| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Rare Night Out -- At Bobby Mackey's
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 12:09 pm    

I don't get out to the honky tonks much, but last night I finally made it down to Bobby Mackey's.

For 3 years I've seen Chuck Rich play the Lexington Show and have told him and his band members that I'd get down to see them.

I could only stay a little while, so it was great to bump into Chuch Rich standing just inside the door, he was literally the first person I saw. We had a nice chat and then the real fun began.

I could only stay for one set and it was a doozy. Bobby Mackey sings everything from Jimmy Rodgers to The Tractors, and Tim McGraw. Of course in between all that, there were at least 4 Haggard tunes, 3 Jones tunes, and Ray Price (Kristofferson) tunes.

The band took a break, and the jukebox began with Shania, but a karoke singer quickly recovered with Kiss and Angel Good Morning.

If you're ever in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area check 'em out. Chuck's a fantastic player. He plays a Franklin D-10. He played Scotty's in years past, but his day job makes it tough to get there (he works Saturdays in sports x-rays--checking all those broken bones from Friday night HS football games).

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 23 July 2000 at 01:11 PM.]

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 8:17 pm    

Ron, thanks for posting on Chuck. To me, he and Ernie Lainhart (Bobby's guitarist) are the standard of excellence for Cincinnati Country Music. The majority of so-called "Country"(basically bad Southern Rock) players in this city don't realize what a treasure these guys are. Chuck's the reason that Rusty Young or Jerry Garcia didn't impress me as Steel Players. Imagine turning on your T.V. every week and getting to see a player up there with "E",Chalker and the rest of the greats!!! Bob,thanks for mentioning the Hayride,what a neat show.