| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Local 47 1964
Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 8:13 pm    

If you would like to look at some old pictures taken at the local 47 jamboree in 1964 click the link below. I am the one named Ace Tipton. http://www.acetipton.net/local47.html
Incidently I am a Dickens fan also...

------------------
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 8:16 pm    

Great site and pictures Ace. Is that Bobby Wayne Edrington of Merle Haggard fame? I played with Bobby for about three years in the Fort Worth Stockyards back in the early 80's.
Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 8:20 pm    

No this guy was really Bobby Wayne from Owensboro Ky. Don't know what ever happened to him, he sort of slipped out of La in the
early 70's.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 9:45 am    

The photo of the Golden State Boys has Bob Warford on banjo, Eric White (brother of Roland and Clarence) on bass, Bobby Slone on fiddle, Skip Conover on dobro, and either Tom Kuehl or Hal Poindexter on guitar (I can't make out the photo).

That's Harold Hensley playing fiddle with Doye O'Dell. I used to work with Doye back in 1971.

The fiddler with Hank Ross sort of looks like Norm Whistler to me, but I could be wrong.

Ace, did I get shake up any mental cobwebs? I didn't join 47 until 1968 when I joined Ronstadt's band, but I used to watch Cal's Corral religiously (and not because it was on Sunday).

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 31 July 2002 at 10:46 AM.]

Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 11:37 am    

Believe it or not I used to know who most of them were but anymore i'm not sure...
I thought that was Byran Berline with Hank on the fiddle. I worked some shows with O'Dell in the mid 70's, and also with Tex Williams, and Merle Travis. I usually played bass with Merle when we were on a show together but one night after he had finished his show and we (House band) was going back to play he walked up and asked me if it would be ok if he played with us,
like anyone was gonna say no. He played with us the reset of the night and we had a blast...I am going to see Garland the end of this month so i'll tell him I heard from you. Ace...
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 3:22 pm    

Hank Ross seems to have backed up a few of the artists, his steel player (also seen in the pic with Wynn Stewart), is none other than Billy Tonnesson who cut some great melodic work with Ole Rassmussen & The Nebrasken Cornhuskers in 1950-52 for Capitol Records.

Blackie Taylor's group was knwon as the Southlanders and in the 1964 pic the group included Tommy Allsup on guitar, Ray Derrickson on drums, (ex-Stan Kenton), Jimmy Hendricks on vocals and Marvin Blanton on Bass. Blanton later worked at the Palomino Club, his group and Garland Frady's used to alternate on Sundays circa 1971.

Sammy Masters & the Swinging Keys had Carl Walden on steel, while Herb is very close with the Golden State Boys.
The GSB's are Hal Poindexter (lead vocal and guitar), Larry Rice (mandolin), Eric White (bass), Bobby Warford on banjo, Skip Conover on dobro

Jimmy Pruett was a session guy for Capitol and Liberty Records, augmented Danny Michaels & The Rebel Playboys for the first two albums, this was a studio only thing for Jimmy, he was also part of the Town Hall Party house band in the 1950s.

Jack Rogers was part of the Palomino Club house band in the mid to late 1950s, not sure what happened to him.

As a side note, there was at least three Bobby Wayne's who were active in California in the 1960s, all of them recorded as well, just to add a bit of confusion to the whole thing.

Norman Whistler.. Herb, that's an interesting call, I reckon you might be on to something there.