| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breaking Jagwire strings
Martin Monahan

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2024 11:29 am    

I have broken 5 Jagwire strings in 3 days .I can't even get them up to pitch and if I do ,as soon as i press the B Pedal they break at the tuner. They are 11.5 Jagwire strings. Any help or comments would be much appreciated. I have a G2 and I changed strings and then this started. Im new at pedal steel and don't know what to think !
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2024 1:17 pm    

Scroll topics from the last few days to see two similar issues.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 9:50 am    

Also Mullen has some instructions on how to install a 3rd string. Not sure where I saw them. Maybe on their site. If you can’t find them, call Mike, he’ll help.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 10:08 am    

Yep, good advice.

To elaborate on the best possibilities already mentioned, it's probably one of two things:

A batch of bad strings. This can happen with any brand. It's a manufacturing error and you chalk it up to bad luck and buy some more.

The other option is that there's a burr or rough hole-edge on the tuner. This can cut the string at the tuner's post, especially a thin 3rd string as you're describing. Best practices is to always cut a 3rd string about twice as long as you would the larger-gauge strings so as to get at least 6 or 7 wraps around the tuner's post (or however many wraps it takes to get that string completely off of the edge of the hole). This is surprisingly effective in ending breakage, at least at the tuner end of things.
Robert Simms

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 10:22 am    

I used to have the same issue with mine. I now use a .12 on the third string and it helps. I also don't tune it all the way up to G# right away and hit the pedal. I tune up to about F or F# and as I change the other strings I increase increase the tension little by little as I
go and press the B pedal a lot to stretch it out a little.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2024 2:57 pm    

I always hate to do it but I have used a little round burr or stone in a Dremmel and smoothed up the hole it the tuner. (Reminds me too much of the the dentist).
Greg Tudor

Cincinnati, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2024 8:01 am    

Danny Letz wrote:
Also Mullen has some instructions on how to install a 3rd string. Not sure where I saw them. Maybe on their site. If you can’t find them, call Mike, he’ll help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkdbQOwvi8w

A fantastic resource!
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2024 10:57 am    

Greg Tudor wrote:
Danny Letz wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkdbQOwvi8w

A fantastic resource!

Watched the video. That’s a lot of wraps around the tuning post. I don’t think it does anything to prevent string breakage.

I was taught to cut the string about 2.5”-3” past the tuning key post. That amounts to 3 or 4 wraps for plains and 2-3 for wounds, and keeps the string straight from finger to post. Also easier to undo when changing. I don’t see the advantage of having any more wraps, but maybe someone can enlighten me.
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2024 8:38 pm    

A few years back I had 5 or 6 Jagwire 11.5s break in a row. Near the wrap at the ball end. Bad batch fluke. I think it happens.
Jay Coover

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2024 9:56 pm    

I have more limited experience with this than others, because I'm kind of new, but I have experienced it.

My best guess:
1. Usually not a burr or weird sharp edge problem. Possible, but I think this would usually not be the case.
2. Bad batch of strings. Possible, but I think less likely than....
3. Give the string some time to stretch. If you're at a gig, you're SOL, but I think this would alleviate the issue in many cases. Like what was mentioned. Tune it up to F or F#, give it a couple F lever raises. Come back in 10 minutes, tune up a half step, do the same, until you get to G#.

This *seems* to have worked for me in the past, but who knows...between bad string and time to stretch?

May all your bends be pleasant bends.