| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  PEAVEY LTD 400 Please Close
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 5:07 pm    

Please Close

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 16 Sep 2024 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2024 8:22 pm    

anybody??anyone at all??
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 6:34 am    

The 1974 and maybe early 75 Sessions had the smooth chrome knobs. I may be wrong, but I think the smaller cabinet 400 LTD came out after that (76?) and had the newer knobs? Chalker played through two of them when they were introduced. I have his LP with a photo of them. I'll have to check it out. The LTD is a hard find. I see them occasionally on here. The full cabinet 400 sold more in the 70's. The gold standard in steel amps. Everybody was blowing the F series JBL's when the amps came out. I went through two of them in a short time. Then, Peavey used the K series around 1976 and all went well a little longer, but eventually blew. Then, the BW 1501 came and all was well. I still have the lifetime warranty card and the cancelled check ( April 29, 1974 $332.1Cool on my 1974 Session 400. They weren't in stock locally at the time and I had to order it. Peavey covered all of my speaker replacements. Boy, am I old!
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 8:23 am    

This is what I'm looking for; I have enough K-130's I prefer; and I don't play C6 anymore as the low end is what blew up speakers..ha.

It was labeled LTD 400 on the front and Series 400S on the rear of the chassis. There was more than one cosmetic look of this amp, at least 2 different styles of knobs, but the cabinet was always the same size like the Nashville 400. If it has the word Limited printed on it anywhere, it's not the original LTD amp and those round chrome knobs is what I want.
Yes they are hard to find; because they are that good. I have a 1966 Fender Twins' that I play and record through for the last 28 years...I don't NEED an amp; But I only am trying to find this particular LTD 400 for size and mobility; as it's the only "solid state" amp I've played though and like; and I've played through EVERYthing known to mankind in the last 35 years.

Ricky
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 10:15 am    

Ok, gottcha. I was thinking of the round smooth faced knobs like my 74 has.
Yes, you couldn't make it through Hold It with D or F series. Shocked K's held up a while longer. The early 400's with transistors, had a warmth to them. When Peavey went to chips, it was lost. The TC Electronic BQ 250 or BQ 500 with Mosfet circuitry gets a good tube warmth and compression. However, I have to use an Artec Parametric EQ pedal to dial in the proper shift/mid depending on the speaker used. Can't beat the portability and tone in a small package. My old lumbar likes it.
I met up with you one time at Gabes, downtown Iowa City. The stage and music was upstairs. You likely had to tote your gear up the rear fire escape to the rear of the stage. The City finally deemed it not safe and they had to rebuild and enclose it. Does it ring a bell? Laughing
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 11:17 am    

Quote:
Does it ring a bell?

Yes kinda reminds Dennis of that gig; but I toted my heavy-a$$ Pro II in Anvil case all over the world; as me and Dale were strong buffs back the; but now I'm 62 years old with traumatic Brain injury; I most the time have no idea what I'm doing half the time; let alone how come everything is SO HEAVY NOW!!ha....LOL.
Ricky
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 11:21 am    

Dennis, I've never seen plain smooth round knobs like you describe on the first early Session/LTD 400. Is it possible yours were replaced?

All I've ever seen are the ones in Ricky's photo. Chrome with a plain black insert. Even the early Artist 240 amps had the same knobs as those. Also the manual info on the Peavey site shows those knobs ala Ricky's.

Later versions had the black plastic knobs with pointer details in various shapes with blue and white inserts. Just curious.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 12:12 pm    

Jerry, that's why I think the 400LTD came out after Peavey switched to a new knob design. All of Peavey amps came with the smooth knobs prior to 1975. I have a 1974 Session 400. Smooth knobs and original. I bought the amp new in 74. My steel mentor had an early 70s Festival 800 with the smooth knobs. Also, the Peavey logo on all of their amps until 1975 was positioned in the upper left corner of the grill and at an angle. The lead player that I worked with in the early 80s had a 76 Session 400 with chrome knob and inserts and logo at the top center of the grill cloth.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 12:15 pm    

Ricky, I had a ShoBud Crossover when I was in the Army in West Berlin. I had no problem hoisting it onto my shoulder and walking two blocks with it to a club. No more, I'm 75. Oh Well
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 12:36 pm    

I defer to Dennis. Sorry for the sidetrack Ricky. Good luck rounding up one of those amps. Back to your regular programming. Embarassed
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 1:55 pm    

I dug this out so you could take a look at it. I don't know what year it is, but I bought it used in '83 or '84 I think, and has a Black Widow speaker.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 2:51 pm    

Quote:
but I bought it used in '83 or '84 I think, and has a Black Widow speaker.

Garry; I don't need the speaker and you can make probably more than the amp is worth with just that Black Widow. I'll buy JUST the amp for 200.00 plus shipping and you keep the speaker??? Easy enough???
Ricky
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 5:14 pm    

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2024 10:04 pm    

Ricky, you're welcomed to it! I wish there was an easy way to get it to you. I'm not savvy on shipping amps...nothing is easy Laughing Razz
Any ideas???
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 5:45 am    

Quote:
Ricky, you're welcomed to it! I wish there was an easy way to get it to you. I'm not savvy on shipping amps...nothing is easy Laughing Razz
Any ideas???

Well I'm a Fedex Member and so I always do my own boxing; then invoice online; then take those to Fedex shipping and hand them that stuff. So My idea would be; YOU box it after you take the speaker out, it will be MUCH lighter; but leave speaker chord in back of amp. Then get you big roll of small bubble wrap and shipping box tape at Walmart. Then wrap the bubble wrap around the amp couple times so it's totally padded by it and tape that secure. Then measure estimate length/width/height and go to Uhal that has boxes for sale and get one as close to that as possible and then put big bubble amp in there and extra newspaper or bubble padding to secure it from moving in box then tape up box and take to Fedex Shipping and they do all measuring and invoicing and ship it to me:

Ricky Davis Bledsoe
6249 W State Hwy 29
Bertram, TX 78605

512-694-3139
sshawaiian2362@gmail.com

If it's too tricky and you don't want to take/keep Speaker, I understand. If you are still into doing all that; email or call me when you're done packing and ship Fedex and tell me the Money I owe ya and Shipping Tracking number they give you; and your address and I'll Mail you a Money Order.

Thanks my Brother and that amp WILL LIVE ON.
Ricky
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 8:35 am    

Not to butt in but as a bit of a side note since some of the history of the early LTD's is being put out here, and there is a lot of confusion about the amps -

I bet Garry's nice amp here is one of the first with the flat magnet Spider Web BW speaker. Or of course it could have been a replacement.

I say that because in early 1979 I played some with a fine steel picker, Deon Lane Tyson, who had ah LTD with the Peavey / JBL K speaker which he had purchased only a few months earlier at Quigley's in Kansas City. It may have been at the store for a while.

Very very good amplifiers. Congratulations Ricky, I would like to hear you play through it.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 10:15 am    

Any idea how much $ to ship the amp to Texas? Are you sure it's really worth to you? I'm not real found of taking the amp apart, but I haven't used it in years. Don't know what I'd do with the speaker. I did take it out once to clean out the foam in the magnet gap that had deteriorated. Also, had the electrolytic caps replaced with new ones on the preamp board some years ago with a refresher kit from fellow Forum member Ken Fox.
I should plug it in to make sure it still works before I do anything else.
Then off to U-Haul to find a box if you're still interested.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 1:18 pm    

Quote:
Any idea how much $ to ship the amp to Texas?

Well I don't know where you live/ship from; but I went on my Fedex account and pretended like I was sending a 24"x10"x24" box that weighs 60 lbs; from the Guitar center in Riverside to my address I provided; Fedex Ground; Insured for 200 bux...came to:
$80.00 bux....
Yes don't take apart. See if it works and it's fine bro; I'll take it off your hands...I have a Band member that is genius amp wizard..if needs going through..no worries.
Just go for that packing instructions I gave ya and take it to Fedex...and Gerry whatever it costs for you to do this to get it to me; you email your address to me and I will send you money order for what ever amount you come up with my Brother...I'm good for it; I'm one of the original Moderators of this Forum...everyone knows me and we may of met back when I toured with Dale Watson all those years late 90's...???(sorry If my injured brain doesn't remember) But; Thanks for all your efforts.
Ricky
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 1:29 pm    

Quote:
Congratulations Ricky, I would like to hear you play through it.

Thanks Doug; and I will youtube something and post if for you to hear. This Amp means the world to me; as the reason I took up Steel guitar is because I rode my motorcycle at 15 years old; "new license", to Luckenbach in 1977 to hear my favorite new singer "JOE ELY" and Lloyd Maines was playing pedal steel guitar and I was just floored and wanted to make those sounds; so I took up the pedal steel and eventually I was playing a gig with Gary P, Nunn in 1988 at Kerrville Folk Festival and the staff player was Lloyd Maines so here's my first time to meet him and I had goose bumps in Shaking his Hand; then he pointed at his Amp and said: "Ricky you are welcome to play though my Amp" and guess what It was?? YES; a Peavey LTD 400 with those big round chrome knobs, and it sounded GREAT, but it was the first meeting of Long time Friend and partner in Music till now>
So Dream come true to play again through that Amp.
Ricky
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2024 10:27 pm    

Ricky, I went to Fed Ex.com and from Garden Grove, CA to Bertram, TX it's $151.35 for a 60# shipment with a 24" x 12" x 24" box. I don't know how much the speaker weighs but at if removed and at 30# it would cost $101.05.
Is that too much?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2024 1:54 pm    

Found one from Garry>
THANK YOU!!
Please Close
Ricky