| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pierce PSG
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 5:56 am    

I've just taken delivery of my latest PSG acquisition, an eight-string, branded 'Pierce Winchester Ind' (Indianapolis?)
It's held it's tuning all the way from the USA to Ireland, the top eight of E9.
I haven't set it up yet, I'm assuming the three pedals will be the Emmons copedent, I also suspect the fourth pedal and extra rods are just spares as there are no signs of previous fitting/removal
It'll be clean-up and re-string etc over the next few days, in the meantime I'd be interested in hearing about any alternative tunings for eight-string PSGs, plus the associated copedents.
Also any back-story regarding the Pierce history?
Thanks in advance!
PS: Update, I'm having problems uploading pics, I've discovered by bunching the three pedals up that there's space on the pedal assembly for the fourth pedal. I'll keep trying to add pics
Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 7:42 pm    

Hi Tony, there's a thread about these guitars a few posts close to this one right here. It sheds some light on these steels. You can indeed install 4 pedal on it. It seems that a few of these have made it across the ocean over there.
Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2024 12:35 am    

Thanks Gil, I've just seen that thread, I'll check it out today. In the meantime I'll keep trying to upload my pics. There's evidence that an earlier undercarriage mechanism was fitted for the fourth pedal.
If I added it, ideally I'd prefer to use it to lower a string/strings...not sure if that could be done?
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 1:25 pm    

Tony - I have had great fun trying to sort mine out. It was a wreck and very cheap and there was lots to do. The legs were very loose and one of them could not even be screwed in but with some work they are as stable as they will ever be. Everything else had a good clean and polish.
I don't know who made the pickup but accuracy was not in the game. All the pole pieces were off centre so when strung up I had to put the strings on one side of the changer. The coil inside the pickup was on its side but was not wide enough to span all strings - therefore strings 1 and 8 were weak.
I decided to tune to C6 as that is what I have been playing over the past few years - non pedal of course. The three pedals that came with it I decided to follow pedals 5,6 and 7 of regular pedal C6. After playing around for a bit I decided that instead of having the high E raise and the lower E lower I would make both E's raise. What a difference that made. A great sound chord wise and I could hear some Sneaky Pete creeping in. The only problem I came across was using two feet to operate 5 and 7 at the same time - so - I changed the pedals round so from left to right it is pedal 5,7 and 6. Now all the combinations can be made on one foot. I've also spoken to a local pickup guru and he is making a new pickup.
I'm having fun playing this combination and the Sneaky Petes are coming out a treat.

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 1:38 pm    

Thanks for the reply Mick. I'm in the middle of pedal changing at the moment. Mine turned out to be Day instead of Emmons, so I've been having fun sorting out the undercarriage. I've also added the fourth pedal ready for connecting to ???
I was going to tune top 8 of E9 but reading your reply has got me thinking about C6, which I was dabbling with on my reso.
I'll Google the C6 copedent and have think!
Cheers for now.