| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boomer Castleman CD!!!!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 12:57 pm    

Hey Gang,
Boomer just sent me an advance copy of his CD "Personal Notes" and let me tell you Tele players, pedal steel players, or just musicians in general "You'd better get a copy of this bad boy!" If you don't know Boomer, he plays a Telecaster with six (6) palm pedals and I mean he plays 'em. This thing starts off with "Little Rock Getaway" which starts as a slow Acapella thing with great chords embellished with pedal bends and then takes off to a fast 2/4 with some hot pickin! Cut #2 is called "Fender Bender" which is more in the vein of Telecaster bridge pickup things which is a wealth of licks we can all try to steal if we're capable! I'm trying to cop a few of them but it's going to take some time. Cut #3 is the old Elvis Presley Sun record thing done instrumentally called "Mystery Train. On this one Boomer keeps the Scotty Moore feel of the original going throughout while putting some modern hot chicken pickin' over the top of it. Cut #4 is an instrumental version of Merle Haggard's "Workin' Mans Blues". I personally like this one the best of all because I play this song a lot with other bands and there's some refreshing new ideas here without losing the original feel of the thing. Most of us do this tune with our bands and this'll give you some good ways to play backup or to give new life to your solos if you can handle the licks. Cut #6 is a medley of Danny Boy and Yesterday which is simply beautiful. It's a slow piece with lots of chords featuring bends and some awesome counterpoint. #7 is the old fiddle tune "Orange Blossom Special". There's a lot of surprises in this one and you'll dig it a lot. I liked the echo effects on the 2nd go around. I've rambled on enough for now so I'll go a little quicker. The next two cuts are "Early Time" and "San Antonio Rose". All of the above apply on these two. The last tune is called "Chihuahua". This is a very fast single note thing with a Mexican feel. It almost has a kind of 60's instrumental rock thing going on. I don't know if it's a remake of one of Boomers's old things or not but it's a good one.

Boomer, if you're out there, thanks for the CD Bud, I really appreciate it and you need to get this thing out so these folks can enjoy it too! I played it for ol' Sleepy John and he said "Hey, I think I got a new guitar hero".........Nuff said?

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 3:28 pm    

Your right about Curly playing guitar. He could burn it up.
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 4:24 pm    

Thank you all for the kudos. Being appreciated by my peers - believe it or not - means more to me than any monetary rewards I might achieve from playing. Jerry, I hope and pray you're feeling better these days.

Earl - right on about Curly. Many don't know it, but he was a good horn player as well.

Best, Boomer
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2000 6:03 pm    

Boomer, when your CD is ready I'd like to buy a copy.Let me know when its ready.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 6:14 pm    

Geez Jerry, you do better Cd reviews than I do and I'm trying to make a living from it.

Hmm Sleepy, you still got that bass, how much for it, I think I need a new career path {LOL}

Boomer, be sure to post when you get a deal for this baby.

------------------
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 3:47 am    

Sleepy, I've wanted to know the answer to this next question ever since I saw you post when I first came on the forum. How did you come by the handle "Sleepy John" I hope its a story you can tell . And thanks to you for your kind words.

Jason, I'll make sure you and Earl both get a copy of "Personal Notes". Keep us updated on the status of your book. Anything to do with the California Country scene from the sixties and seventies is close to my heart. Last night I played on the Gene Clark (the Byrds) tribute in Nashville at 12th & Porter
and it was a great nostalgic evening. Best, Boomer
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:07 am    

Hey Boomer,
I forgot to ask you who the other musicians on the CD were. The fiddle player does some nice stuff on Little Rock Getaway. I like the double stuff he does with you on "Move". The bass player cooks throughout the whole thing too. I can't say anything about the drummer as they're not musicians anyway!

For everyone else, I forgot to review the tune "Move" in my initial post. It's a total jazz thing and it proves ol' Boomer ain't just another hillbilly picker (although there's nothing wrong with that) he's got some great jazz chops and they're really displayed here with the fiddle player doing some unison work which is great!

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:47 am    

John I was wondering how you got the name "Sleepy"> I couldn't figure out how a guy stays on two Forums all night works,(Maybe)raises his new Bass player. Heck I thought "Sleepless" John might fit better. Great words on Curley. He always made me feel at home when he was GiGing at the old H>O>F lounge and the big red Guitar was always behind the steel. I use to get there before old Gee Haw Jones would walk in,we use to do the same songs. Can you Imagine Emmons sittin in on bass,Lenny Breau (Breault) on the widest guitar neck I ever seen. "Memories".Smiley was roadworkin all the time so Doc Peters and myself would be there nightly.Talk about a chance to go to school. Heck the old security Guard was Wade RAY.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 20 April 2000 at 08:49 AM.]

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:18 am    

Hey Boomer, you're on the 'list' and then some, drop me an email anytime.
I've been in touch with Bobby Warford of late, just got an email on his whole career in short {actually it was quite long}, I'll have to send you my notes on the 1960's Pal' band. Most of the folks I write to are 'baby boomers' like yourself and Herb {no pun intended} and were too young to see most of the 1960's Palomino groups unless it was on Cal's Corral.

the Gene Clark tribute sounds pretty cool to, and yes I nearly mentioned it before Earl has a CD in the works as well. Telecaster and all I believe.

Sleepy, I figured you got that nickname as you were so laid back in your approach to the casual observer!...at least that's what I say when people call me dopey!
Seriously though I like it, in Australia there's a serious trend where you basically add a 'y' to the last name, eg. Oddy, Smitty, Jonsey, etc.
Or place an 'o' after the first name, eg. Danno, Davo, Steveo..you get the picture.

------------------
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 1:39 pm    

Jerry - the musicians were as follows:
Ron Oates - vibes & strings on "Move" and "Danny Boy"/"Yesterday".

Holly O'Dell - fiddle on "Move" and "Little Rock Getaway"

Ron Hughes - bass on "Move"
Charlie Chadwick - bass on "Fender Bender" and "Danny Boy"/"Yesterday", "Early Times"

Bob Warren - Drums on "Fender Bender"

on the cut "Chihuahua" I recorded that years ago in CA, and but for the drummer, Spider Webb, I can't remember everyone on that date.
I programmed drums and played bass on the other cuts. "Chihuahua" and "Fender Bender" are originals.

Sleepy John - "Boomer" is my legal middle name. My full name is Owens Boomer Castleman. Everyone thinks its a nickname, but its not.

Jason - I know its hard to believe, but I played "Cal's Corral" back in the mid sixties with Michael Martin Murphey. We were "The Texas Twosome" in those days. Clarence White was in a band with his brothers called "The Kentucky Colonels", and they did the same show.

Thank you all again. Best, Boomer
Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 2:21 pm    

Boomer - I'd definately like to buy a copy of this CD when it comes out. Be sure to let us all know, or send me an e-mail when it's available.
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:39 pm    

Cal's Corral Boomer?
Cool!..you know John Delgatto of Sierra Records and myself have been swapping emails for a while and apparently there are no tapes that were made from Cal's. They didn't tape the show much, and when they did it was for backup or something and them wiped for the next show, or continually taped over!
Oh moicy..that means that footage of the Texas Twosome, the Golden State Boys, Rose Maddox, The Kentucky Colonels, Wynn Stewart, Buddy Cagle, Dale Bennett, Jerry Inman, Danny Michaels & the Rebel Playboys, Sammy Masters, Blackie Taylor and about a zillion others are never going to show up.

Anyone out there who taped the show for whatever reason should contact John Delgatto or Sammy Masters, you can get their contacts through me if you want.

Jason.

------------------
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:59 pm    

Hold on Jason Let me run thru my tons of tapes, I do have some of the "Coral",Man they are 40 some (excuse the pun)odd years old.My first wife use to tape when she knew I was going to be on. She was making sure I guess that's where I was. I know I have Sammy Masters,Lucille Starr-Bob Regan "aka Canadian Sweethearts". Shorty Bacon,Jimmy Snyder ,Milly Mize. And Billy bacon and a skinny dude (two guess's on bass. Now I will see if I can locate and play it. And make you a cassette. I hope I hope.The tapes were made on an old ROBERTS stereo Reel to reel at the slowest speed so she could get the whole 3 hours.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 20 April 2000 at 09:01 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 10:09 pm    

Boom
Looks like we're gonna have to do a CD swap, ol' brother!

Jason
Did you know that Cal Worthington also sponsored a half-hour live country TV each weeknight, called "Country Music Time?"

As I try to mine the deep memory banks, I seem to recall Billy Mize was the MC, Norman Whistler played the fiddle, and I think Carl Walden was also involved. I remember it being broadcast around 1964-65. Somebody help me here...

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 11:57 pm    

Jason:

There apparently is some historical record of Cal's Corral: an LP on red vinyl called "Souvenir Album" on Cal's Corral 100. The artists are Fred Maddox, Tex Carmen, Tom Tall, Billy Armstrong, Billy (or Buddy?) Mize, Gene Davis, Sammy Masters, and possibly Buck Owens. I have not heard it, but i assume it to be a true live recording rather some type of studio fake.

Don't know when it was issued.
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 6:09 am    

Howard - Thanks for the interest, and I will definitely let you know the status when its released. Ditto Herb, let's do it.

When I start a label, Sleepy John and Jerry Hayes are going to run it for me. What great PR guys they are for me! I thank both of you.
And Sleepy John, what breed of dog is Boomer going to be? I'm kind of a mongrel myself, but to keep up respectability here in Brentwood TN, I have to tell the city council
I'm Irish

Joe, I'm not a rich man, but I would pay pretty dearly for any of the tapes of "Cal's Corral" you can find with Murphey and me on it. And thank you Jason for mentioning the Worthington show, as I wouldn't have thought about that for a hundred dollars. Best, Boomer
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 10:48 pm    

Joe, let me get this right..you have tapes of one of the most sought after TV shows in SoCal????????
Was that you playing bass for Mr. Snyder, Billy and the Bacon brothers?

Man, I have spent so much time lamenting this and checking out anyone who has any, not to mention people like Sammy Masters and John Delgatto who have houded Cal and old Channel 13 employees looking for the tapes.
Wow!

On the LP of Cal's I haven't been able to find much, although I just got an email from Sammy Masyers today, and was planning to ask him about that among other things.

This is what Sammy said in an interview late last year:
Quote:
There may be a few tapes from Cal's Corral...I have a friend checking out the possibilities of there being such tapes around. I do have two or three audio tapes of Cal's Corral, also one tape of a half hour radio show I did with The Frontiersmen and Joany, along with part of Spade's band. I have a highly treasured copy of the Cal's Corral LP

A few audio tapes that have surfaced, some for a compilation of live Johhny Cash material from various TV shows during his stint in SoCal. While Glen Glenn who appeared on the show in the 1950's and 1960's performing country and rockabilly has hadsome 1960-61 live recordings from Cal's on a compilation of his own.

Even though two of SoCal's most important bluegrass groups the Golden State Boys and the Kentucky Colonels appeared on the show all the time, there has been no tapes or footage to surface.

Herb, with Billy Mize hosting Tv shows, off the top of my head their was Cousin Herb Hensons' Trading Post, which Billy appeared on for years, Cousin Herb had some heart problems and died Nov, 26th 1963. I think Billy was already hosting it {since 1962} due to Cousin Herb's health.
So atthis stage he was hosting the Trading Post in Bakersfield..which from what I can tell evolved into the Billy Mize show.
He also had to travelto LA to work on 'the Melody Ranch Show',which was part of Gene Autry's empire.

I can't seem to placewhen he did 'Country Music Time', the name really rings a bell. I think the years you have are about right, and he may have even finished with the Melody Ranch in 1965.
What's more I think that in the mid 1960's both Jelly Sanders and Jimmy thomason had their own shows in Bakersfield, then there was Dave Stogner's show in Fresno with Norm Hamlet, etc. ...hmm I'm going to look into that one a bit deeper Herb, I really do know the name. I might have to ask Sammy about that one if anyone else doesn't know.

By the way Herb, John Beland of the FBB's is trying to get a copy of your solo Cd so I sent him to your site.

Mitch, thanks for mentioning that LP, I was starting to think that it was a myth!
I would take a guess and say that it was Billy Mize on the LP, but you never know, Buddy Mize swears that he never really performed much, but he did record a little while he was in LA and Bakersfield. Ya never know though.

By the way Sleepy, boxers are great dogs when you get 'the right one'.
My father has had two during my lifetime and the first was the most wonderful dog ever!..the reason I don't have a dog is that I compare them to Dad's ol' boxer, which was a couple of years older than me and put down when I was 14 yrs old. Great personality.
The second was nice, but she was a big baby and died young due to cancerous sores that wouldn't heal, they put her down and she was only ten. Now we're banned from buying them another.

------------------

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 23 April 2000 at 07:25 AM.]

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 6:19 am    

Sleepy, you mentioned Billy Mize, finishing up with the Navy and Hawaii all in one paragraph..sounds like a good time!

Regarding Boxers, I know what you mean, I didn't think you were knocking them as such, in fact your email reminded me of the shortcomings of most Boxers I have met.
The desexed males were a little aggressive while the females tended to be big 'baby's'.
Still a nice breed, but they tend to get a little rough with little dogs. Can be really good with kids, but I guess thats on a case to case basis.

------------------
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 11:13 pm    

I had the pleasure of backing up on occasion Billy Mize and Cliff Crawford at Bonnie Price's Foothill Club in Long Beach, CA years and years ago. I had heard Billy was in poor health. Does anybody know the status of both Billy and Cliff? Best, Boomer
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 12:14 pm    

Hey Boomer,
I talked with Al Bruno a couple of days ago and he told me that Billy had had a stroke and couldn't speak but he was making some progress. I guess he's pretty bad off. I think Cliff's doing OK so far. What a great song writer he was, "Old Rivers, Send me Down to Tucson" just to name a couple. I played a couple of years at the old Foothill too with Billy & Cliff and we had at different times Jerry Cole on guitar and Jimmy Lee Morris on bass, and Dee Ford on guitar or bass. What a big club that place was! I heard that the place is a punk rock club now. That's too bad, ol' Bonnie had that club since the 40's. I'd like to have those old posters she had on the walls.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 2:14 pm    

Jerry - some of my fondest memories were the few times I played at Bonnie's. She was so nice to musicians, which is usually odd for club owners. Usually when the place if jumpin', club owners think its because of their own personality. When its slow, they blame the band. Not Bonnie, she was a princess. What ever happened to her? Best,
Boomer
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 6:44 pm    

Ladies and Gents,I just got finished listening to a most extrodinary CD.Boomer sent me a copy of his "Personal Notes" and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Boomer,you have out done yourself my friend.Great licks and chops to boot and is high energy pickin'.
Buy this CD...it will be money well spent.
After hearing Boomers efforts,I'm not sure I want my CD to escape.Great stuff Boomer.
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2000 3:34 am    

Earl, thanks for the support for my CD "Personal Notes". Gregg Galbreath has told me about the positive progress of your album, and I have learned from past experience that if Gregg says a rooster can pull a freight train, you'd better go hook 'em up . Can't wait to hear it. Best, Boomer
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2000 1:21 pm    

Boomer,
Send me info when this is available.
thanks, Joel
mojo@tiac.net
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 3:28 pm    

Joel, thanks for the interest. At this point the album is new and there is no camera-ready art work available. The few copies I'm sending to acquaintances have no art work.

Hopefully that'll change soon. I'm attending the A.F.I.M. (association for Independent Music) conference in Cleveland, Ohio May 3rd through May 7th, and perhaps I can secure distribution for the album. I'm still a bricks & mortar kind of guy; that is, until the credit problem is addressed and solved vis-a-vis internet sales, it will always be a secondary source of distribution. I do think, however, the future of sales of most products lies in the internet; a few major issues have to be resolved first, but those are growing pains all new industries go through. Until then, I hopefully can rely on the old stand-by form of distribution, as I have had success with that in the past.

When and if that comes together I will respectfully make an announcement to all forumites (I hope with b0b's help and blessing) about the status of "Personal Notes".

I can't tell you how good it makes me feel that the few that have heard the project enjoy it. When I'm in the studio playing a particular instrumental selection, I may think it sounds cool personally, but I always wonder if my peers are going to feel the same way, or are they going to think its dated or corny. I thank all of you again for the support on this new album.

Best, Boomer