| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2 Single Coil Issues Solved
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 10:02 am    

On my guitar, I have a Bill Lawrence 710 humbucker on my C6 neck, and a Bill Lawrence XR-16 Humbucker on my E9 neck with a switch wired up to switch it from humbucker to single coil.

Issue #1: In single coil mode, the pickup hums and buzzes in some venues, forcing me to use the pickup in humbucker mode. I prefer single coil on E9. I bought an Azor noise gate pedal. Problem solved (at least here at home but assume it will also work live).

Issue #2: The volume level in single coil mode is significantly lower than the C6 humbucker, so when using the E9 in single coil and get the volume set, the C6 neck is louder (sometimes too loud). So, I got a clean boost pedal to increase the level when on E9. I would turn it off when playing C6. Well... I was getting ready to sell a Source Audio Programmable 7 band EQ pedal, and was reading the manual. When saving an EQ setup to one of the 4 preset locations, you can also save the output level. So I made a preset with the output set to the same level as my C6 neck. So, when playing E9, I switch the pedal on and get a louder signal. There are 3 more preset locations for other EQ settings I may program later.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 6:31 pm    

Source Audio is a cool pedal. Glad you worked out the problems