| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What’s your favorite rack mount effects unit?
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2024 2:38 pm    

I’m thinking of getting away from an effects pedal and going rack mount. It doesn’t have to be overly complicated, just reverb and delay, and should be easy to configure. What’s your favorite?
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2024 3:16 pm    

I have used the Lexicon MX300 for a fair while now, quite easy to configure and fairly intuitive - wonderful effects of course !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Gordy Rex

Southport, NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2024 3:18 pm    

DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Modeling, this unit works very good for me. It doesn’t appear to change my tone, and the delay tracking is fast.
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2024 4:32 pm    

I have always liked the Alesis Midiverb II. They're kind of old and basic, but the basic aspect is what I like about them. Simple, straight-forward, and gets the job done.

Whatever you get, I highly recommend that you make it a processor with a mix ratio control on the front, in addition to basic volume ins and outs. You want to be able to get it to what you want without a lot of fussing around, scrolling through menus and whatnot — kind of like an amp, where you twist a couple of knobs to get where you want to go. Another processor I could use for that is a TC Electronic M350.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2024 4:15 pm    

The Roland GP-100 has been in and out of my rig for decades. Originally they were $1200 and were discontinued in 1994. Now they show up for around $200 or less. Hard to beat the reverbs, delays & chorus. The other several hundred effects I don’t care for but YMMV.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2024 5:16 pm    

+1 for the GP100. I've used one for several years. I also have Boss/Roland rack units SE70 and SX700. Nice sounds in all of these, but they require the user to tweak or program them for steel guitar as most of the presets are for guitar.

If I were looking to replace those, I'd probably look for one of the Peavey "Fex" units that has the steel presets and/or the ram card with the steel presets. Must have the batteryless mod too.

These things were a godsend for steel players who didn't know how or just didn't want to spend time building programs for steel. Bound to find several presets in there that work for steel. Just scroll through them to find sumpn' you like.

You don't want one that doesn't have the steel presets or hasn't had the battery mod done.

These are all 90s vintage, but I haven't found anything in the current units that sound or work any better.

MOF, you probably already know about these or perhaps even had one back then, but that would be my recommendation for rack effects for steel guitar.
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2024 5:41 pm    

+2 on the GP-100. But it’s mass overkill for effects only. Kinda like swatting a mosquito with a sledge hammer.

For rack effects only I was very happy with TC Electronic M300 & later M350. Same unit just a new set of tires & fancy rims on the M350. Laughing
Very inexpensive, lightweight, only 4 inches deep in the rack. Each effect has its own separate set of knobs for tweaking and I much prefer knobs over push button scrolling or having to cycle through the programs to make adjustments.

Dave 🙂
Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 4:45 pm    

+3 Roland GP100 👍🏼
Excellent for Pedal Steel, a lotta options with that Preamp/Processor.

And the TC Electronic M300 for Reverbs & Delay’s is a great choice, very easy to operate.

JH
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2024 12:54 pm    

T. C. Electronics M-One XL for Reverb and Delay.

I use mine in conjunction with Gerry Walker's Stereo Steel.
I have each of Gerry Walker's User Pre-Sets saved in the M-One, as well as other Pre-Sets I've created on my own.

The M-One allows you to modify each User Pre-Sets 'on the fly' to suit differing sound environments, but won't store those modifications unless you intentionally want to create a new User Pre-Set number.
Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2024 2:06 pm     Best rack effects

Lexicon MPX1, best reverb and especially w/programable steel effects.