| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zane Beck Interview
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 1:24 am    

Recorded on the road from Zane Beck's Scranton home to Fort Smith Regional Airport on Thursday 15 September, 1977. The recording is unfortunately marred by the ambient road noise but is possibly significant in outlining Zane's career to that date. Zane & his wife Faye put me up at their home and I went home to Australia with Zane's personal guitar which enabled me to get into his tuning which I play to this day.

There are extensive notes in the YouTube description as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvhs4w4DWw
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 12:53 pm    

Another great interview with a pioneer/legend - that must have been a heckuva trip to the US, Graham!

Cool when Zane says he’s the guy at Sho-Bud that switched the chromatic strings from 9-10 to 1-2 on Buddy’s guitar.
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 4:22 pm    

Hi Frank. The Zane Beck interview happened in 1977 when I was on one of my annual leaves from the domestic airline TAA for whom I worked. 6 weeks was what we got back then which was a lot more generous than the US leave entitlements which I believe was on average 2 weeks.

I travelled with a tape recorder rather than a camera.
Same trip got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHeCTfuf6wo
& I recorded most of the '77 St Louis Show apart from Buddy Emmons famous "Live in St Louis" segment.

Julian's interview was part of a 6 month stint in the USA from October 1, 1978 to April 1, 1979 after I quit my job. Three months in Little Rock & then Atlanta, Savannah, up to Boston (in the '67 Buick Electra I bought from a blind drummer - it was his means of getting to gigs driven by others). Flew then to San Francisco and then back to Sydney. The exchange rate was favourable for the Australian dollar back then and I was just able to survive pursuing the steel guitar "dream".
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 8:31 pm    

Thank you for your posts Graham. Really enjoy hearing these folks!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 9:08 pm    

Hi Marty,

So glad you enjoyed the interviews. I also have some other audio that I will post in the coming months. My YouTube channel subscriptions went up a bit since I posted these Smile

Graham
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2024 5:00 am    

Graham, that's a wonderful interview with some important historic information. I never met Zane or Julian. This gives me a far greater respect and knowledge of the pedal steel evolution. Looking forward to your additional posts. Thank you for sharing.
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2024 6:35 pm    

Hi Larry,
My YouTube channel (@hoola100) has quite a few videos of both American & Australian steel guitarists that I’ve had the good fortune to see & hear. I’ve also included playlists for both steel guitar & pedal steel guitar.