| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards & TRADITIONAL Country
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:24 pm    

I'm still in some sort of shock over the CMA awards tonight. For the most part it was true, traditional country music. I was glad to see that the entertainers had their bands with them and there was lots of steel. There were a few disappointments with Tim McGraw as entertainer of the year and Toby (Kunta Kente') Keith as male vocalist of the year and Willie Nelson & Cheryl Crowe should have stayed at home. For the most part, those were the pitiful parts of the evening. 3 standing ovations, George Jones, Alan Jackson & Soggy Bottom Boys and all were traditional country! I enjoyed the evening and most all the performers were great except Kunta Keith who can take his rap song and stick it up his ass!!!
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:27 pm    

But why did the cameras miss closeups of Jeremy with Lonestar and Randle with Brad Paisley?

The hall of fame segment was realy well done.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:31 pm    

Janice, the Hall Of Fame segment SUCKED! It has gone from a prestigious honor to a token event. That was history they were suppose to honor tonight but instead we got a 3 minute tape of Vince at the HOF and a song by Marty. It used to be an honor to call the inductee to the stage and present them with their plaque but since they wanted to hurd a dozen or so in this year, they didn't have time. What a shame!
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 10:16 pm    

Did anyone get the idea that Tradional is about to reappear! & Mike, your right about Toby K. He's as overated as Garth & that Billy Ray guy, unbelievable, how many $Hits he's had, Entire show was pre-recorded, so what you heard is not what you got, but other than the typical, [few wrong winners] it was far better than previous years! I'm still in shock about, "Murder on Music Row!" Its about time & I Love It! Go Traditional!
erik

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 10:35 pm    

Unfortunately, i went to bed before it started. I should buy a VCR one day. Glad to hear traditional is coming back. Looks like Lloyd Green has good timing.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 10:59 pm    

There's a reason I don't have a tv.
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 12:28 am    

I ask my daughter to call me in when A.J. got up to bat.Because I only felt like he would be the only one to hit one over the fence.And I got the job done again.With a well written song,penned by A.J. himself.
Well song,and truth in every word.
Where were you 9-11 ? Yeah I beleive we'll be hearing that one alot more.
I do'nt regret not seeing the show in it's intire,because it for the pass few years ,has only seemed like a waist of my time,why I've already seen all the comercial's in between

------------------
BJ Bailey

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 3:51 am    

Quote:
the Hall Of Fame segment SUCKED!
my exact sentiments!!! That is my favorite part of the show, it sure would have been nice to see a film clip of Webb and the Everlys singing bits and pieces of their hits. The CMA blew it!! Somebody get Marty on the phone! The rest of the show was enjoyable. The Alan Jackson song was GREAT!

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 08 November 2001 at 04:01 AM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:09 am    

I must have been watching ( a different show. The one I saw was as bad as the past 5 I watched all the way through. There were good country highlights but for the most part it was a decent music but NOT COUNTRY. Brad Paisleys appearance in a T shirt ( and Jeans is what kind of a message for Country music? (ON SECOND THOUGHT MAYBE BRAD FEELS THE CMA ISN"T WORTH DRESSING UP FOR) In that case my hats off to the man...AJ was once again a bright beacon. There were good segements and some true awards given, but all in all as that old fiihosserfur Smilas J Rubbets once said"CMA! Country MY ASS" However I did go to sleep during the last 3/4 of an hour before that great Country Artist Quick draw Magraw got his Entertainer of the year award.I guess anyone who can keep Faith Hill entertained deserves some kind of a award.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 09 November 2001 at 06:47 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:21 am    

I watched the entire show, except I don't know why. There were a couple of spots, but mostly "NCS". Everytime I hear the Toby Keith rap thing come on radio I change stations.

But the show was a reflection of Nashville's current music - mostly down the drain.

Hell, Nashville can't even put out America the Beautiful without injecting distorted rock guitar in it! I heard the song that was cut with several Nashville singers and the turnaround was a distorted Telecaster. The singers did a credible job, except for Toby Keith and the boy just can't sing that kind of song.
Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 6:22 am    

Last night I was out playing music with a new goup I am working with, so I recorded the show. This morning I watched the show in 15 minutes. Fast forward works miracles. I certainly did enjoy at least 15 minutes. Pat
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:42 am    

I thought it was a great show. It even passed the "spouse" test. My wife wanted to watch the awards rather than a rerun of "Law and Order".

I thought that it had wide audience appeal, with strong roots in a traditional sound. Even the Dixie Chicks did a nice acoustical song with an interesting arrangement.

WIllie was not exactly animated, but Jerry Douglas was on fire.

Alan Jackson's song about Sept 11th proved the point that country music has found itself in the best position of any form of music to speak to the mood of the nation. If you have any doubt that country music can speak for the average citizen, you weren't paying attention.

Good show!
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:54 am    

Quote:
I enjoyed the evening and most all the performers were great except Kunta Keith who can take his rap song and stick it up his....

Forget the rap beat and the arrangement...what country singer with any pride at all sings a song that whines about his girlfriend/wife/whatever doesn't talk enough about "me"!

Godallfriday, whatever happened to "I spent 10 hours on a John Deere tractor..."

[This message was edited by David Weaver on 08 November 2001 at 07:55 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 9:13 am    

I thought it was terrible of Toby to do his hit record written by Bobbie Bradick. His thank you speech was terrible too! "It's cool to have Jesus Christ in my life"! After that I just turned it off.
Theresa
KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 9:56 am    

That should be "Bobby Braddock" unless a person's name is also subjective.

[This message was edited by KEVIN OWENS on 08 November 2001 at 09:58 AM.]

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:09 am    

Mike Tell us how you really Feel. I was glad to see the Soggy Bottom Boys win. That was really neat. What about that new song by Alan Jackson, It was really nice. I think It really spoke to the way most Americans feel right now. Like Mike I thought there was a few low points. I really felt bad for the Hall of Fame inductees, and Willie will bless his heart. There were a few spots going to break where they had about 3 seconds of some very good steel playing.
Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:33 am    

Quote:
I thought it was terrible of Toby to do his hit record written by Bobbie Bradick

Well, it WAS terrible irregardless who wrote it. Cowboy hats, a steel guitar & fiddle does not turn "jungle music" into country, even by your standards Theresa.
Quote:
His thank you speech was terrible too! "It's cool to have Jesus Christ in my life"!

It's fine to have Jesus Christ in his life but he might also consider a new manager, a new songwriter & a new producer while he's at it!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 11:12 am    

That Toby Keith Crap, oops, I mean rap song makes me puke.

The highlights for me were: The Dixie Chicks (fantastic song), Soggy Bottom Boys (Union Station?), Leann Womack getting Female Vocalist, racing to the bathroom to barf up my dinner when Garth Brooks entertained (is it actually entertainment?). Anyway, I had a better time in the bathroom than watching Garth. I thought he retired.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 11:56 am    

Quote:
"It's cool to have Jesus Christ in my life"!
I wonder how Jesus feels about being connected to that?
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 12:03 pm    

Quote from Mike:It's fine to have Jesus Christ in his life but he might also consider a new manager, a new songwriter & a new producer while he's at it!
Add:How about some vocal lessons.Sounds like he's choking and I can't stand that Peggy Little vibrato.
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 1:28 pm    

Hey Myron.
Good to see you back. How do you like Ariz? I watched some of the awards show, and that was too much! I wont bother again!!

Leigh
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 1:34 pm    

By the time Brooks & Dunn finished their MTV opener for the show, I guess I wasn't very receptive to anything that followed!
Ricky0ne1

West Peoria, IL, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:30 pm    

Toby's goin for that crossover crowd, probably add a DJ scratcher soon, with the Fly Girls out front... and start wearing his jeans halfway down his ass with pink boxers to match his new hat.......
Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:43 pm    

I watched the whole CMA awards but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't bother. The only song that came close to country music was when they mentioned the song "Murder on music row" but amazingly it was not played! You can bet that I won't be wasting my time next year watching the awards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
erik

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 6:31 pm    

Did Toby Keith make a new rap song out of an old Bobby Braddock song? Or is it a new one? Is Bobby Braddock alive? Was it "Would You Catch A Falling Star"? I've never heard this rap song thing. I'll have to listen to the radio to hear it. I still like "Shoulda Been A Cowboy". Wish he would do more stuff like that.