| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many are using the ToneX?
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 7:55 pm    

Popular with guitar players, how about Steelers?

Phone: 971-219-8533
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 4:34 am    

My experience:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/ToneX%20Pedal/ToneX%20Pedal.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 4:58 am    

I use a Tonex one plugged into a usb mixer for headphone practice every day! It’s the first setup I have had that I have been equally happy for steel or bass!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 4:47 am    

I got a ToneX yesterday. I am looking forward to diving in. I've always been a fan of amp sims, and I am embarrassed to say I still use a Digitech RP1000, though my amp plugin game is a bit more solid. Laughing

And Greg, thanks for your ToneX page. Very helpful.

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 8:49 am    

I’ve just started with one week ago. A bit challenging on the learning curve. Manual is not great, so you have to search YouTube.

Currently I’m trying to figure out how to take a cabinet IR and load it into the ToneX software.

https://youtu.be/N7gyMfZYo1o?si=jbF9XXisAq807fY3
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2024 12:37 pm    

I just got one. I’m having a lot of trouble getting a nice clean tone from mine. Perhaps I just haven’t figured out the settings yet. But it does seem to work good. Hopefully I can get some better amps and IRs loaded into it soon.

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2024 1:41 pm    

Avery the input setting is critical to getting a clean tone. If you search YouTube you can find some info on it! If it is too high it won’t sound good. On ToneNET there is a milkman capture and a peavey setting, both sound good with steel.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2024 4:27 pm    

from my review above here is how I got a clean sound:

"Input adjustments, especially the global Input Trim easily allow one to compensate for any high or low output pickup."

Some units are shipped with a high level of gain as the default Input Trim which causes an audible amount of distortion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2024 4:18 am    

Thanks for the tips guys, I am going to dig a little deeper into mine today and see if my input trim is too high. I have humbuckers on both necks so I would say that is probably my issue. Thanks!

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 6:57 am    

Another thing to remember is, if your playing out live, not to the front of the house, don’t use a cabinet IR. Just use your speaker cabinet.

IR’s should only be used when you’re not using your own physical cabinet. IR’s are only for going direct to the PA, direct in the studio or practicing at home with the headphone Jack.
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 7:03 am    

Tone X can't sample amp characteristic...Quad Cortex, capture of my Standel amps..64 Audio molded IEM's...amp less stage. This is a game changer.
Andrew Schmidt

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2024 11:11 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
from my review above here is how I got a clean sound:

"Input adjustments, especially the global Input Trim easily allow one to compensate for any high or low output pickup."

Some units are shipped with a high level of gain as the default Input Trim which causes an audible amount of distortion.

@Greg, where did you end up running your "Trim In" at on global settings? Unfortunately I ended up having to boost mine to +11 @ trim in and +3 at the Output (Output makes sense as I believe my Fender FRFR amp is expecting "Line" level +4, but Trim In seems unusually high) Unfortunately my Hilton volume pedal doesn't have a gain boost. Kind of annoying that I'm hitting it so hard but I guess that's what trim controls are for anyways. I haven't gotten out the test tones and Oscilliscope ....yet Mr. Green

I haven't heard distortion yet but I haven't taken it to the stage. This is one of those situations where because we constantly ride a volume pot as pedal steel players, we're outliers. Guitar players probably dont have this problem. Crying or Very sad

All of that said, the TONEX sounds awesome! Clean and Clear so far. I am not retiring my Evans just yet as it has a great sound but I'm excited to be dipping my toes into modeling.
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2024 10:59 am    

Here I am testing some more on the ToneX pedal (Modeler). Real excited about this thing. Of course, when you play a live gig everything sounds different then in you practice room. But my live gigs went well with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRHGFPpUfE