| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  custom case brainstorming
Bruce Kaphan

Fremont, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 4:08 pm    

From reading other posts, I know I'm not the only person who is looking for a lighter weight way to cart my pedal steel around, including flying. Currently I have a beautiful ATA case made by The Texas Case company. I love everything about it except two things: lifting it, and paying the extra baggage fee when I fly because the steel and case together weigh well over 50lbs (close to 70lbs)! I've been wracking my brain for a long time trying to figure out the best solution to reduce the case weight without creating too much additional risk to the protection offered. For years I've watched drummers carrying their stands around in "fiber" cases (such as those made by the Philly Case Company), and if a fiber case can stand up to that abuse, I'm thinking a pedal steel, if shrouded in enough of the right kind of foam, cut just right, should also work out. I just searched for a company that offers a huge selection of foams (foamonline.com), and they do custom cutting: at their website they show an intricate insect design cut out of foam! They also offer inexpensive samples of the various foams they sell, so I'll be able to get a piece in hand to make sure I want to go ahead and buy a custom-cut piece of it.

Sorry for the long intro... Here's my question: Does anyone have any suggestions for how best to design a custom foam insert that will hug my Zum D-10 Hybrid? I LOVE this instrument and want to make sure I do right by it... I know there are some crafty steelers out there: maybe someone has a CAD design already drawn up? If not, I'm just wondering how best to design a foam insert that will do the best job of supporting the instrument in places that aren't as sensitive as the changers, tuners, and strings. Any ideas would be most welcome! Thanks for reading!
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 9:42 pm    

There was a quite extensive thread about making light fiber cases just a couiple of weeks ago, shouldn't be difficult to find. If I remember correctly, the consensus was that building one is a pain in the rear quarters, rather expensive and not ideal for such a heavy instrument...
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 5:36 am    

Here is the thread. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=401362

Here is a video on cutting foam for a gun case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=asDGYETUGKc I found another video where a guy uses spray foam to make a case for his gun. I played around with this idea, but it is very messy.

I am building my third case set. This time I am using 3/16 luan plywood with 3/4 pink foam laminated to the sides and top and for the bottom I am going to use bed topper foam (11.99 from Walmart). I may wedge a bit of soft foam on the sides around the changer. I will update my thread when I get time. This case will be only slightly heavier and much more durable. The problem with fiber is the good stuff "Vulcanized fiber", is incredibly expensive. It would be best to build a pattern out of cheap floorboard fiber so you can make sure it works. I am unsure how well my floorboard fiber case will hold up, but this guitar isn't going around the world. This is all very time consuming, about halfway through I kept thinking "what have I gotten myself into??!!"

This project is only worth it to me because I build guitars and I am stubborn. The Brand X cases seem like an excellent investment for most people.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2024 7:24 pm    

If you find the right size case you can make a nice tight-fitting liner out of rigid foam covered with soft fabric, similar to a regular guitar case, including rails to hold the guitar up and off the bottom to isolate the changer and keyhead. Have a look here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3081943#3081943, a D-10 would take up the whole case so you would of course need a separate case for legs and pedal rack. One hitch might be the overall depth, the case in the linked thread fits snug with an S10 Emmons, your Zum might be a bit too tall for this particular case, but there may be other similar options. Some folks use the thinner walled SKB V-series trap case for flying, they're less rigid and substantial but are taller inside. There are some pics of one of those in that same thread too.

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2024 9:46 am    

Steve Hinson's Brand X cases are the best lightweight road cases. I don't know if he has time to make them any more.

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2024 8:52 am    

I'm a fan of 1/4" Luan top and bottom capping pine front, back and sides. Make a closed box, then cut it in half. I made one that turned out 1/2 the weight of my proper commercial road case. I could have made it lighter by routing voids in the pine I suppose. I have plans. If you are interested, PM me.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2024 8:30 pm    

Hers a light weight case that Steve Hinson makes

They are foam lined an are super light!

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2024 1:08 pm    

That looks just like my Brand X cases!!

Last edited by D Schubert on 29 Aug 2024 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 6:18 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:
I'm a fan of 1/4" Luan top and bottom capping pine front, back and sides. Make a closed box, then cut it in half. I made one that turned out 1/2 the weight of my proper commercial road case. I could have made it lighter by routing voids in the pine I suppose. I have plans. If you are interested, PM me.

This is how I am building my next one. I think 1/2 thick pine or aspen would would be sufficient. Box joint or dovetail the corners.
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2024 6:25 am    

I have flown my SKH Emmons Legrande a few times. It is a PITA, but here is how I do it.

I got a SKB drum hardware case and added foam to support the ends of the chassis. This is my normal gig case. A normal Lashley Legrande will not fit- it is an inch or so longer.

Steel in case is 67lb. For flying, the case carries only the steel itself, and the pedal bar, with the pedals removed (!). This comes in exactly at 50lb.

I use a large 2nd Samsonite fiberglass case to hold the legs, the pedals, volume pedal, cables, etc. Oh yeah, and my clothes. This usually comes in at 50lb as well.

Oh, how I crave a D10 lightweight Excel!

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2024 2:20 pm    

Bruce I've been using this case for years to fly my Zum Hybrids - never had an issue with damage to the guitar at any stage and I have flown them a lot !! from NZ to USA, Ireland, Australia, Norfolk Island etc ...

I had to line out the case with foam myself but thats not a difficult assignment, and has stood the test of time... the case comes with three internal straps to help secure the guitar.... and it has WHEELS !!! ... the only other thing I did was replace the carbon/poly axles holding the two handles on ... to a stainless steel bolt with Loc nuts.
I put the body only in the case (Zum Hybrid D10 9 and 9) ... Weighs in at around 21kg/48lbs....the pedal bar, legs and rods go in another bag with my clothes etc !!

https://www.skbcases.com/products/v-series-3611-case
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.