| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  this guy is my new hero
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 10:13 am    

A North Carolina man used artificial intelligence to create hundreds of thousands of fake songs by fake bands, then put them on streaming services where they were enjoyed by an audience of fake listeners, prosecutors said.

Penny by penny, he collected a very real $10 million, they said when they charged him with fraud.

The man, Michael Smith, 52, was accused in a federal indictment unsealed on Wednesday of stealing royalty payments from digital streaming platforms for seven years. Mr. Smith, a flesh-and-blood musician, produced A.I.-generated music and played it billions of times using bots he had programmed, according to the indictment.

The supposed artists had names like “Callous Post,” “Calorie Screams” and “Calvinistic Dust” and produced tunes like “Zygotic Washstands,” “Zymotechnical” and “Zygophyllum” that were top performers on Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify, according to the charges.

"The Bands and the Fans Were Fake. The $10 Million Was Real.
Federal prosecutors charged a North Carolina musician with gaming the system to win royalties from streaming services including Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon Music." NYTimes 9/5/24
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:15 pm    

What an evil genius! AI music is one thing, but programming bots to generate millions of plays and collecting millions of dollars from it. Wow.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2024 12:56 pm    

Hmm. It's possible that Bill and Doug don't really exist. Maybe I'm the only real person on the entire Forum....

Cue up the music and Rod Serling's voice....

Whoa!
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 8:49 am    

When it comes down to it, it's all abot the music.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2024 3:24 am    

...And people playing with each other.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2024 5:07 am    

Seems he won the game and the industry (read: Spotify) is absolutely mad about it.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2024 6:45 am    

It would have previously been unimaginable that real musicians could be interested in the topic. Lee may be right, and it would be the same situation for all of us.

It's so hard not to applaud such chutzpa, yet so wrong.