| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Someday by Alan Jackson (Paul Franklin lick)
Luke Yanders

Canton, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 4:29 pm    

Looking to see if anyone knows how Paul Franklin does the lick (which I hear him do a decent amount in other songs) in "Someday" by Alan Jackson in each chorus right after he sings "and she said it's too late" at 1:48 mark in the below link. Been bugging me for a while. Can anyone help?

https://youtu.be/8QAa59bMDqQ?si=G6igp7hmBEpWuwTx
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 7:35 am    

Hey Luke, I'm not at my guitar but this is what I'm hearing: 10th fret, A & B pedals down & lower the 2nd string a whole tone. Play strings 2 & 6 then slide down to the 9th fret releasing the 2nd string lower as you go. Then, as those 2 strings continue to sustain, slide to the 8th fret. Then, lower the 2nd string a whole tone. This section is done without restriking the strings, just hitting them once at the beginning then using sustain. Then, at the 8th fret, play strings 5 & 6 with the B pedal only. Finally, as those strings sustain, release the B pedal to bring it to the C chord(most of the lick is played over the G chord).
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 8:45 am    

I am often wrong about how great players play what they play but I am often satisfied with my own results (but ALWAYS glad to be corrected and to learn).
This is what I do with this phrase. I may sustain through the whole thing or I may re-pick at some point inside it for accent/phrasing.

Luke Yanders

Canton, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 2:19 pm    

Thank you both for your replies! These are right on point! Another version of this lick is played on "Lost In A World Without Merle Haggard." Below YouTube link at 3:03. I would venture to say the lick using the 2nd string lower is ideal for this one. I believe he raises his 2nd string up a half step when his bar reaches the 3rd fret (2 frets below the closed D chord position. If your 6th string lower is on the same lever as your 2nd string raise, this will not work. I believe Paul does not have the 6th string lower on his setup. Let me know what you think. Such a great ride on this one.

https://youtu.be/3vTvWEnPBqo?si=GmITtT3MUSQO7Maw