| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young tab?
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Sep 1999 7:18 pm    

Hello,

Can anyone share some Rusty Young licks or solos? Does anyone know what guitars he used for each of the Poco albums or any other albums? Any other general information?

In return, maybe I could offer some interesting licks or solos from other players.

Steve

------------------
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 5 Sep 1999 4:12 pm    

Steve, Rusty Young published a book called "The Pedal Steel Handbook" back in 1978 that has a lot of his tab in it.
A good feeling to know
Bad Weather
Hoedown
Pickin up the pieces
Rocky mountain breakdown
Rose of Cimarron
Sagebrush Serenade
You better think twice
I haven't checked this book out in awhile. I think i'll give "Bad Weather" another try.
Good luck in your search,
BobG
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 1999 5:56 pm    

Can you still get that book?

John
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 6 Sep 1999 5:06 am    

I'm not sure if it's still available. I haven't seen it on the shelves in years. A look at the copyright shows it published by Warner Bros. Publications in 1978.
The book store stamp on the back cover is for
Music Books Inc.
169 W. 48 st.
NYC
tel# 212 869 1155
Whether or not they're still in business is anyones guess. I bought the book 20 years ago!!
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 1999 8:00 am    

I can't seem to find it using the normal net search stuff. No one picks up the phone at 212-869-1155.

So... Hey BobG, would you consider selling that book? Let me know, as I would be very interested.

Thanks, -Dave
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 1999 1:56 pm    

Steve, I believe for all of his Poco years, Rusty played a Sho-Bud D-10. In the later years of Poco he experimented with a Leslie speaker, and also used a Melobar on several Poco recordings. His Melobar work was often credited on Poco albums as "steel guitar" as opposed to "pedal steel guitar". For all of Rusty's fine E9 work with Poco, I'm still blown away by his C6 ride on "Everybody's Talkin'" on the Suite Steel album. It's the only C6 work I've heard him play.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 1999 9:16 pm    

I believe he used a ShoBud D-10 for most of the time, but at some point with Poco he was using a ZB Custom too.

Now, if anyone would tab out "Kind Woman" I would thank you up and down a thousand times. That's the tune that got me hooked on steel... and I still can't cop it!

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 09-08-99]

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 9 Sep 1999 3:03 am    

Dave, I think i'll hold on to the book but if you tell me which tab your interested in i'll scan it (as soon as i get my scanner , by the end of the week)and email it to you.
Jim, Thats one of the songs that hooked me also (I think you'll need a Leslie to get those licks though). The solo that completely blew me away was on Pocos' first album. It was the whole second side of the album. About twenty minutes into the cut Rusty breaks into this incredible slide solo, done on the steel, using a little distortion and i think some delay. I've seem him do this song live back in the 70s' and right before that solo he would poor lighter fluid on his steel and set it aflame right before he dove in!!! I miss those days As the cobwebs begin to clear I now remember he actually did that solo on a lap steel, with the legs fully extended so he could play standing up.

[This message was edited by BobG on 09-09-99]

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Sep 1999 3:18 am    

Thanks for all this information. The distributor in New York has moved. Their number is now 973-470-0701. The person there told me that the book went out of print in 1991. I guess that means that inventory also gets destroyed.

Maybe we could get permission from the publisher to reproduce copies for non-commercial distribution. I'm moving and won't have my guitar available for about a month. When I get it back and have a few spare minutes, I'll tab out the solo to "Kind Woman".

I had heard that on the early albums, Rusty used mostly the ZB. That's especially interesting to me because I have a '69 D10 that Jerry Fessenden just rebuilt to perfection. It sounds and looks very, very nice.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 1999 7:53 pm    

Quote:
When I get it back and have a few spare minutes, I'll tab out the solo to "Kind Woman".
Bless you, son, bless you.

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 09-09-99]

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 1999 5:52 am    

I saw Poco right after their 1st album came out in '70 and Rusty was playing a D10, with a Fender/Leslie cabinet & a wah for those wild organ sounds. He is also the one who got me to see the pedal steel as a viable instrument for something besides the Porter Wagoner Show. I'd love to get the tab to some of those tunes as well, if someone finds a source.
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Nov 1999 9:13 am    

I have an extra copy of Rusty Young's book in mint condition that I'll offer up for sale. I also have the email address of another player with a book who would consider selling his.

Steve

sycamore@inr.net
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 8:51 am    

There's also one on eBay right now.

Hey, Steve, I'd still love to see your tab for "Kind Woman" if you're willing to write it out.

Thanks!
jc
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 3:14 pm    

Check out Rusty's solo on "Hurry Up" from the second Poco album. Latin/blues on pedal steel guitar with the Leslie speaker. One of the most original solos I've heard on this instrument.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 12:55 pm    

At the moment all of my records and CD's are
in boxes with 6 other boxes stacked on top of
them. I don't have the space to really find the album, but I should be moving to a
bigger place in 3 or 4 weeks if I'm lucky. But the guitar is out and tuned!

What album was "Kind Woman" on? Their first?
Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 7:00 am    

<>

I think it was on Buffalo Springfield's first album. Maybe it was called "Retrospective" or something like that. It is an awesome solo. One of the first that really attracted me to the steel.
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 11:05 am    

Okay, I've gotten seven email replies to my message about the extra Rusty Young Handbook and probably would get a lot more soon. Could one of you open a new topic for resolving how people can get a copy of the book?

I'd suggest trying to contact the copyright owner and asking for permission to make and distribute a limited amount of copies. I'll hold off selling the extra book until someone gets an answer on this. I'm really too busy to see to the details myself. The book shows Warner Bros. Publications Inc. as the copyright owner in 1978. They might even do the copying themselves for a fee and to make sure of the number of copies that get distributed.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 12:32 pm    

Regarding on what album "Kind Woman" was recorded, it was on the final Buffalo Springfield album, "Last Time Around". It also shows up on a CD best-of called "Retrospective".
By the way, I tried to get the Rusty Young book on Ebay. It went up to just under $44, and I wasn't willing to go above there.
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 12 Nov 1999 9:18 pm    

quote:
Steve, I believe for all of his Poco years, Rusty played a Sho-Bud D-10. In the later years of Poco he experimented with a Leslie speaker, and also used a Melobar on several Poco recordings. His
Melobar work was often credited on Poco albums as "steel guitar" as
opposed to "pedal steel guitar". For all of Rusty's fine E9 work with
Poco, I'm still blown away by his C6 ride on "Everybody's Talkin'" on the Suite Steel album. It's the only C6 work I've heard him play.

I beg to differ...or shall I say- clarify

Rusty Young played a ZB Custom D10 (the sound that drew me to steel guitar ) for
"Pickin up the pieces" album, "POCO", and "DeLIVErin'" albums. ALong with a Mosrite amplified Dobro(tm)

His experimentation and aplication of Leslie effected steel was evident as early as their second album "POCO"(not "in the later years") with "Tonto De Nadie Regressa" the long jam on the album's second side, which was primarily C6th and I am positive the leslie steel on the DeLIVErin' version of "Kind Woman" is also C6th

He switched to Sho~Bud about the time they recorded "Bad Weather" and thenceforth.

He now plays a Carter...

------------------
"Have we not all about us forms of a musical expression which we can take and purify and raise to the level of great art?"
-Ralph Vaughan Williams

"I AM ZUMBODY!"
Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/
ICQ 42635125

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Nov 1999 2:02 pm    

Steve, The book has no ISBN. The exact title is "The Pedal Steel Handbook" By Rusty Young. Warner Bros. Publications Inc. at 76 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10019 is the publisher. The copyright notice says 1978 but other than that, no more information is printed.

Dave, Thanks for that information. I had heard the ZB was promonent in the early years but didn't know exactly which albums. A ZB D10 from built the same time is also what Jerry Garcia played on "Teach Your Children". I think that's another example of excellent tone and sound.

Anyone know what model pedal steel Danny Gatton played on "Rednack Jazz" (the tunes Buddy Emmons didn't play)?
Dayton Osland

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 12:27 pm    

Hello,

Don't forget to check your library system. I just got "The Pedal Steel Handbook" via the interlibrary loan program.

A quick review: The book is 80 pages and is orient toward beginning players. The first chapter describes guitars and other equipment. The second chapter explains tab or "diagram music" as Rusty calls it. This chapter is for a six string lap steel. Chapter three explains standard music notation (which is used a lot in this book). The fourth Chapter gets into Pedal Steel. His pedal and lever arrangement is not what is "standard" today. His P1 & P3 are exchanged compared with most tab we see today. Therefore most of the tabs will need to be redone to be useful on today's instruments (at least for me). The chapter includes chord building and has a nice summary of chords at the end of the chapter. Chapter 5 is arranging for the pedal steel. This discusses harmonizing from a piano lead sheet. Chapter six covers "Steel Tricks". Pedal usage, single note runs, volume pedal usage and use of open strings in harmonizing. He also touches on harmonics and alternate tunings. Chapter 7 is elements of soloing, which dicusses note location and some canned lead-in, lead-outs and how to cover mistakes.

Overall the book is good. Rusty's humor is nice but not overdone.

If you are looking for tab to play now, you will be disapointed. If you are willing to work with what is presented there is some good material.

------------------
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 1999 9:57 am    

I contacted Warner Bros. about the book and this is the response I got back:
I'm sorry, but we do not have any copies of the book you are asking about
available. However, if you do intend to make copies from a book you
already have, you must contact our Copyrights and Permissions Dept. You
can reach Warner Bros. Publications by calling 800-327-7643 if outside
Florida, 800-468-5010 if calling from within the state.

Jennifer Perugini
Sales Dept.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 26 Nov 1999 4:30 am    

Kind Woman from my recolection was on the Deliverin album.
I wore my first copy out and got another at a used record store back in the 80's.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 1999 12:52 pm    

It may have been on Poco's Deliverin' album,too, but the definitive version was the earlier one, by Buffalo Springfield; if you're gonna make the effort to tab it out, please do that one!
thx
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Nov 1999 10:09 pm    

You can copy ANY portion of any book for educational purposes, IF you do not charge or accept a fee...It's the law...
Mike