| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What era or player exemplifies the TC Furlong Sesh 400?
Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 9:01 am    

Hi All,

I've been messing with a Sesh 400 TC Furlong and am trying to learn it and figure out what it's best at. I've always been a tube amp guy, but am realizing there must be a reason a lot of great steel players love the solid state aesthetic.

So far the tone sounds real mid-rangy and kind of boxy for lack or a better word, which is not to knock it, that's just what I'm getting.

I'm wondering what era or aesthetic of steel playing best exemplifies the Sesh 400, that way I could kind of model that to understand it's capabilities. Also, what settings do you like? Let me know your thoughts.

I'm playing it out of PF-350 12 inch with a Jay Ganz Straight Ahead Power Amp.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 1:07 pm    

TC Furlong is the expert on these since it's his baby, so he might be the best to answer your questions.

I'll offer this. As I understand it the Sesh 400 is modeled after Peavey's Session 400 which came out in the mid 70s. These amps are still considered to be some of Peavey's best steel amps.

I owned an LTD at one time which is the same amp in a smaller cabinet. I was pretty green at the time, so I won't try to describe the sound, tone, whatever.

Peavey amps in general were known to have a honky mid range, boxy as you say. Most players found that setting the mid shift frequency around 800 Hz and using the other mid control to cut those mids until the honk was gone.

I don't know the pedal's graduations on the controls as I've not used one of those, but I bet some of the other players here do.

I would suggest playing with those 2 mid controls until you find a setting that is clean and clear without the boxy tone you describe. As a rule, the mid controls are where it's at for Peavey amps and I would expect the Sesh 400 to be the same or at least very similar since the model is th original.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 3:37 pm    

Here's a conversation about the original Session 400 where Brad Sarno explains the mid controls.

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/003822.html
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Tommy Irwin

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2024 9:29 pm     Sesh 400

Hey guys, I had to jump in on this topic as I am a HUGE fan of the Session 400’s and the overall simplicity of getting a good tone and the reliability of those amps is still unsurpassed.
Granted I quit using combo amps over twenty years ago… I’m still haunted by the joy and satisfaction that my 400’s gave me hahahah. For those interested in the tone (raw no effect pedals) I did an Austin City Limits show in 1983 with David Allan Coe playing my SuperPro thru my trusty Peavy Session 400. It can be found on YouTube. Check “Willie Waylon and Me” although there is the whole show if want to hear more. The 400 is next to me in the vid. I’ve been in touch with TC Furlong and I’m about to order the Sesh 400. I look forward to pushing this pedal to its limits hahahah.
At 63 years of age it’s all about how lightweight can I make my gear and still achieve a “tone” I can smile with.