| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning nut supply
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 3:32 am    

Due to a lot of people contacting us about tuning nuts and where to find them. We have come up with a bit of a solution. We used to have each tuning nut under that specific guitars category. Depending on what that guitar normally took or was fitted with for tuning nuts.

Now we have a dedicated page for tuning nuts and Pedal rod ID clips.
you Can access our complete inventory on those pages. Also please take note that most nuts can easily be modified to accept a larger pull rod. This can be done at time of purchase for no charge. If you do not see what you need please feel free to contact myself via PM or email... (to keep this thread uncluttered)... and I'll try to help you out
Thanks
Wayne
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 7:08 pm    

I see you do not list 6-40 5/8" plastic nuts.

Some MSA Classics I have worked on have 6-40 threaded Aluminum rods in them.
I worked on a couple MSA Classis, That someone had made rods with 6-32 threads out of steel welding rod. I bought 1/8" stainless welding rod and 6-40 adjustable die, Made new rods to rerod 1 of the MSAs, So 1 size tuning nut fit all rods.

Edited to add 5/8" to plastic nut size.
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 2:23 am     steel guitar parts

Bobby those nuts are listed right here.
https://www.outwestcountry.ca/product/-5-1-8-rod-5-8-long-tuning-nut/246?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=71
And if someone requests us at time of purchase to install a specific thread we are fully equipped to do that at no extra charge.
threads available 4-40, 5-40, 6-40, or even 6-32,
thanks
wayne
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 2:01 pm     steel guitar parts

up
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 6:09 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:

Some MSA Classics I have worked on have 6-40 threaded Aluminum rods in them.

I worked on a couple MSA Classis, That someone had made rods with 6-32 threads out of steel welding rod. I bought 1/8" stainless welding rod and 6-40 adjustable die, Made new rods to rerod 1 of the MSAs, So 1 size tuning nut fit all rods.

Aluminum is a poor choice for pullrods because it expands and contracts about three times as much (and as fast) as any steel. That will lead to tuning issues on E9th if the guitar is exposed to changes in temperature, but I suppose it might be okay if the guitar never left your house.

Since the MSA Classics all used .125 stainless steel, threaded 5-40, you could use a 6-32 die on the .125 rod and thread them with that. The thread would be loose, but if you used unthreaded nylon nuts, it would form it's own thread when you put it on the rod. Tuning feel would be a little quicker, but otherwise okay. At one time, I didn't have a 5-40 die, so I used a 6-32 thread and it worked. okay.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 8:05 pm    

1 of the MSA Classic I worked on was some 6-40 threaded aluminum pull rods. I still have a few of them laying around I replaced them all with 1/8 Stainless rods.

One MSA had 1/8" Stainless steel rods When I got it, Had 2 1/8' Bronze Brazing rods threaded 6-32 for 1 pedal. 2 steel welding rods had 5-40 threads on another, Had to drill some small hole tuners to fit the 5-40's. Those 4 rods got changed to Stainless steel with 6-40 so one nut fit every rod.