| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Perry Como passes
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 12 May 2001 7:50 pm    

Guess this was expected. He was 88.

There was and is plenty of Perry's music in this house.
Now Playing Catch A Falling Star

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 3:38 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:27 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 6:08 am    

One of the last of the "crooners", Perry was a smooth singer, and a laid back entertainer. Sound-wise, I always thought he was the "Jim Reeves" of pop music. His popularity declined in the mid '60s, after the inrush of new rock n' roll styles became popular, but he remained a capable ballad singer for many years, and continued to appear on specials, and at Christmastime. His main TV show ran from 1958-1963, but he had done TV long before that. Many young people would not remember that the "Letters" theme, used on the David Letterman show, originated on Perry's show over 45 years ago.

I, for one, will miss him.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 8:48 am    

I remember when I was around 10 or 11, and he had a hit record that went "Find a wheel, and it goes round round round..." We used to sing "Burn the school, down to the ground ground ground..."

Back in the mid to late 50's it was funny. Today I'm afraid some people would take it as an instruction rather than a joke.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 10:27 am    

Indeed yes, except for Tony Bennett, Perry is the last of the great crooners that filled the airwaves back in the 40's 50s's and 60's.

And you are correct, R & R destroyed that era maybe forever, I don't know.

I do know this, I loved Perry Como better than all the rest. I remember well, crooners like Dick Haymes, Bing Crosby and soo many more. But NO one will ever be what Perry Como was.

And IMHO, one of the things that endeared himself to sooo many millions of devoted fans was his demeanor when NOT performing. To know him was to love him. A rare trait indeed. Of course his golden voice was as close to absolute as a singer can get I believe.

God rest Perry's soul. He WILL be missed,

carl
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 13 May 2001 1:24 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:27 PM.]

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 2:11 pm    

TODAY I'M VERY SAD!!

------------------
If it feels good. do it.
If it feels Country,
DO IT TWICE
JPP

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 6:29 pm    

Gene,,,your wife is right ,,,Tony Mottola,,here I go again,,,,I did the Como show three times with Como and the Fontaine sisters ,,,recorded with them,,,,on RCA Victor,,,Perry was a great human being,,it really makes me sad,,,a wonderful family man and a dedicated christian...
Terry Gibbs Tony Mottola & I did a trio with the Mitchell Ayres orchestra on a few TV shots,,,,although I knew he was aging ,,,I dreaded the thought of losing him .God has another great singer and human being now,,,
Jody If you ever come across the Fontaine sisters recording of "Tennesee Waltz" get it for me,,,I cant find it anywhere,,,,, I did that with them,,,,,
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 8:25 pm    

Gene ,,,,forgot Herb Ellis played guitar with Mort Lindsay orchestra with Ray Brown on bass ,,they did the Merv Griffin show,,here I go again,,,I did that show too.

Now I will get e mails that Iam bragging again,,,but if I dont brag about me ,,,,who will??? remember the trumpet player on the Griffin show,,,,cool guy good horn player and a funny guy,,,how about Arthur Treacher,,,man Iam getting old,,,,hope you guys had a good day today,,,,Jody PS did you know that I worked with the Three stooges? I was the 4th Stooge "standby"
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 3:44 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:28 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 7:17 am    

That trumpet player with the Griffin show was Jack Sheldon, if he's the guy we're both thinking of. Played with Benny Goodman also, and was a good buddy of Chet Baker's. A very funny cat.

Re: Bragging... a few years ago an obviously non-professional whiner on the Forum accused me of "name dropping" in a borderline obscene email. I wrote back to him that I was fortunate enough in my career to have worked with some "name" artists, that everything I wrote was true and I was proud of my work history. If there was a problem with that, the problem was his. And that envy was a terrible emotion to harbor.

Pay no attention to those guys. In their hearts, they wish they had the career you did.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 7:49 am    

WHAT HERB SAYS! AND AMEN, TO THAT

------------------
If it feels good. do it.
If it feels Country,
DO IT TWICE
JPP

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 10:11 am    

Jack Sheldon also made a few "guest star" appearances on t.v during the sixties, usually playing a "spaced-out" musician. It seemed to be a role he was comfortable with. A very funny guy.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 10:37 am    

Hey ,,,you guys have a better memory than I do ,,,it was Jack Sheldon,,,Herb are you sure you are not older than me?

Gene I guess you are right about the "braggin" but I dont have a horn to blow
as I am running out of "wind" with these long posts I make,,,Im not bragging ,,,it was just that it was part of my life,,,I never told you that I played opposite Marilyn Monroe in a Movie did I ??? I went under the name of Tony Curtis years ago.
Really sorry to see Perry Como pass...of all the big band singers,,,he was most laid back
and was never controverial,,,and his private life was always something of "class" Thank you for your help guys,,,,He once said to me
in jest"" hey kiddo" you need a haircut,,,then said ,,,where did you get that name Jody?? the same question Buddy Rich asked me,,,my real name is Joe,,,,but there are so many Joe's like Joe DiMaggio and I just didnt want to be a "plain old guy named Joe....but they did a tune for me,,in fact Frankie Laine did it for me,,,Hey Joe.
He meant me,,,I never told that story,,,,I was a famous guy one time,,,I had my name in lights everywhere you went,,,,the signs said
EXIT,,,,,that was my nickname before Jody
"Copyright(c) 2001 by Jody Carver "All Rights Reserved

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 16 May 2001 at 11:54 AM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 11:55 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:29 PM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 12:58 pm    

Quote:
...remember the trumpet player on the Griffin show,,,,cool guy good horn player and a funny guy,,,

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody,that would be Jack Sheldon,who starred in his own sitcom,("Run,Buddy Run") from 9/66 to 1/67. He played the part of "Buddy Overstreet.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 3:10 pm    

Gene,,,,your wife is smarter than some of the musicians out there,,,now I know who does your arrangements....She should have some kind of recognition for her ability to hear a tempo,,,,and besides should receive an award to be married to a great steel player like Gen Jones,,,I think you deserve recognition too,, we really like each other dont we,,,wonder what the other people out there think of us..

Hey Smiley How do I know the answer to that question,,,,Im not as old as you,,,ask Felix Chalero ,,,The first fender dealer in New England,,,but I think he is with Leo now playing cards.....

I know you worked with Conway Twitty,,,he was one of my favorites too,,,why dont you post something about your experiences with him,,,,you are a modest guy,,,I think some of these people ,if not all would like it,,
I for one would ,,,be well Jody
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 4:02 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:30 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 5:45 pm    

Gene ,,,,you are too too modest
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 5:47 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:31 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 6:40 pm    

Quote:
Herb are you sure you are not older than me?

Jody, you're older than me, but I've been awake more hours!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 6:53 am    

Herb,,,,you awake more hours than me,??
Maybe ,,,,but I had to stay awake I learned that lesson from the corporate structure of CBS,,,never sleep on the job besides I come from the "City That Never Sleeps" New York New York It's a wonderfull town Frank Sang that all the time . ....

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 May 2001 at 09:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 May 2001 at 09:29 AM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 2:18 pm    

Jody,
Don't let some @$$holes shake you up. As the ol' sayin' goes,"It's better to be a 'has-been',than a 'never-was' "! Everybody has to be a "has-been" someday. You've,probably,done more things,in one day, that some of these clowns,that're hassling you,have only dreamt about doing,in their entire lifetime. Old "Polish" saying:"Illigitimus Non Carborundum".
("Don't let the ß@§tards wear you down !")

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 3:40 pm    

Smiley those people dont "shake me up" just that they have no sense of humor,,,& I dont feel comfortable trying in vain to add some laughs here and there,,,,it is a futile attempt,,,like working in a "mortuary" trying to get a "rise" out of a stiff,,,I find many nice people on the "Forum" but many are not what I would like to spend my time with...like having a Big Mac or a slice of Pizza,,,,they are more like you would find
lurking in dark area's in the subways,,,maybe I could use "mole control' to shake them loose from the ground they came from....How do you like me so far??? PS
I had to add this,,,,dont put the blame on some of the fellows who are not regarded as pro's,,,,there a few pro's on here that may play in a proffesional manner,,,,but their
" manners are far from proffesional,,,can you dig it???? I hope so,,,,get the "mole control & I will be back,,,I have one more to add in my book of stories and then Iam GONE,,,,like "frankly Smiley" I dont give a damm( words of Brett Butler" Clark Gable "Gone with The Wind" like ME they will have more room to "strut" their feathers without me around,,,,been there done that etc etc. I got a life,,,,do they????

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 May 2001 at 04:51 PM.]

Pete Mitchell

Buda, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 3:56 pm    

Hey Jody,

I loved "mole control." Ha, ha, ha. Pete

P.S. Is Hank Sinatra, who features Automatic Slim, out of Toronto? Does anyone know?

[This message was edited by Pete Mitchell on 15 May 2001 at 04:58 PM.]