| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Price's steel player *before* Don Helms (circa 1950)
Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 7:57 am    

Anyone know who played on Ray Price's records "Jealous Lies" and "Your Wedding Corsage" from 1950"? I believe this may have been Ray's first record. The steel has some Hawaiian flavour and a fat tone. It's pretty killer. Does not sound like Jerry Byrd, definitely does not sound like Don Helms, who played on a lot of Ray's early records after this point.

The Praguefrank site does not list the session personnel (right near the top of the page):
http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/search/label/Price%20Ray

Jealous Lies (sounds like B11 tuning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1Avme18Eg&ab_channel=OkeSheMokeShePop

Your Wedding Corsage (sounds like a 6th tuning, I think maybe A6):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N853FEwTM7c&ab_channel=jeriw

For reference, Ray Price featuring Don Helms on steel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1yx0hrGFUM&ab_channel=RayPrice-Topic
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 9:34 pm    

Sorry I can't give you an answer, but thanks for posting those. "Jealous Lies", in particular is a GREAT cut, vocal and the steel. I would agree they sound like the same player and session.

I wonder if they used Helms on "Wrong Side of Town" because they were going for almost a total Hank imitation? Unfortunately, a fact of life for young artists who haven't had a hit of their own yet, back in the day.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 11:47 pm    

You're correct that these tracks are from Ray's first recording session. If I recall correctly, the steel player on Ray's first session was Eddie Martin. Eddie was an excellent player, and very underappreciated.

And I agree, Mr. Fogarty. I've always felt the same, that 'Wrong Side Of Town' and a various other Ray Price tracks from that same period were somewhat shameless Hank homages, with the fiddles, Don Helms on steel and Ray doing voice cracks and other Hank-isms that we know aren't Ray's natural vocal style. Ray certainly wasn't the only C&W singer to try to cut songs that sounded like Hank, it was really just the thing to do in those days if you wanted to have a hit country single. After all, if you want to succeed as an up-and-comer, you imitate the best.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 6:02 am    

"Jealous Lies" featured Eddie Martin on steel guitar per this earlier discussion. Mainly linking to this discussion because of the cool steel that Mr. Martin is playing.
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 6:58 am    

Thanks for introducing me to the stunner "jealous lies". I had to listen to it twice. I never would have guessed its Ray Price singing. I Never heard of Eddie Martin either. A new steel hero for me.๐Ÿ‘
Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 10:09 am    

Here is a 4 year old thread (updated recently) about Eddie Martin with some good info.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359761&sid=50e062f72e7a0aa9074c0086dc479d2f

Be sure to watch both of Chris Clem's links. Both are Merle Travis "soundies" with many players from his usual coterie. In the first Martin is playing a lap steel (while standing with it hanging on a strap), and he displays excellent slant technique. In the second clip he is playing a console that he built, which may have been the world's largest console steel.
Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 7:22 pm    

Thanks for the assistance! I am glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this is good stuff. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am now an Eddie Martin fan. Rich, I can't imagine how Eddie moved that beast to gigs. Wow!

As for the Hank Williams connection, in addition to what has been said in this thread already, I believe that Ray essentially took over Hank's band for a time, after Williams' death.