| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grateful Dead Steel Tab REQ
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 5:39 pm    

I don't believe there is any steel tab for these tunes, but there are some lyric sites you can access from various deadhead sites that have the words with the guitar chords charted out. Follow thru the tunes and find all the chords on the steel both open and AB pedals down ("A" pedal only for the minor in
Dire Wolf). Dire wolf is mainly AB pedal combo's as is most of Jerry's steel playing (Teach You Children - should be steel tab for this here on the forum somewhere) except for the acid steel he did on some stuff (NRPS, ect...). I can't remember the guys name who played on Pride of Cucumunga, the steel playing is a bit more advanced than Jerry's stuff, but is still mostly AB pedals and general E9th playing (the guy was perfectly in tune and recorded a really nice tone, definatly wasn't Bobby! ). Jam along with the tunes a few hundred times and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 6:57 pm    

I play his lead on Teach using both the AB and BC pedals a good bit. You doing something else I should know about Pete?
Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 8:01 pm    

I worked out the Dire Wolf solo, pretty much note for note. I'll try and jot it down for ya before I head south of the border.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2000 5:56 pm    

Steve,
I believe your right, that there is some C pedal action going on in Jerry's playing (the last few notes of the Teach intro for sure, uh, I think... ). I think what I meant to say is that it is primarily an AB pedal passage with a few C pedal licks in there too. I play the steel parts from Sugar Mag, Dire Wolf, Pride of Cucumunga, Teach, and Wheel, with a local deadhead cover group I sit in with occasionally. Steel also sounds great on Eyes of the World. If someone is struggling we could have a phone coversation while sitting at our steels. If I can help just send an email and we'll set it up.
Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 8:22 am    

Hey, Stormy,

I doubt I'll have a chance to tab that out before I leave town - won't be back till the 31st. If Pete Burak points you in the right direction and you don't feel you need the tab anymore... let me know. Otherwise I'll be happy to tab it out. Jerry does use some C pedal licks in Dire Wolf. None of it is very difficult, but it's very tasty stuff.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 6:49 pm    

Quote:
If someone is struggling we could have a phone coversation while sitting at our steels.

Hmm...what a great idea. Let me have a little more rope, then I might e-mail you, Pete, before I hang myself.
Thanks.
Steve
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 7:10 pm    

Steve and Pete:
Maybe you fellas ought to check out the new Yahoo Messanger. Similar to AOL Messanger and ICQ but with voice chat capabilities. Just pick up a headset mic/headphone set and away you go. Best of all, it's FREE!!!
May save you a lot of dimes!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2000 1:13 pm    

I will be posting Dire Wolf in a few pieces to Dick's Lix on my web site in a bout a week or 2. We're going to break down a couple pieces of it. Currently have "Out on the Street" by John David Call up, and panama Red in archive.

They're right-none of Garcia's stuff ever got tabbed, at least not by him. The one guy who would know where it was says it's not around.

John

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 18 January 2000 at 01:15 PM, because he has obviously lost his ability to spell even the word dog correctly.]

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 18 January 2000 at 01:19 PM.]