| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So Far AND So Close
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 11:53 am    

When Phil Vasser came out and sang with the Nashville Star contestants last night it became obvious how far they have to go to reach his professional level (Buddy Jewel is close). But if you heard all the off-key singing the Grand Ole Opry it also became obvious how close the Nashville Star contestants are to what is considered professional these days. It's a crazy world.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 3:04 pm    

DAVID: That off key singing.....has he simply developed a hearing imparement or was he "tipsy"? I've noticed the same body language and off key singing on the Opry of late, by several other "old timers".....namely PW and CP.
Just curious. I could barely sit thro' it.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 5:14 pm    

What "sells" today is the same thing that sold 40 years ago...style. Musical talent and ability are secondary, and always will be. This conundrum probably started in the '50s, (with rock-n-roll), and it continues today.

I know who's got a good voice...people like John Berry, Gary Morris, and Larry Gatlin. No, you don't see 'em much on the Opry, or on any other music show, for that matter.

Style sells. Sadly, the greatest talents sometimes don't.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 2:21 am    

Great observation Dave, we too were thinking the exact thing when Phil came out and sang.

It was like me doing a Steel duet with Paul Franklin or a Tele duet with Brent Mason...

In all fairness though, that song was not really the right choice and key for all of the contestants. It's kinda like asking Phil to sing a Martina McBride song along with her, in her key...but anyhow....

What we did notice was that both Buddy and the young gal, Miranda, wrote exceptional tunes capable of radio play on a minutes notice. That is what it's all about. Both sang their own tunes very well in their own styles and thats really all that matters. If either of them end up with a "SINGLE" deal and it gets national airplay , those of us that gig in the local Legions and Halls will be trying to sing like them soon ! Now aint' that a hoot.

The other two should just go home now and be greatfull for the fun and experience they have had. I hope the Brandi girl doesn't start crying when she looses...

The band has been really great, I'm gonna miss them.

The suspense..where's Alfred Hitchcock when ya need him most !

yes, I know where he is.....

tp
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 5:55 am    

Tony, good point about the key Phil sang the song in. Still, he had a quality and stage presence that I think only Buddy came close to. I'm sure experience has something to do with it.

I agree with your assessment of their song writing abilities.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 8:35 pm    

Is Phil Vasser the singer who had a video out with him playing a piano on a roof-top and moaning away about this gorgeous redhead
who perks and waves thru the video (and his life, I guess)?
something about- where've you been all my life???? etc.....

Yeah......he's country.

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 21 April 2003 at 09:38 PM.]

David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 7:29 pm    

Who said anything about Phil Vasser being country?