| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Surprising results with plastic fingerpicks.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 9:55 am    

I had never tried plastic picks and ordered THESE.

I had read that the attack was softer which makes sense. What I didn't expect is that they are significantly louder than any metal picks I have tried and have a more direct fat tone. I'm using these on a resonator guitar and haven't tried them on electric yet but this is a revelation to me. It's an instant improvement at barely any cost.

I've read how they are uncomfortable and, indeed, even the largest size is waaaay too tight for my medium-sized fingers. After sticking boiling them in water and shaping them, they were better but still uncomfortable. Now, I simply put them around the "handle" of my stevens-style bar so keep them stretched when I'm not playing. Now, I can play for long periods of time without any discomfort.

Anyone else using these?

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 6:57 pm     Re: Surprising results with plastic fingerpicks.

James Mayer wrote:
Anyone else using these?

Absolutely! I have used them for decades on my resos, and sometimes on my Weiss. But never on electrics.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=400081&highlight=plastic+fingerpicks
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 9:16 pm    

Same here, although my picks are from Dunlop. They are great for acoustic and give a lot more dynamic control. And yes leaving them on the bar during down-time helps retain their shape and comfort.

However not so nice on electric. My electrics are all 8 string and the spacing is too tight for the bulkier plastic picks. But I bet someone out there will say different so definitely try for yourself!

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 4:51 am    

Hot water helps to resize them so I thought "if I put them in the microwave for a few seconds..."
They burst into flames, stunk up the house and filled the kitchen with black smoke! Old nitro-cellulose is very flammable.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 5:39 am    

For a different type of plastic ... some sort of nylon, I think ... for which boiling water temperature of 212° was not doing it, I was instructed to use a heat gun. With lots of caution (don't direct it in one spot for too long and, um, don't hold the pick in your fingers) it did get hot enough to reshape.