| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More talk about radio
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:03 am    

There have been ongoing discussions, here and elswhere, about what is/has been happening to radio programming in all genres of music since deregulation allowed Clear Channel and CoxRadio to accumulate the majority of the radio stations in the country.

There is an article about Radio Disney, in the Business section of the paper today, that seems to portend where this is headed:
"Among radio broadcasters across the country, Hilary Duff's sugary pop tune "I Can't Wait" has fallen completely flat...There is, however, a glaring exception: the Radio Disney empire. On its 52 stations nationwide, "I Can't Wait" is ranked No.1...Disney's KDIS-AM (710) has played the song a whopping 850 times during the last six weeks.
(That will will make the writers and publisher happy)

So why is Radio Disney in such a hurry to play "I Can't Wait"?.....Duff is under contract with Buena Vista Records, which is a sister company of Radio Disney, which is affiliated with the Disney Channel, which telecasts "Lizzie McGuire," which stars Duff....-all owned by Burbank-based entertainment giant Walt Disney Co. - (many question whether this) violates arm's-length broadcasting rules of the FCC."

"Corporations are granted broadcast licenses by the government in exchange for a pledge to serve the public interest. The government prohibits broadcast licensees from using the airwaves for their own benifit or to gain a competative advantage in any transaction"

The "model" for this business seems to be the Mexican entertainment monopoly, where, if they like you, you'll be a Star, and if they don't, you won't.