| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Veteran's Day
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 10:18 am    

Just a note acknowledging those veterans here on the forum who have represented freedom in the U.S. via through military service. My hat is respectfully off to all of you. Best, Boomer
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 12:49 pm    

Danke Schoen
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 7:53 pm    

I think that Boomer said it about as well as it could be said! I would just like to add; that if not for our Veterans, we wouldn't have the freedoms that we too often take for granted. For those freedoms: Thank You!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 2:05 am    

10-4 let Freedom ring.
Thank you Veterans for payin' the price of Peace.
Steel rememberin'
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 6:32 am    

Peace Prosparity and Technology

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 5:50 pm    

God bless all our vets and thank you for your sacrifice...Pat
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 3:45 am    

Here is a story from my Dad>A Veteran.

"We have all heard the haunting melody of "Taps." It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes. But do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be pleased to find out about its humble beginnings.
Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing, Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land. During the night, Captain Ellisombe heard the moans of a soldier who was severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward the encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission to give his son a full military burial despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted. The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was denied since the soldier was a Confederate. But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him one musician. The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, which we now know as "Taps" used at military funerals, was born.

Day is done Gone the sun >From the lakes >From the hills >From the sky All is well, safely rest. God is nigh. Fading light Dims the sight And a star Gems the sky, Gleaning bright >From afar, Drawing nigh, Falls the night. Thanks and praise, For our days, Neath the sun, Neath the stars, Neath the sky, As we go, This we know, God is nigh.

I, too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along. I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before."

I worship the ground my Dad walks on and I am truley Proud of him; and for sharing this great story about a great song.

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 8:12 am    

Ricky you put a lump in my throut also

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 9:30 am    

In my business I do a lot of work getting mortgages for Veterans who are buying houses. These guys do not get anywhere near enough respect as far as I'm concerned, and yet I've never heard any of them whine about it a lick. Seems you can't even get a crowd to a Veterans Day parade anymore.

A class act all of them...Thanks for all your efforts

john

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 9:51 am    

Ricky, That is a great story!! Thanks for sharing it!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 10:38 am    

Thanks so much to all! Theresa
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 10:45 am    

There is a song that comes to mind when I think about Veterans' Day.

It is by Mark Collie and can be found on his "Hardin County Line" CD.

The song is "Another Old Soldier" and it always brings a tear to my eyes.

"Wearin a Silver Star on his chest
Damn proud to say he was one of the best.
21 guns and Stars and Stripes
Eye full of tears a heart full of pride
When you hear that distant bugle play
Another old soldier fades away"

It wasn't released as a single so most stations wouldn't play it anyway, and I think the CD is out of print, but I happen to think it is Collie's best song.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 6:32 pm    

My Dad, now deceased, was a verteran of WWII and Korea. I have always flown my flag on Veterans Day in support of him and all other veterans for what they have done for our country and me.

Last Saturday, SAn Jose California had their annual parade. My 7 year old daughter and her fellow Beauty Pageant winners were a part of that parade. I found a nice sunny spot about 1/3 of the way through the parade route to watch the parade. From where I was I could see more than half of the route. I was shocked to see no more than maybe 50 people lined up watching the parade. It really apalls me to see such pathetic turnout to pay our respects. I held back tears as these Veterans, some in wheel chairs in small busses, as they made their way past me. I applauded every veteran group that passed me.

Pretty soon, these survivors of Hell on Earth will all be gone and become just another chapter in a history book that kids don't want to read. I'm proud to say that I am reading those chapters now when it really means something.

OK, I'm off the soapbox now.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 9:13 pm    

I'm trying to delete my post, I was venting a little too much.

How come we can no longer delete our posts?

[This message was edited by Harry Hess on 15 November 2000 at 10:40 PM.]

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 4:49 pm    

Richard, listen to the Australian folk song "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda". It's as sad a veteran's song as you'll ever hear. Your description of the parade is in that song.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 11:08 pm    

Thanks Boomer-
I served 35 months and 20 days in World War II. Never touch my steel guitar.Stopped my budding career cold! Played songs in my head.
Then when I got out in 1945, got my D8 ,and guitar and in 3 weeks was out playing with a band 6 nights a week.

Our generation is dying at the rate of 1000 a day, according to Tom Brokaw. A lot of my old friends are gone.........al
Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2000 7:56 pm    

One of the great heros of WW1 was Sargent Alvin C. York. You may have seen the movie about his heroics. He was played by Gary Cooper. York's statue can be seen on the State of Tennessee Capitol lawn. The southeast corner. One of the great heroes of WW2 was Audie Murphy. Audie was from Texas and made many movies. His last living hours were spent in Nashville. His plane left Nashville and crashed in Virginia killing all on board.