| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  repairs and setups...
Tom Wroblewski

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 9:36 am    

looking for someone in western NY to go through my sho bud LDG that I bought used...I live south of Buffalo but willing to travel a bit to have someone set my PSG up properly...I was hoping to find a listing for repairs and set ups by state or even cities,..it would be helpful when you dont have a lot of resources available in your immediate area..
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 10:54 am    

Before someone comes along and mentions me, we're talking about Texas-style driving distances here -- 5 1/2 hours or so.
Wish I could throw some names at you but I've got nothing.
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 4:05 pm    

I can help you out here in Kent, OH.

https://steelguitarsohio.com

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 8:42 pm    

Tom,

The LDG is a pretty simple guitar to setup. I got an LDG recently and I took it all apart, cleaned the changer, changed a couple knee lever functions to suit my setup, etc... its all back together and it plays great. If you don't find somebody to help you, I think if you ask specific questions here, you'll get answers. Good luck with it and enjoy. The LGD is a great guitar.

RC
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 8:22 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Tom,

The LDG is a pretty simple guitar to setup. I got an LDG recently and I took it all apart, cleaned the changer, changed a couple knee lever functions to suit my setup, etc... its all back together and it plays great. If you don't find somebody to help you, I think if you ask specific questions here, you'll get answers. Good luck with it and enjoy. The LGD is a great guitar.

RC

Tom, that's often the case, it's just that some people do not have the mechanical aptitude to work on a pedal steel, nor do they want to.

Simple to some folks is incomprehensible to others...
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 10:11 am    

Seems like we're seeing more and more repair/setup requests. Maybe because there's an abundance of discontinued older models in the secondary market? And fewer people with the knowledge and experience to do the work.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 12:27 pm    

You can try contacting Forum member Kevin Hatten. He is a case builder, but used to build steel guitars. He may be busy building cases and not want to do repair work.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 2:15 pm    

Thanks Larry. Tom, I highly suggest that you take your guitar to Mike DiAlesandro at Steel Guitars Ohio. He does excellent work and your guitar will be mint when he's finished. You'll be very happy. Well worth the drive.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 2:26 pm    

I used to change strings and set up all of "Big Jim Murphy" and "Dicky Overbey" pedal steels; when they both moved/lived in Texas. It's simple;> their hands were always on the top of the guitar and never really had to go underneath throughout their carrers; so when something needed attention; they always asked for someone that does it; ALL THE TIME....PERIOD!!
Ricky
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 10:16 pm    

I was the same way when I first got into pedal steel. First pedal steel I owned was a ZB (which now resides with Brad Sarno). I did not realize how much work it needed but I was a beginner just playing A/B pedals and some knees. Next I bought an old GFI universal as a basket case and had to figure out putting it together. Lots of trial and error but a great learning experience. I've gotten to the point that I can do most of the adjustments and make changes to copedents on all pull guitars pretty well. I recently acquired a Bowman push pull. That was a bit of a learning curve but now I have a pretty good grasp on that guitar too.

It really does help you play if you understand how the darn thing works, but it does get addicting!

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 2:55 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
Thanks Larry. Tom, I highly suggest that you take your guitar to Mike DiAlesandro at Steel Guitars Ohio. He does excellent work and your guitar will be mint when he's finished. You'll be very happy. Well worth the drive.

Thank you Kevin, I appreciate the kind words. Smile
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 3:34 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:

What he said...