| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Traditional Country Music-Its Gone
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2001 5:35 pm    

Traditional country music is not dead!It's true you cant get much of it on the radio these day's,but there is still a market for it.There will always be artists, Promoters etc. that will stay with traditional country. I would say Alan Jackson has done very well doing Traditional country, and Bluegrass is going strong.We just had a radio station In Jacksonville NC, go to a Bluegrass, and traditional format and there doing very well.Raymond,just hang in there and your day weill come!! Leigh
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 26 May 2001 6:18 pm    

I have been listening to Hank Williams all day on the Martha White programs.Things have really changed since the 50s.
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2001 7:33 pm    

Rayman, Why don't you see if they will let you mix it up a little. That's what we do. We play some of Hank and Merle, AJ, Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill and a lot more. I find it a lot more challenging and a lot more interesting that way. The crowd loves it. Even the young people like hearing the older stuff. You'd be surprised once you start playing it.......Carson
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 2:50 am    

Then you can get lucky and work a traditional country music show.

We opened for a Marty Martel "Opry Legends" package show at Silver Springs park a couple of months ago. One of the reasons we got the job was because we only did traditional country music.
Peggy Poovey

Dallas,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 8:17 pm    

Traditional country is alive and well here in Texas. I just got back from Bandera,Tex. where last night was awesome with the incrediable Jake Hooker, with Jim Loseberg, on steel and Bobby Flores, on fiddle. The dance floor was full of young and old alike. Then to top off a great Sunday gig we had Jake with the amazing awesome Dicky Overby on steel, and once again Bobby on fiddle. What a show, for Traditional music. This is the real deal, country at its best since Johnny Bush, and Ray Price, and the other legends.

------------------
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 May 2001 5:23 am    

Leigh,well said.We had our time and it was good to us, now we have to watch as others enjoy what is their time.I hope it is equally as good to them as ours was to us.Good music ,good songs last forever and good music will outlast us all.

------------------
CJC

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2001 5:51 am    

Joe; A well said to you too ! That's exactly right! I and my father had serious Talks (arguments ?) over MY music. He would call my preferences "Damm Hillbillies!" Now I find myself doing the same over the new musical formats. Opps, I think I just stepped into my own mouth. And it doesn't taste good either....

Regards Paul
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2001 7:16 am    

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 28 May 2001 8:15 am    

I am happy to say ,I'm with a band that play's only true country.A matter a fact that is what we call the band.I have just gob's of steel work that I have to do.But I'm eating it up.How long it will last?who know's.But I know that real country will be around,maybe not on the radio.The bean counter's may have cut the tree down,But they could'nt dig up the roots
bill ramsey

danville va
Post  Posted 30 May 2001 2:12 am    

my bands name is pure country. nuff said.

------------------
bill ramsey
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2001 4:22 am    

As posted before, I too am fortunate to play in a country band. Yep, we play some new country too, but when we play it, it sounds country.

If I had to play any more steel on my gig, they would have to make it a longer gig.

Bill Ferguson

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"