| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What were your favorite TNN shows from the "good ole days"?
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 2:23 pm    

Now that the final "death knell" for TNN has been sounded, Let's reflect on some of the great shows TNN aired in the early days. Some of my favorites were, Archie Campbell's Yesteryear in Nashville, The Bobby Bare songwriters show, On Stage, The Ernest Tubb show reruns, You Can Be A Star (hosted wonderfully by Jim Ed Brown and with a great band led by Mike Johnson), and of course the various Prime Time live series. Even the old movies hosted by Riders in the Sky and "The Phantom of the Opry" were enjoyable. And how about those early soap opera type comedy shows with Lionel Cartwright? All in all TNN was a dream come true for me in it's first ten years or so. Sadly, I doubt if this type of programming will ever return but, I sure hope so. Your thoughts......

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 20 September 2000 at 03:25 PM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 3:36 pm    

"Nashville Now"

------------------
CJC

Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 4:41 pm    

"Pickin At The Paradice"
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 5:59 pm    

The old "Nashville Alive" shows (precursor to "Nashville Now") were really great. They featured the "sound machine" of Buddy Emmons and Phil Baugh! These shows were very little talk, and mostly music. A small 6-piece band, tight stage, no fancy sets or lights. It was a music show that ranked with the best such as "Austin City Limits". Emcee Ralph Emery did what he does best...introducing the acts with a few smooth words, and then came the music!

This was a really great show with no long-winded interviews, no slick production stuff and no puppets! In other words, a real, intimate, "music lovers" show. It started (at least on my cable ntwork) about 1980, and went on for a good 5 years. I taped a few of them, and if I had known that it would never get any better than this, I'd have taped ALL of 'em. GOD, I miss it!

(I Don't know why TNN doesn't put 4 or 5 of these shows on a video tape, and then sell them for $25 each. I think they could make some money, and do Country Music a big service at the same time!)

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 20 September 2000 at 07:02 PM.]

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 7:08 pm    

Actually "Nashville Alive" was on TBS. It was a "Dress Rehersal" if you will, for the Nashville Network before it's launch. The Sound Factory was also the "house band" on Purina's "That Nashville Music" at that time. A TNN show I enjoyed was "Country Standard Time" Which featured many clips from the old "syndicated" shows produced in Nashville.

[This message was edited by Stephen Gregory on 20 September 2000 at 08:11 PM.]

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 7:42 pm    

I'll take, Music City Tonite! Tommy & Wanda out front, Twas all downhill from then on!
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 1:25 am    

I gotta go with,"Yesteryear....". I wish someone would've carried it on,after Archie's passing.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 8:24 am    

Me and Jack Stoner's wife watched the Rodeo together Ray
Yesteryear,Ralph Emery,Statlers.
------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

[This message was edited by Ray Jenkins on 21 September 2000 at 09:26 AM.]

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 9:37 am    

I missed out on "Nashville Alive" but I sure do enjoy the theme song, as performed by its composer!
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 3:47 pm    

We didn't get TNN up here in Flag town then, but when we would go down to Phx to visit our daughter they had reruns of ET with willie Nelson in a Suit and Jack Green. Now that was country. But thats been 25 years ago? And the old Nashville Now.
Bob Carlson

------------------
Uff Da

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 21 September 2000 at 04:47 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 3:54 pm    

I liked Church Street Station. It usually had Buddy & Phil Baugh on a lot of those shows too. Also I liked the one Mark O'Conner hosted from Vanderbilt University but I can't think of the name of it right now. Had Brent Mason on Guitar, and Jerry Douglas on Dobro.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2000 9:43 pm    

"New Country" gave a lot of people national exposure and I bought more than a few albums after hearing them "live". Besides, Bruce Bouton used to play on the show a lot.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 1:10 am    

American Music Shop had Mark O'Connor, Paul Franklin, and Brent Mason (super-duper guitarist) backing people up. Someone could make a fortune releasing those on video - cult status stuff. I remember Marty Stuart and Danny Gatton together. Or Jann Browne and Jim Lauderdale.

I remember 15 years ago, I was watchin' Merle sing "Let's Chase Each Other 'Round the Room Tonite" on Ralph Emory and thinking life was not gonna get any better than this. I was right.

I also remember Clint Strong on a half-hour program playing Django Rhinehardt out the as* with Freddy Powers. Is there a CD of that around anywhere??

TNN, I have have missed you for a long time before now. Thank you CBS for finally sealing the coffin! TNN's death has lasted too long... I quit watchin' a long time ago (except for Opry).

Sam in AZ

[This message was edited by Sam Marshall on 22 September 2000 at 02:15 AM.]

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 6:19 am    

Me too Sam. Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2000 4:29 pm    

When I used to visit with my Grandchildren in Florida, I used to watch "Church Street Station" from Orlando.

It was great! And Buddy was on there quite a bit with his Sierra....the good ole days, Hal Rugg with the Wilburn Brothers on TNN.

I used to watch TNN lots in the early days, that was the only place on Tv then to see good Country Music Shows and watch the steel guitar players...Outside of the opry, it is all gone, too bad.....al.
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2000 2:35 am    

E.T. PROGRAM
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 9:00 am    

One of my good memories was doing Church Street Station behind Larry Boone with BE on steel. Not a bad steel man.

My greatest memory however was doing "The Bobby Lord Show" in the mid-sixties with two up and coming songwriters: Hank Cochran and Willie Nelson. I was always a fan of "The Wilburn Bros. Show" and the "The Ernest Tubb Show". Both featured Loretta Lynn, which made my day. Best, Boomer
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 9:35 am    

Those talent shows (You can be a Star, Be a Star, Charlie Daniels' Talent Roundup) with Mike Johnson on steel were very important for me. I recorded the audio of several of them in hopes of copping those licks. IMO, Jim Ed Brown was an annoying MC, but the band was hot.

"Nashville Now" sometimes. Somehow I was not much of a Ralph Emery fan.

One show that was on briefly was called something like, "Play it again Nashville." Again, Mike Johnson on steel and they would pick a year and sing the hits of that date.

I think a DJ named Charlie Douglas (?) was the MC and I really liked him. I really liked that show.
BDBassett

Rimrock AZ
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 9:15 pm    

In the fall of 1982, I had just recently moved to N'ville and with my singer/songwriter wife (at that time) Susan Falconer, we were eeking out a living playing little gigs here and there. Of course we had heard of the big doings at TNN and were looking forward to the inaugural shows.
At one point I was scanning over the want adds when I happened upon an announcment that contestants were being sought for a new game show called Fandango...remember that one?...
I had to go apply and by golly, qualified as a contestant. What a gas that was. Bill Anderson was the host of the Country Music trivia format game show. I was told to bring several changes of clothes to the taping as I might wind up on more than one show.
I easily made it through the first round and the second swiftly hitting my buzzer and deftly answering each question. Then...as the pressure built, I choked on one of the easiest questions of all...I'll never forget it.
"Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed starred in 3 movies together, Smokey and the Bandit, Smokey and the Bandit II and one other. Name the third movie?
I drew an absolute blank and was aced out by someone I later learned had to be a ringer. Ira Louvin's daughter beat me to the answer, Cannonball Run.
I did, however, win a GE electric iron, a case of Cepecal mouthwash and an assortment of Hawaian Tropic tanning oils.
It was about 6 months later when we,(The Susan Falconer Show) were playing the Stagedoor Lounge in the Opryland Hotel every night after Nashville Now was finished airing that someone in the lobby spotted me and said, "You're on TV!" that I caught a few minutes of Fandango and saw myself loose to the lovely Miss Louvin.
But that is nor my favorite memory of TNN, The early years. My favorite memory is hanging out with Larry Sasser, Fred Newell and Hoot Hester night after night. Now that was a gig to remember.
MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 1:09 pm    

Bobby Bare and Friends
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 9:01 am    

http://www.musicrow.com/2012/04/tnn-to-return-this-summer/

It's coming back as a digital sub-channel ala, This TV, Antenna TV, RTV. Good News!!
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 9:36 am    

My favorite show on TNN was American Music Shop. When it first started Brent Rowan was on guitar, later Brent Mason took his spot, but what a band. Mark O'Connor, Jerry Douglas, Paul Franklin, Harry Stinson and always great guests.
I watched Nashville Now religiously just to watch Fred and Larry if nothing else. In some ways I think it was great somewhat by default. Since it was taped 5 days a week they couldn't get the top stars for every show, hence a lot of lesser known and rarely seen on TV performers were featured. Doc Watson, Roy Bookbinder, Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson, Duane Eddy to name a few.
Ralph definitely had a few "no duh" moments. I remember once when the Frets magazine award winners were on the show. Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas and Mark O'Connor. Ralph was talking to Tony who won for best flat picker. Ralph asked him why it was called flat picking. Tony held up his pick and said "see this pick, it's flat."
Another was when he asked Chris Hillman how there old friend Gram Parsons was doing. Chris said, "he's still dead Ralph."

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 10:06 am    

great memories..
i loved the church street station with buddy and jimmy dean..whatta wise ass!

mike johnson impressed me no end on u cn b a star or whatever. and before that making incredibly cool arrangements for whispering bill. i think mike is largely responsible for turning country 'hip'!

american music shop with vince, albert, danny gatton and all those greats. vince's guitar stood out best to me because of his beautiful tone.
course now that i know albert...ya gotta love him!
i always thought ralph emery was kind of a dolt with a crappy personality but i loved the shows. loved fred newell's guitar playing..

compare this era with it's focus on actual 'musicianship' to todays media offerings...doesn't anyone realize how important the pickers are to the music world?

and any show that had leon rhodes...wow!

now we get scotty mccreery singing to a music track.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 11:36 am    

I got into watchin' the Opry on TNN right after I started playin' steel and there was one show of it that featured Jean Sheppard, Steve Holy, Tammy Cochran, and Jim & Jesse McReynolds. Tommy White played steel with Steve Holy on "Good Morning Beautiful", steel on "I Cry", dobro on "Angels In Waiting" with Tammy Cochran, and steel with Jim & Jesse on "Under Your Spell Again. Dave Robbins played steel with Jean on the opening song she sang called "Gone, Gone, Gone", and "Secret Love", where her version was a slower country version of the song. Dave's black Emmons and Tommy's blue Derby were featured. The show aired right around the time Chet Atkins died because there was a tribute to Chet after "Secret Love", where Jean's band played "Country Gentleman". Jim and Jesse talked about how they were fans of country music songs of the '60s.

Brett

Last edited by Brett Day on 20 Apr 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 12:05 pm    

American Music Shop. I'll bet I have at least a dozen episodes taped.