| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tony Booth; West Coast Turnaround and others..
Scott Clancy

Liberty, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 4:59 am    

Does anybody know where I can get these older recordings? The best classroom e9 steel work I ever heard and my recordings are too old to tolerate. Will pay top dollar for them.

------------------
"Money distroys or Food and Music keep it an art and play from your heart".
Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 7:14 am    

Scott,

Welcome to the forum...I have seen some of the stuff JayDee and I did with Tony on eBay
from time to time...If I see any around, I'll try to send you an email..

Take care,

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 7:53 am    

Tony has reissued a bunch of his old stuff on CD. I think he uploaded his albums into his computer and burned CD's of them. There are some available at the Fort Worth ET Record Shop. 817-624-8449.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 1:49 pm    

Thanks Herb,

I wasn't sure if Tony had done that or not...
See you in Dallas..

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 2:08 pm    

Came across a mint condition Lp of Tony recently called "This Is Tony Booth", from 1973. Still has the plastic shrink wrap on it. Jerry plays some great steel on it, at first I thought it was JD but my good friend Red Kilby told me different. Said to check out Jerry's list of recordings on his web site and sure enough, there it was. I plan to put some of the intros etc. from this up on the Rebelâ„¢, Ricky and Jeff site as soon as I get a bit of free time. In total, I have 29 of Tony's songs and the steel is as good as Scott says!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Scott Clancy

Liberty, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 5:50 pm    

I can't thank you guys enough, I tried the ET shop and no answer on the phone? May have
been too late calling them. I'll try again.
I have an old collection of Tapes I converted to CD on my computer but they sound old and scratchy. GET OUT THE FLEA POWDER !!! That steel work is the best example of learning when to and when not to play too much, it's been my obbsession for 20 years as to how presidential the steel work is on those old recordings.
"Somebody Called LA" is the best.
Thank Ye' all and take care.
Scott

------------------
"Money distroys or Food and Music keep it an art and play from your heart".
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 9:20 pm    

Hey Scott, you ought to check out the stuff Jerry Brightman did with Susan Raye also,fantastic stuff.
If you ever meet Jerry ???? This is one CLASS ACT<<<<<<, he spent about 1 1/2 hours one day at the ISGA in St. Louis last year with me over a Coke , talking about his days with Buck and how the late great Don Rich was to work with and funny stories about Tom Brumley and the whole Bakersfield Sound days.
So if you ever do meet him??? Ask him to tell you a story<<<<<<. Take Care<<<< www.redkilby.com
Scott Clancy

Liberty, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 8:05 pm    

It has been my obbsession for years [15?] now to tare apart and disect those tasty "glisses" on the tony booth material, seems as though an underestimated "king" slipped through or fingers when Tony hung it up and Brightman drifted on his own. It just happens to be my own "Personal" attitude and taste as to where abouts I am coming from with the steel giutar. I do like all kinds of styles , but what I love to here and love to play? sometimes are different.
I rub some old timers the wrong way with my "conflicting" intrests as one would put it. But for instance, I do like, Paul Franklin, Kayton Roberts, Jimmy Day, Juilien Tharp and Garcia's "Teach your children" another lesson on "Keep it simple stupid", we all have those lessons one time or another, but the simple stuff that is in the right place at the right time is what gets the "trophy". Garcia was an amature steel player but "hit home" with tone and taste and song combined. This is what Brightman and Manis did with Tony Booth. Let's not forget Tom Brumley, Buy the way Bobbie Seymore is another one !!!
They hit home with taste, touch and tone. Accept they where pro's !! Executing each line "presidentially" with silky smooth confidence., That lick in the tune called "Somebody Called LA" [tony booth], took me two weeks of computer audio edit and disipher to copy and learn the "Twinkly raindrop" type of aproach Brightman? used on that tune. It was easy to find the notes, but finding the touch and tone? and where abouts those notes got played took a month to get down. Was it worth it? YES !! That approach is so different it is almost like the first time on the c6 neck, SHELL SHOCK!! Pickblock one gliss handblock the next,
You wouldn't beleive the way you grab the simple "intervals" [two note grab] , it is not grabbed in the obvious places for a reason. Strings 2,3 and 4 get the most use. Pedal b and c plus knee levers "e raise" and "e" lower are exausted.
It was easier for me to learn orange blossom speacial via "Paul Franklin" style then it was to learn the touch and tones of Brightman's work with Tony Booth.
Now to Absorb the knowledge and apply it to the "real me" instead of "copying" a celeb. Thats important wont you know. Copying defeats the real "Soul of yourself" comunicating thriough the instrument. That 1 song and the methods used opened up at least "fifty" new licks I can call my own, those are the ones I use !!! There is only one Brightman, but the knowledge of some of his playing style opened doors for my own self expression and invention. It's "How he played the notes" NOT THE NOTES.
The notes where easy to find, but the technique he used and "what" strings he used to get them where real tricky. Knowing that method opens up an exponential amount of new "licks" you can call your own !!!. But it all has that presidential sound. And you don't need to break the bank on special effects either !! Smile The tone is in the right hand Me'Lads !! Good equipment helps.

------------------
"Money distroys or Food and Music keep it an art and play from your heart". Sierra Session D10 Keyless , Too many amps to list.
Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 5:57 pm    

Scott and Red,

Thanks for all the kind words...I'm on my way to Dallas. See everybody there!