| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Older beginners
Dennis Belt

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 7:52 am    

I’m a new member here, but I’ve long been a PS fan. I am thinking about taking the plunge and getting a PS. I’m a decent simi-pro guitarist, so I have some understanding of music and theory. I’m interested in hearing from other older guys (I’m late ‘60’s) who have taken up the steel later in life.
What’s your experience been?
Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 8:42 am    

Hi Dennis, I started in on steel at 62 yrs, playing regular guitars for 50. I thought, if has frets,how hard could this be? Well,wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. 4 years in and I'm humbled every time I sit behind one. But, I'm having a ball learning something new everyday. There's plenty of learning material available. It has sharpened my mind and reflexes beyond anything I could have imagined. I am playing a few songs out with my Gospel group, and at Church now. If you love that sound,like I have all my life, just dive right in! You'll get a ton of useful information here on the Forum. Your guitar background will help you, musically. Go for it!
Mark Peters

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 12:52 pm    

I took it up in my early 50's, after playing Telecaster forever. I told the fellow who was giving me lessons (some guy named b0b) that I had saved it for my old age. He said "That was a mistake." I asked why and he said "You won't live long enough to be any good."

And while I haven't proven him wrong in twelve years, I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

As b0b also told me, "You have to understand that you're going to suck for a while."

Go for it.

Mark
Dennis Belt

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 1:58 pm    

Gil and Mark, thanks for your replies. You’re excellent enablers! I think if I don’t do it, it be sorry later.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 4:47 pm    

Dennis, go for it! For an instrument, check out North County Steels; I'll bet you already know the shop. Get a solid modern steel.

Also, you are still young: seriously! I've been playing for a long time and recently turned 80; I am still learning and am with a group of younger guys that have really pushed me (nicely) to learn my axe more. There is a world in this instrument for any level of player.

Chris
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 9:15 pm    

Seems like most people who take up steel guitar these days are not youngsters. It takes lots of time, energy, money, concentration...easier to pull it all together when your life is a little more settled and you're not scrambling to stay alive.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 5:10 am    

Dennis, I too took up steel at age 62, I'm 75 now. I had no previous music experience except for 2 or 3 folk guitar courses at Continuing Ed about 40 years ago. I'm too old for fame and the big money, and my wife would take a dim view of all the groupies, so I'm playing for fun and my own enjoyment.

The best advice I can offer is go at your own pace - we all learn at different rates and one student may take 3 times as long to reach a given level than another one. YouTube is your friend, you can learn a lot from that. BUT the best teacher is playing live - whether a couple friends in the basement, an open jam, whatever. Your mileage may vary, in my case I needed (and still do need) both.

One other point - the learning never stops. Ask any high-grade player and they will probably tell you THEY are still learning things even after all this time.

Get out and play whether you think you're ready or not. and remember the most important thing is "have fun". Keep us posted on your progress.

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 6:08 am    

Although I've played lap steel and dobro for decades, I didn't make the plunge into Pedals until I was 68. I'm 70 now. I did a brief video on my concerns picking up steel so late: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F601J515oGc&list=PLSgi4DURZZZj4mBwwkQTWTL6R7FIbq2fT&index=3

Topics I covered were the physical issues, the mechanical issues, the ergonomic issues. Things to consider from a physical standpoint: height of the steel, arrangement of the pedals and levers, height of the pedals, ability to reach all the pedals if playing an 8 pedal steel.

Unfortunately, unless you live in specific areas of the country, it is impossible to sit behind a lot of steels and determine what you like. So initially, just finding a steel that fits your body can be a challenge. For me it meant buying and selling a lot of pedal steels to see what works for me.

I initially had my E's lowered on the left. Then I moved it to the right when I was studying Paul Franklin's method. But I found it interfered with the volume pedal, so I moved it back to the left. Initially I had Emmons set up on the pedals, but now I have Day setup which I prefer because it is easier on my bad ankles to squeeze from left to right rather than right to left.

And I explored E9, C6, ext E9 and Cth, D13, single 10, double 10, single 12, double 12. I tried them all. The problem I had with a D10 was having to switch physical positions when moving from E9th to C6th.

Today I play a D13 8x6 and finally feel I have found the steel for me. Ergonomically, the most comfortable steel I've played and all the pedals are in reach without shifting. And for the kind of music I want to play, many more options than on just E9 or C6 (or even E9/B6 universal).

But at 70, I wake up every day excited. Every morning I sit behind the steel and just play and practice. By the time I look up, it is bedtime and I go to bed thinking about the steel. Physically and mentally the best thing you can do for yourself as a senior is to pick up this instrument.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:21 am    

Bill wrote:

I go to bed thinking about the steel. Physically and mentally the best thing you can do for yourself as a senior is to pick up this instrument.

I walk every night as the air cools down . . . and I think about the steel too, Bill! It's good to mentally practice this way, reviewing what the pedals and levers do and sometimes coming up with a new combination.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:34 am    

Welcome aboard Dennis! I was in my mid 30s when I started learning pedal steel. I say now, I wish I had started earlier. I was a divorced salesman in the retail industry so my free time was devoted to learning the pedal steel since I had no "honey do's" and could do things when I wanted.

I guess we all wish we had started earlier, but if you start now, you won't be regret not starting when you're in your 70s.

To me, playing the pedal steel is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had along with the fellowship with other steel guitar players. Special community.
Dennis Belt

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:59 am    

Gentlemen, thanks for your detailed, thoughtful replies. You have pretty much convinced me that I need to jump in.
Chris, thanks for the tip about North County Steels; I didn’t know about them; being able to try out a steel before buying would be a huge help.
Bill, your thoughts, especially on ergonomics were very helpful, things I hadn’t considered.
I need to sell a couple of standard guitars to get the scratch together, and run this by my personal gear purchase supervisor (wife); so it will be a little while till I get started. I’ll definitely keep you updated. I can tell this is a great place. Thanks
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 10:17 am    

They say that when Pablo Casals was in his 90's someone asked him why he was still practicing.
He replied, "I think I'm making progress."
I don't think there is anything better for the aging mind and body than to continue to pursue music and learning.
I'll be 77 on Monday. I've been playing some sort of musical instrument since 3rd grade, and guitar since I was 21. In my late 60's I changed over to lap steel, largely because arthritis had made me unable to form chords on the neck well.
I wished I'd started out with a steel.
I made a pass at pedal in my early 70s but went back to the lap steel, C6 tuning.
I'm going back to pursuing pedal steel as soon as my new one arrives. Having failed once, I have a clearer picture of how I want to proceed.
Music is the best medicine. Go with it.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 10:21 am    

Casals is very quotable. He said

"Playing the cello is easy. The only hard part is getting from one note to the next."

A bit like steel guitar...
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:51 pm    

You may want to set up your guitar/amp. combination, So you can play music, backing tapes through head phones. Helps to keep honey from turning into the War Department.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin on your steel guitar journey.