| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone make a pedal steel like the old Fenders?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 6:32 am    

What I mean is, does anyone build a steel that is easily changeable to way the old cable Fenders were?

I am toying with the idea of getting a pedal steel but one that will be used with C6 and have my own changes on it. Is there a remote possibility of this?

I’ve owned quite a few pedal steels, but the one I really enjoyed and wish I still owned was the Fender 800, a single 10-string that I found very easy to set up. Will I have to resort to buying an old instrument like that again?

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 7:09 am     maybe, possibly

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 8:43 am    

Gene Parsons has played a Fender 800 since Leo gave him one back in the late '60's. He plays a D9 copedent with 8 pedals and 4 knees. They are great sounding guitars and I would not think it would be a problem to set up as you wish.
Bowman SD10 push pull 3x5, Modified Hudson PedalBro, Sarno Tonic preamp, Evans SE200 with Altec 418B, Standel Custom 15, '67 Showman with D-130F in cabinet, Ganz Straight Ahead, custom Wolfe 6 string dobro, '52 Gibson Century 6.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 10:04 am    

I've owned a Fender 800 in the past and made many adjustments to it, and liked it very much. But I was just wondering if there is anything comparable on the market today.

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 1:46 am    

Mike, I seriously doubt there are any pedal guitars built today that can change the copedent as quickly as the old Fender cable jobs. I am sure that most modern all pull guitars can be readily adjusted with a bit of familiarization.. Pretty easy stuff really. having owned 3 different 800's over the years, I do understand your reasoning. The tuning/copedent can be completely revamped, in just minutes with no tools once you know how they work.. I doubt anyone anywhere makes anything like that these days, but I'll defer to smarter guys than me. I always felt the later[2 up 2 down w/roller nut]Fender pull system was a very good, well engineered setup that would still be 100% viable with some upgrades. Such as nonsoldered pull cables, stainless steel roller drums with bearings and just a few machining upgrades.Perhaps a somewhat smaller, lighter body.. Fender made good pedal steels, but they seemed more interested in selling large quantities of electric guitars and amps, and not dealing with a niche market product.. I wish they had just modernized a really good design and stuck with it a while longer.. There are still a lot of them in use today 60+ years later, so they were certainly well built... In your case, I would seek out another 800,play it, enjoy it,make great music with it, and this time DON'T let it go!.. I did the same thing-loved them, and sold them, and now regret it. They aren't that easy to find anymore, especially really clean ones.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 4:30 am     Re: Does anyone make a pedal steel like the old Fenders?

Mike Neer wrote:
does anyone build a steel that is easily changeable to way the old cable Fenders were?
Will I have to resort to buying an old instrument like that again?

Kline steels are just as easy to change as Fenders. They are "old instruments" but not as old as Fenders, and they work better.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 7:35 am     Re: Does anyone make a pedal steel like the old Fenders?

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:
does anyone build a steel that is easily changeable to way the old cable Fenders were?
Will I have to resort to buying an old instrument like that again?

Kline steels are just as easy to change as Fenders. They are "old instruments" but not as old as Fenders, and they work better.

Never a truer word spoken. Kline was my favorite guitar.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Rick McNamara

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 12:35 pm     Anyone make steels like the old Fenders

Hey Mike,

I have a Fender 800 that is in all most new condition. It has 6 pedals mounted but only 5 are cabled. I have been storing it for quite awhile! If you’re interested send me a PM and we will go from there!

Regards,
Rick McNamara
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 12:48 pm    

There ya go Mike!..

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 2:01 pm    

I think what Mike is asking is whether there are any new cable-operated steels being built today.
I would like to know that, too.
I've had two Fender cable models over the years but had to sell them during lean times.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2024 8:14 am    

If a builder would take the basic Fender design and use lighter more precision components, I bet they would sell a lot of them.. Won't happen....