| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Scam Alert
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 10:46 am    

I recieved this email this morning. I did not post an ad for a Suzuki on ebay. This is a fake notification supposably from ebay confirming the posting of an auction. I looked up the item number on the real Ebay and it does not exist. If I were to look at the auction and put my user name and password as prompted from this email, I would be giving the scammer my info! I have forwarded this enail th spoof@ebay.com, and the confirmed it is a fake.SO, if you get one of these DO NOT look at the auction itself by submitting your info through the fake email links.
Here is the link to the email I recieved for your edification.
https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam/msg.jsp?msgid=4481&folder=INBOX&x=154386465
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 4:01 pm    

This is a Phishing Scam. EBay and PayPal are the usual targets of Phishing scams. Ebay advises users to type in the URL to eBay or PayPal manually, in their browser's addressbar, and check the URL carefully. They both warn users not to click on links found in emails that demand that you use their link to login to change or update your account info.

Wiz
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 6:05 pm    

Some of these also contain "beacons". A beacon is a small image file, maybe just one pixel, that has a distinct url such as www.blahblahblah.com/images/asdfewqwerdsasdfdsa.gif. When you open the message it requests the gif and lets the spammer know he's got a live one.

So, always open spam in offline mode.

Charlie
Bobby D. Reed

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:32 am    

How about the scammers who email a supposed "2ND CHANCE" on some item you bid on and lost on e-bay? They always seem to have one just like the one you bid on and you may have it at a much lower price. They use the same discription and ebay item # so as to appear real to gain your info or see if you're stupid enough to send them money.
This has happened to me several times and each time I turned it in to ebay officials. BEWARE of any 2ND CHANCE offers, by the way their emails have the ebay logos and look real....Bobby
Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:45 am    

I received 2 second chance emails offering me a steel that I had bid on, I had corresponded with the sellers and neither of the original sellers names related to the 2nd chance offers.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12