal named Emmylou Harris (who I had never heard of) and wanted me to do all the in-studio photography. I went out on the lake with my brother the day before Vern and I would leave and jumped in the water with my glasses on. They are still at the bottom of Lake Allatoona and I missed my chance at meeting Emmylou and helping launch the second music career of Vern Gosdin. I guess stranger things have happened but that's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

------------------
Louis Schubert
ShoBud Pro III D-10 / Nashville 400 -
Getting better

norma qualls

siloam springs ar
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2003 6:03 am    

I got to see Vern in Branson Mo a few years back and no doubt about it he desereves the name "The Voice of Country Music". I still have his autograph which is almost a thing of the past. I didn't know he was still singing due to his stroke. I would go see him again even with his limitations.