| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Awards
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 6:21 pm    

I'm not sure what they are calling country music.I think it is the worst I have ever heard. The only good thing I heard on the whole show was the little steel I could no miss as I have a good ear for.They should be ashame of themselfs calling that junk country music SHAME SHAME. I know it is my opinion but I think a lot of people agree with me.Give me the old tradishinale country music and I'll listen and buy it all day long.Do I have anyone out there that will agree with me.I'm a Steel Player and I'm proud of it and I love it almost as much as my Wife and today is our 14th anniversary.
Sam White
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 8:51 pm    

Sam, Iam with you. I would like to give my opinion, but we are not allowed to use profanity on the Forum. Jody.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 9:32 pm    

I think the only high point on this watered down rock-rool was J.D. His playing, tone was pure J.D. GREAT....

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

RichardMcKinney

Battle Ground, WA
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 10:02 pm    

I'm here watching the CMA. I think it's a wanna be country show. What was LeAnn Rhymes singing? She sounds like a Brittney Spears wanna be. She did such a fantastic job on " Blue" and now this.And I can't believe the lack of pedal steel on the new country. It's not about the music anymore. That's so obvious.Rascal Flats sounded really good.This is just my 2 cents...

------------------
Keep on Steelin
Carter 4/k 3/p
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 10:08 pm    

I missed all but near the end..All I saw is it called, "she daisy"?? Not anything about them country..The song ,music or the dresses???
Give me Loretta anytime

Are they calling it country to try to sell to pop, rock and country markets?

They should have started and ended the show with Alan Jackson's song "They've Gone Country"

Maybe we need to get the government to regulate country music as well as the oil companies..The public is getting ripped off by anyone who has enough bucks!!

Just my opinion

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 09 May 2001 at 11:16 PM.]

Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 10:16 pm    

The best steel playing on tonight's country awards TV show has to go to Barbara Mandrell.

They showed a very short clip (5 seconds or less?) of her ending a steel guitar solo from her old Network TV variety show and just by interpolation (did I really use that word?), you know that her playing was awesome.

She's an outstanding country musician and singer; and very deserving of the award presented to her.

------------------
Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, Oregon. USA
Fender 1000 (1957),
Fender PS 210 (1972) &
Gibson Electraharp EH-820
(1962)
Pictures of PS 210 &
EH-820 at http://www.rvi.net/~aldg

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 2:56 am    

The only part I saw was the Dwight song. Gary sounded great I thought. (...and he looked like he was having fun!)
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 4:13 am    

I refused to turn it off because I have been told time and time again the new Country is a great future for the guitar.That one must get with it, there is plenty of work..If that show is any indication of the future of Country Music.Thank god I don't need to work anymore because I wouldn't do any of that $hit.Shame on Brad Paisley for dressing up his band and showing up with his Haines underwear.I guess he knew there wouldn't be the old farts who go to the Opry in the audience...There were more boobs exposed last night and not only those of the women. And to answer the question asked by the male vocalist ( of the year. "what do I think of him now"? Not a whole hell of a lot more than I did before. Did the steel solo in Alan Jacksons song sound great???? Welcome to the World of Country Music?? Did they sell that bridge in New York yet?

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 10 May 2001 at 07:35 AM.]

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 4:22 am    

Hey Jerry be careful about what you let the govenment regulate. I don't think you want that bunch regulating anything, particularly country music or the oil business. Having worked in the oil business for about 26 years I have a pretty clear picture of where the money goes. A large percentage of the money you pay at the pump goes to the government in the form of sales tax and another large chunk goes to pay for the processing of the gasoline to protect the environment. The margin the oil companies get is not as big as most Americans think. As far as I'm concerned the oil business is already regulated enough by the free market. You let the govenment regulate the country music business and you will have the same screwed-up mess.

Just My Opinion
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 5:38 am    

Thanks guys great responce on the award show.I agree 100% with they were just there to show their Boobs and a couple of ugly legs. And most of them lok lik a bunch of you know you see them on the corner once in a while.Ican't beleave that is country music.I would give up learning to play the steel if I had to play that junk.What a disgrace to country music and they do not even have respect for them selfs.I was told by a local old time steel player that the Mob has taken over country music and they want the steel guitar out.Well I got news I'm pushing the Pedal Steel Guitarin our area and all the steel players in our area are backing me 100%.We still have a lot of tradisinal country here and it will continue.
Sam White
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 5:41 am    

Thanks guys great responce on the award show.I agree 100% with they were just there to show their Boobs and a couple of ugly legs. And most of them lok lik a bunch of you know you see them on the corner once in a while.Ican't beleave that is country music.I would give up learning to play the steel if I had to play that junk.What a disgrace to country music and they do not even have respect for them selfs.I was told by a local old time steel player that the Mob has taken over country music and they want the steel guitar out.Well I got news I'm pushing the Pedal Steel Guitarin our area and all the steel players in our area are backing me 100%.We still have a lot of tradisinal country here and it will continue.
Sam White
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 6:33 am    

What a disgrace! That wasn't country music. It was junk and who the he!! does Lee An Rimes think she is? Someone said Brittany Spears...The biggest thrill of the night was for me to see Buck Owens again and knowing he is still kickin' and lookin' good, along with Barbara Mandrell. They didn't even show her steelin' long enough to get a look at the axe she was pickin'....Then the little bit of steel they showed being played live, didn't even sound like true steel. What a trun off for the young steelers. It sounded like any old regular guitar with a fuzz box or distortion effect... DON'T FORGET THOUGH...this craPola may (hopefully) only be a "lull" in the real future of "country" music, as what goes around...comes around...and look at society now...reverting back to the sixties and seventies...clothes, etc. Maybe what we call "country music" will do the same I hope...and go back to it's real roots soon.We can only pray, and help push it in that direction.

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 6:37 am    

I decided to watch with an open mind last night, and while there were a lot of parts I didn't like, I did hear more steel than I thought I would. I still don't care for the Britany/Backdoor Boys-I got my thumb in my backside type music, But I did hear some stuff I could live with. They even featured a couple players on some tunes and they got it right before they were done playing and we couldn't see what they were doing. Jo-Dee does need a pitch pipe. Or maybe that's why all the dancing-to distract from the vocals. I agree about Paisley. I like his singing, but he had a suit on earlier. What happened to it? Saw a lot of that though. It's too bad with the money these people make they can't afford nice clothes. Hey maybe they are spending it all on dancers, smoke, and lights!

------------------
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:09 am    

You really had to wonder how some of the songs/performances on that telecast could be included in a Country Awards show. Some stuff was really good, but what ever Ms. Rimes was doing with those Chipindale dancers, fog machines and pants hanging half off her ass wasn't even an attempt of anything remotely associated with country music past or present. It was almost an in-your-face insult. No wonder Buck Owens looked so out of place.

Take that stuff to MTV or VH1 please. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but wrong show. Same deal with SheDaisy. Nice legs, nice boobs, wrong show for that music.

Speaking of boobs, could Lee Ann Womack have worn less clothes? I really was expecting something to fall out.

I know that pop "country" music has changed dramatically over the past few decades. And I'm fine with that. I am not one to complain about the "old days", but come on Ms. Rimes. I think you really took advantage of your situation.

Yes, pop music of all kinds including "country", is a business and in any business you simply have to follow the money. At some point, you've got to leave emotion out of it. If it sells, play it, I guess. Knock yourselves out.

I thought the steel players did a great job and I thought they were mixed appropriately in the sound feed. Nice pedal and no-pedal work.

Enough for now... Best, -Dave
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:11 am    

I don't listen to country(suburban?) radio anymore so i had no idea who half of the people on that show were. I was looking at some of the folk there and started to wondering if was some kind ofan MTV show. Who was that guy with the pink velvet suit and shaved head ( I had the sound turned down, lucky me,) Complete crap.

Are you sure Hank done it this way?
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:16 am    

Quote:
Shame on Brad Paisley for dressing up his band and showing up with his Haines underwear.

I missed Brad in his underwear? Gosh, darn it.

No mention of Jessica Andrews? I thought she was supposed to be performing. Anybody see her? Did she do "Who I Am" or "Helplessly, Hopelessly" ?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:26 am    

I watched the first 10 minutes or so. The only thing missing for the dancing girls behind Toby Keith was the firepole or whatever they call it. I changed the channel when they announced "And the Winner is Dixie Ch... I would have gotten it on Dix.. but my old fingers are just not as fast as they used to be.

Ken
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:30 am    

LeAnn WHO? What a disgrace to COUNTRY MUSIC

Jeff

Sorry, I can't stop there. Did you notice the bashing she was giving here Dad? Anyone who speaks in Public like that about her own Dad will never have any respect from me in any shape form or fashion. I promise to never buy another LeAnn Rhimes recording until she apoligizes to her Dad in public. Sorry piece of $hit. I know they've had problems, but from my view, if not for her Dad, she wouldn't be where she is today. If she $hits on her Dad that way, can you imagine what she'd do to anyone else that she happed to have a difference of opinion with?

Sorry to ramble on but this really ****ed me off
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 7:47 am    

All the complaining aside, I was more disappointed to see "Vocal Duo of the Year" go to Brooks & Dunn for the millionth time...
I mean, there IS other talent out there just as good.
Are the awards for the most CD's sold or are they for talent?
What ARE they for anyway?
The whole thing leaves me cold.....
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 8:02 am    

I thought my turnoff of country (?) was just an old guy thing. But reading the Forum today; that's not what it is, is it ? Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 10 May 2001 at 09:03 AM.]

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 8:04 am    

I have the $64,000 question:

Why do you guys watch this crap if it bothers you so much ? What are you, Neilson families ?

I didn't watch it, 'cause I think all award shows are crap. Not just CMA awards, but Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, etc. etc.

I think soap operas are stupid, so I don't watch them. I think anyone who watches Survivor must have had a lobotomy... so I don't watch it just so I'll have something to groan about...
I don't like liver, so I don't eat it....
quote:

I refused to turn it off because..

Hehe, yeah, right.
I know why you refused to turn it off, Joe... what's a mill with no grist ?

-John
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 8:16 am    

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 8:20 am    

Hey John, If the awards don't interest you and you are sure what it's all about, why did you check this post? What did you think it was gonna be about? Everybody on here was just analizing it. A person has to vent somewhere and a lot of times this is as good a place as any. That's all we can do cause we can't change the sorry situation the music is in right now.

------------------
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 8:36 am    

I saw a few pieces of it during the commercials on Star Trek Voyager. I caught the Song Of The Year and only recognized one song (which sucked and lost anyway). I caught AJ and enjoyed the fact that there was a steel solo in his song (but why the crappy fuzztone?).

I didn't tape it.

Voyager was good last night. Neelix's final episode. Cool.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 10 May 2001 9:41 am    

I found the awards show fascinating. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....IT DID!

[This message was edited by Larry Clark on 10 May 2001 at 10:43 AM.]