| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9: Walter Haynes intro
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2011 8:11 am    

Steel intro to "We Could" by Little Jimmy Dickens (1955).

From Walter's SGHOF plaque:

TOURING WITH JIMMY DICKENS, WEBB PIERCE AND FERLIN HUSKY, HE WOULD ALSO RECORD SCORES OF RECORD SIDES WITH THE FOREMOST ARTISTS OF HIS DAY. AFTER 13 YEARS AS AN OPRY STAFF PLAYER, HE BECAME A MAJOR RECORD LABEL EXECUTIVE, PRODUCING OVER 300 ALBUMS AND COMPOSING OVER 25 SONGS DURING

HIS 55 YEAR MUSICAL CAREER. FROM BACKING PATSY CLINE’S “CRAZY”, TO PRODUCING 1974’S SONG OF THE YEAR, “COUNTRY BUMPKIN”, HE IS TRULY A STEEL GUITAR PIONEER.

BORN: DECEMBER 14, 1928 KINGSPORT, TENNESSEE
INDUCTED: 2003

Walter Haynes passed away on Jan. 1, 2009.

CLICK HERE for the audio.

I can imagine a skinny 18 year-old kid from Mishawaka, Indiana just eating this up.

Felice Bryant composed “We Could,” which she had written as a birthday gift to her husband Boudleaux. Besides Jimmy Dickens, artists who have recorded “We Could” are Jim Reeves, George Jones & Tammy Wynette, Kitty Wells, George Morgan, the Louvin Brothers, Charley Pride, Al Martino and John Prine.

One more thing: I always thought that the ballad "Farewell Party" had originated with Gene Watson. Come to find out Tater did it as a shuffle!

Last edited by Frank Freniere on 13 Sep 2024 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2024 2:22 pm    

Farewell Party first recorded by Lawton Williams (writer) in 1960 as shuffle and then 1961 Jimmy Dickens, shuffle, by Johnny Bush on Stop records, first album I believe, then Mr. Watson some years later.

I won't swear to this but I think it is pretty close. Williams did it as a shuffle. About 1960, I was 19 then but remember hearing it on the station in Cameron Texas.