| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spider bridge guitars
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 8:14 am    

I am really new to these and only been playing mine a short while, but I wanted to give a quick review. I have played standard guitar for about 35 years in about every tuning, way, shape or form. I am definitely an acoustic guy for the last 25 years or so. Starting steel guitar a few years ago I knew I wanted an acoustic 8 string of some kind, so the options were immediately limiting.

I really wanted a guitar capable of the many different expressions and subtleties my different acoustics were capable of. I was hesitant about spider bridge guitars because I associate them with the nasally bluegrass sound I really don't love. I have discovered a number of players who use these guitars in the traditional setup, tunings etc. and tap into whole new dimensions of sounds, but I really haven't fallen in love with the typical 6 string tunings. After discovering the Hudson Pedal Resonators and the Franklin Pedobro I decided this is the way to go. So I built my own (ignore those pedals). https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=399158 The rarity and expense of these guitars has been a big factor in my quest to design and build. After playing this for a short while I can say I am very glad I did! I am a convert. This style guitar has an incredible range that goes way beyond the typical "Dobro" sound and adding strings (and pedals) for me was the answer.
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 9:01 am    

Tim,

I've got to say your pedal "bro-steel" is super cool. I love how you got an idea, then committed to it and made it happen. Your woodworking and machining looks top notch. And it sounds like you built the thing to satisfy a musical vison that couldn't otherwise find expression. Again, very cool.

G. Meixner
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 2:24 pm    

Gary Meixner wrote:
Tim,

I've got to say your pedal "bro-steel" is super cool. I love how you got an idea, then committed to it and made it happen. Your woodworking and machining looks top notch. And it sounds like you built the thing to satisfy a musical vison that couldn't otherwise find expression. Again, very cool.

G. Meixner

I appreciate the comments. I am happy with how it turned out for the most part. I tried to simplify the construction as much as possible because it is a lot of work and I really just want to play. I have been tweaking a few things and it is getting easier to play. Once I get all the mechanics down I may worry more about the smaller details, nicer woods, fancier binding, Beard cone etc. Honestly though I am pretty happy with the tone even using pretty cheap off the shelf materials.
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 10:44 am    

Mind ---> blown!

I really want to hear what your contraptions sound like!
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 4:17 am    

Joseph Lazo wrote:
Mind ---> blown!

I really want to hear what your contraptions sound like!

I plan on doing some videos to show how it works. I had to make some adjustments to get the long lowering pedals to have a shorter travel. Now all the pedals have a similar feel and I can actually start practicing. Most people will just see this as a pile of parts till they hear it, which is understandable. In some ways I find it much easier than non-pedal playing because I always have full voicings instead of having to get creative with slants, pulls or partial chords. Also very few or no "avoid notes" if I find the right pedal combos. Basically I am cheating. I haven't had any problems with the tuning stability as a few people have warned me about. I want to get a bit better before I show it in action. Might take a bit....