| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milton Brown lyrics--please help
Piney Woods

Lawrence, KS, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 6:07 am    

Saturday night we were sitting at a friend's house playing dominoes and listening to the great Milton Brown box set. There was one line of a song that was driving us crazy and we could not figure out. It's the last line of the last verse of "Weezie-anna", where the sailor strikes a match on her back and says "I beg your pardon,miss,I thought you ........." ????? Anybody know this, or any former Brownies still out there we could ask?

[This message was edited by Piney Woods on 16 May 2001 at 06:56 AM.]

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 4:05 pm    

i just listened to it several times, with and without headphones.

whatever it is, it sounds like it is pronounced "exti-genesis" or possibly "eckstine-genesis".

less likely "exi-genesis" or "exine-genesis"

my meager dictionaries are no help. if it were "extra-genesis" or like that, i would assume it meant that Anna was not a decendant of adam and eve--e.g. outside of the human race. that still may be what milton meant, but i don't have a proper spelling of the word and i can't find anything for an ext or exti prefix that helps.

pretty sure of the "genesis" portion.

if my speculation is right about the meaning, then the sailor is apologizing to anna for assuming she was a rock or some other non-human thing when he tried to strike a match on her flesh.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 5:44 pm    

Quote:
then the sailor is apologizing to anna for assuming she was a rock or some other non-human thing when he tried to strike a match on her flesh.
Clearly the highpoint of popular song writing. I once thought of the exact same theme for a song but declined to write it for obvious reasons.