| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  baritone ukelelee
John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 6 Dec 1999 4:00 pm    

`Ukuleles use nylon strings. I would imagine any large volume musical instrument dealer would carry them. I know Elderly Instruments in Lansing MI sells them - (517)372-7890 Ext 123. I have used GHS, Martin, and Kamaka strings. Personally, I think Kamaka's black nylons are the best.
A baritone `ukulele is tuned (1-4) E-B-G-D same as the top four strings of a rhythm guitar. The chords are the same minus the notes that would be on the guitar's strings 5 & 6. Some gauges for baritone uke are: E - .028, B - .036, G - .027W, D - .034W. Good luck.

Regards,

John
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 3:33 pm    

Just to butt in.. this is one of the few things I have some experience in; one of my main axes for years has been a modified baritone ukulele. A lot of baritone ukes are really too small to sound good at that pitch, which is the intended one. If yours sounds good, you're lucky. If it has a sort of low, floppy, drony sound, and the wound fourth sticks out and sounds gross, you might try one of the tenor ukulele tunings: d'gbe' or
ad'f#'b'.

The first is the same as baritone, with the fourth ("bass") string an octave higher. You can use the top three strings of a classical guitar set, with another high e' string as the fourth. It will give you a lower tension than guitar. The advantages of this tuning:
same chords as guitar, but with the high fourth string you get the high, close voicings that are characteristic of a ukulele
to many people's ears, and if you work with it you can get some nifty melodic effects.
Jim Beloff uses this tuning. His website is

The other tuning is the one I use. It's like a guitar's top 4 strings capoed at the seventh fret. You can use the top 3 strings of a classic guitar set for the lowest 3 and 30lb test for the top, or you can go the class route and order a gauged set from Pyramid strings, who have a website somewhere. For my 19" string length, the guages are .085mm .074mm .064mm .060mm.
(the highest is nylon, bottom 3 pvf carbon filament. Expensive, but deluxe.) Advantages
of this tuning is a higher and wider picking range, blends nicely with guitars in a stringband setting but doesn't have the bite
of a mandolin.

I have a friend who uses tenor banjo tuning.
Don't get me started on ukuleles, I love mine.

------------------
D-8: C6/A6; E13