| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper PowerHead - Speaker Options
Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 12:28 am    

I have recently acquired a Kemper PowerHead (600W) and currently have two stand alone passive speakers which are the PF350 and TT12
(IR's exist for both on the Eminence website)

I want to ONLY use the power amp and a speaker in many small venues (NO house PA)

I have a number of profiles suitable of steel (kindly supplied by fellow forumites) and they use various speakers, some being the PF350

I believe I have FIVE options :

1. Switch off the cabinet profile allowing the Cab Driver algorithm to split the combined profile (sounds risky) and then use my PF350 speaker

2. Use the PF350 but replace the cabinet profile with the Eminence IR (How do I do that ?)

3. Leave the cabinet profile ON but ALSO use the PF350. This should be incorrect as it is tone shaping twice , but in practice it sounds pretty good !

4. Buy ONE Kemper Neo Kone (4 ohm 200W) and set the profiler power amp to Kone and together they effectivly produce an FRFR output, which should allow any profile with any cabinet to be accurately reproduced. This should be the same as putting a standalone FRFR powered speaker on the main outputs.

5. Same as #4 above but buy TWO Kone speakers and wire in series for 8 ohms which should give 400W capability.

Has anyone tried the Neo Kone speakers compared to our steel speakers ?

What might be the best option to proceed ?

Thanks Alan..
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 4:17 am    

Perhaps you should investigate a FRFR speaker. This is a Full Range Flat Response Speaker. There are many to chose from and these type of speakers show off the capabilities of the Kemper to the max.

I have a Fractal Axe III and use the Fender model which works great. It is a powered system and would not work for you. But I believe there are passive models available.

Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AZE III, Fender FRFR 12
Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 7:21 am    

Hi Mark, I am under the assumption that no speaker on its own can give a flat FRFR response as it has to be driven by a matching dsp amplifier which boosts the necessary frequencies to flatten out the frequency response.

Kemper seems to have chosen their Kone speaker and have designed their amplifier to match the speaker characteristics.

Or I could do what you have done and buy a complete powered speaker, but in my case it sort of defeats the purpose of my integrated amplifier.

I will get a look at the Fender speakers

Do you find the FRFR powered speaker is better than any steel speakers you have tried ? I have seen a few people people suggesting they preferred non FRFR steel speakers !

Thanks Alan..
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 6:07 am     FRFR Speakers

Hi Alan,

I believe that earlier passive speaker setups did give a flat response. I once had a pair of Altec 604 E's that were amazing. Used for studio monitoring not playing out. With the advent of DSP the powered cabinets really come very close to achieving flat response.

I have a Fender FRFR 12 which I used last night at a gig and it sounded great with the Fractal Axe that I have. Hearing what you hear in a studio or good headphones certainly helps one to play better.

I am not sure that the Fender would be an ideal match for you because of the built in power amp that you have in your Kemper. If you can find a passive FRFR speaker cabinet that would certainly help.

As far as FRFR vs regular speakers I wouldn't say better. It is what you want to hear IMHO. I have spent so many years listening to steel in recording environments that I feel that we miss hearing all the overtones that the steel can reproduce that is beyond the response of a normal speaker. Also in this world of going direct to a recording board or PA board that an FRFR setup gets you closer to hearing what is going through the mains from your position on the stage.

Kind regards,

Mark T.

Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AZE III, Fender FRFR 12
Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 2:38 am    

Hi Mark,

I think I will buy the Kemper Kone as it is low cost with free delivery, and I will put it in an old cabinet I have and see how the PowerHead drives it in FRFR mode.

I will probably also get the Kemper DI box to allow me to do direct profiles including my power amp but not my cabinet.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Alan...
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 8:26 am    

I'll be curious how that Kone works out....
Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2024 4:25 pm    

Hi Danny,

Well I got the Kone driver and put it into an old cabinet which is approximately the same dimensions as the Kemper cabinet. About a third of the back was open

I have been using a PF350 for years and have always liked it.

I immediately noticed a sizzle with the Kone which is presumably the higher frequencies or maybe the wizer cone, and really wanted to cut the highs to minimize the sizzle.

You are able to select 19 imprints for the Kone which certainly gives a pleasant enough tone but not better than the PF350

My problem with the Kone is that the imprints are only for the Monitor output and do NOT apply to the main outputs, so if you are using a Kone with imprints as a monitor behind you then the main outputs the audience is hearing will be very different.

I have since downloaded impulse responses from Eminence for the PF350 (cost about 15 USD) and can replace any profile cabinet with it and use my PF350 as my monitor but now the main output also gets identical tone as my monitor if the PA is FRFR which is normal. On testing my PF350 monitor and PA output really sound very close.

I also have the TT12 speaker and Eminence provide the impulse response for it as well.

At the very least a good IR from Eminence recorded under studio conditions and with about six quality microphones to choose from is always going to be better than a miked monitor poorly positioned on a noisy stage and suffering crosstalk from other instruments.

I still need to fully close in the back of the Kone to see what difference that will make, and it does in theory provide an accurate tone to test any profiles.