| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pagliere Steel Guitars
Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 5:39 am    

Has anyone seen this? A new take that might change everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0pQ0qg4ME

Non mechanical with no changer. Pitches are shifted with software onboard. Needs 12 volts to power up.
Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 5:48 am    

Here is the builder/Player explaining His approach. This pitch shifting allows any amount of raise or lower.

New tech that is amazing way to end all mechanical limitations and maintenance and repairs. As long as the software system is reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmaXsEFzZY
Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 5:58 am    

Here is His website, very unique design ideas from any point of view. Most all of the Players I know will not embrace Modeling pedals, amps or guitars. I hope He succeeds in building these for the future Players to explore and expand the sound of pitch shifted pedal steel guitars.

https://paglieresteelguitars.com/
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 10:47 am    

Very interesting. Possibilities galore. I would hope players would endorse this idea as another tool in the steel guitar world.

Has anyone seen or heard any recent updates to this project?
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 8:39 pm    

He posted a page on his site about the Beta prototypes he's building on his website. I don't see a link to that page on the homepage, but here it is:

https://paglieresteelguitars.com/the-beta-prototype

He has intentionally kept his plans semi-secret to avoid being distracted by endless emails as well as debate on the merits. With the May update he also removed the passphrase previously required to access the website, so I assume he is going more public with his endeavors.

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 5:18 am    

I am curious how much the actual tone of the strings vs the sounds coming out of the amp would effect playing. As long as the amp was loud enough I suppose it would drown out the actual notes being played. May not be an issue. Very curious about price. Like it or not this could be a very good thing for the instrument.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 1:16 pm    

Maybe I missed it, but, what tuning do you tune the open strings to?
Do you start with open E9th or C6th or A6th using the tuning keys on the headstock?
It certainly is a novel idea. Possibly a sure thing for the future.
However, I wonder if, we, older guys can adjust to it without much of an ordeal.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 3:03 pm    

I am one of those who does not care for modeling amps, pedals, etc. I suppose I am admittedly somewhat of a traditionalist, but that's not the reason. The devices with which I have had the opportunity to experiment are used to replicate various tonal qualities. Those gizmos just never seem to quite perform their intended functions accurately to my ears. They just don't "do it for me." This however, is different. This takes the instrument used to produce the sounds that attracted us to the steel guitar in the first place, and addresses design limitations that have frustrated many players since its inception. This is fascinating!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 5:13 pm    

absolutely fantastic … next thing will be to add bank with different sounds, anything from old Bigsby to new MSA …

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 5:00 am    

I run a stereo rig with a Helix floor unit and would love to have the ultra broad tuning range this would provide.

A root third fifth repeat all the way across the neck for giant pads would be fun. I hope these make it to production.
Or how about running through a SY300 for some huge string sounds.
memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 8:14 am    

Amazing if for no other reason to experiment with tunings and changes. Also great for that one move you'd like to put on your guitar that you rarely use and don't have the room for.

Curious as to cost. In the long run could be considerably less expensive considering the material and machining that it doesn't have.
James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 8:57 am    

A cool idea, that sounds like he has perfected. But, i think of midi guitars, electric drums, saxellos...the pros tend to miss elements that they deem important with the analog or tangible original instrument. I suspect theres a market for it. I know ive tried guitar pedals for pitch shifting to deal with detuning. Eb tuning and such, not a single one works reliably.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 9:10 am    

Fantastic ! This guy could become a millionaire very soon.
Sam Werbalowsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 9:48 am    

Looks similar, but more traditional, than the electrosteel, which also has tuning banks.

The electrosteel does not have a pedal rods connecting the pedals, nor full length strings. Very excited to see what comes out of these projects.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2024 10:19 am    

Sam Werbalowsky wrote:
Looks similar, but more traditional, than the electrosteel, which also has tuning banks.

The electrosteel does not have a pedal rods connecting the pedals, nor full length strings. Very excited to see what comes out of these projects.

Sam, What is the Electrosteel. I've just made a search on Google and all I've found are industrial steel companies and such ! Thanks.
Sam Werbalowsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2024 4:38 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:
Sam Werbalowsky wrote:

Sam, What is the Electrosteel. I've just made a search on Google and all I've found are industrial steel companies and such ! Thanks.

Here's another thread from a few months ago.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=399258&sid=447a3fb83a00a8c014798898208ef727
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2024 8:06 pm    

Jim Cooley wrote:
I am one of those who does not care for modeling amps, pedals, etc. I suppose I am admittedly somewhat of a traditionalist, but that's not the reason. The devices with which I have had the opportunity to experiment are used to replicate various tonal qualities. Those gizmos just never seem to quite perform their intended functions accurately to my ears. They just don't "do it for me." This however, is different. This takes the instrument used to produce the sounds that attracted us to the steel guitar in the first place, and addresses design limitations that have frustrated many players since its inception. This is fascinating!

Jim,
with technology today with impulse response and the ability to do IR’s of speakers, cabs, and amp “captures” the replication of the tonal characteristics of amps and speaker cabinets are literally being cloned and the end result is astounding. A very very far cry from the stuff like the Digitech RP 50 and old Line 6 pods. Despite the tone cloning they still have been unable to come close to replicating the “feel/response” and reaction , to pick aggression, the quirky kinda sag you get playing a well warmed up, pushed hard, cranked up all tube amp that makes a good one feel soooo good playing.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 7:11 am    

Prime example of over complicating something that's not broke. Next, someone will invent a device where you don't have to move the bar. It's taking the human aspect out of the instrument. You don't need computers.
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 7:18 am    

"you don't need computers" except when commenting on the lack of need for computers.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 7:30 am    

Quote:
"you don't need computers" except when commenting on the lack of need for computers.

Somewhere, someone is still making buggy whips.

I've been following the progress on this for awhile. I think it is incredibly cool. To be able to just dial in your tuning, with no cabinet drop, tuning issues a non issue, and the ability to experiment with multiple tunings instantly? Fantastic idea. Probably not an idea I will live to see the fruits of, but come on...how cool is that.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2024 9:59 am    

There is a very interesting discussion about this subject started by Greg Cutshaw here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=395933&highlight=pagliere
W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, DFW till May 2025
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2024 5:38 pm    

In a world where there have been virtually no major improvements to the pedal steel guitar since Sho-Bud in 1957, it's really refreshing that someone out there is thinking 'outside' the box.
No, this is not for everyone the same way I refuse to own a foreign car but others wouldn't have anything but.
Until I saw this, the steel guitar community had become complacent with the same old same old and dealt with it.
"The times they are a changin" Bob Dylan
I applaud this guy.
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Ty England & more
wcedgar.com
Alan Pagliere

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2024 7:52 am    

I haven't been on the Forum to talk about the OnePSG (mostly out of fear that responding to individual comments would become a time sink Wink ). Heaven knows I have enough other time sinks in my life! Also, I haven't really had to since I try to keep up the website (the YouTube channel is less well kept-up).

The website answers pretty much all the questions and comments (positive and negative) that folks have posted on the Forum and the YT channel. (The FAQs page even responds to the comment in a separate Forum post wondering about whether I was still alive since I hadn't posted any updates to anyone outside the "inner circle" in a long time. You know, time sinks.)

In any case, as you know, the project's gone public now and I try to add to the FAQs page when a question seems to keep coming around whether or not it's already been answered elsewhere. So, keep checking the site for info.

Today, for no particular reason, I figured I'd poke my head in to say thanks to everybody who has shown interest in this project, which for me started out of curiosity and morphed into a ... mission.

Thanks is really all I have to say at the moment. Also, feel free to contact me via the contact page on the website.

Thanks!
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2024 10:43 am    

The issues and drawbacks that kept me from the pedal steel guitar for so long are all addressed with these innovations, except for price, which is unknown for this instrument. I like that it is played using traditional technique, and that the software is not internet or Bluetooth dependent. I might be a little concerned about road-worthiness. Howbout maybe a drop-in display unit that could be cased up separately from the console?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2024 12:03 pm    

I am in the market for this and all in! It produces all the major sounds of a mechanical guitar such as partial pedal presses and improves it many other areas. I have a few pedals that I re-tune for different songs especially on the 2nd string lower and the 1st string raise.

Compact, light, versatile and maybe soon, keyless. Switch to C6 and have your immediate choice of a D or G note on top. Even further switch to D13 or one of the non-pedal tunings.

Perhaps (and I know this is not real popular anymore) with the separate pickups and digitization of each string, interfacing to midi for something like a piano sound but making the copedant more useful for the chosen midi instrument.

Maybe in the future automatic recording and tabbing of a song or riff with more exact note durations and timing than we have today. Or maybe adjust the harmonic content, tone and sustain of a setup to mimic a particular mechanical guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger