| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin - Brent Mason Tape
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2006 7:36 pm    

While digging through my collection of pedal steel stuff, I found a Paul Franklin tape. One of my many goodies that probably came from eBay but who know. I've been collecting stuff like this for nearly 20 years now.

Anyway, tonight I started to listen to it expecting to hear some cool pedal steel stuff. Turns out that it's a guitar tape. Ok fine. The volume was very low on the tape and only one channel (left) would play at all. Now I'm playing this in a $700 tape deck in my studio. I though just to be sure, I'll drive my truck down to the trash and try listen in there. Same result.

When I got back home, I tried the Tascam deck again and now there's nothing. I went back to my truck and still nothing. The tape has erased and I'm positive that my tape deck didn't cause it. I didn't hit any record buttons or anything like that. The tape just died.

I'd like to get it replaced but I couldn't find any contact info for PF.

Any suggestions?

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2006 11:31 pm    

November 21, 2006,
Hi Gary,
Its probably because your tape has wrinkled a little, and you are listening to the back side of the tape now.
I used to have a complete collection of everything. Still has the tapes "Brent Mason Hot Country Guitar Licks Part 3" (about hammering and pull off)
and
Brent Mason Swing and Jazz Licks Part 1 (also about Django Reinhard licks)
Kind regards,
Henning

------------------
! ! ! ! !
pedal steel guitar:
www.henningkmusic.dk click "REJSE I USA 2005" and see text and 140 photos in 3 photo albums from Nashville, St. Louis and Branson in an automatic slide-show)
---
www.steelguitardanmark.dk
---
www.geocities.com/nashville/1520
---
piano & keyboard:
www.sitecenter.dk/henning-kock
[/IMG]

Zum D-10 (owned by the late Hal Rugg 1982 to 1996, then rebuilt with two new changers and new .
pedal rack and pedals, and then owned by Henning Kock from 1996-),
JCH S-10DB (owned by Lloyd Green 1988-2002, and then owned by Henning Kock from April, 2002-)

Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2006 6:49 am    

Gary - Same thing happened to me, found out that I laid the cassette tape (it was from one of my first steel lessons)on top of my steel right next to the pickups. The magnet in the pickups erased the entire tape. From now on I don't sit anything on top of my steel. Lesson learned
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2006 12:48 pm    

I suppose that's a possibility. The tape WAS sitting by my big TV for a while. Still, seems like it would take a BIG magnetic field to erase the whole tape while it's just sitting.

I think the first suggestion might be the real answer though. I'm going to go through the whole tape and look for a fold.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger