| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting Passive Wedge monitor to Active powered
Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 2:03 pm    

I have three 1980's Passive Peavey Wedge monitors that I would like to convert to active powered monitors.

I figured that input/amp component boards for this would be easy to find at the speaker builder/parts companies. I looked at Parts Express and Amazon/Ebay but don't find anything that looks usable.

Have any of you done a conversion like this?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 6:30 pm    

The Atrend 3001SBA might be just what you're looking for...about $85 at Amazon. (There are lots of others, but most of them are well over $100.)
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 8:43 pm     This made me curious so I started spelunking

Hi Bill,

I got to looking around, and the Atrend unit referenced earlier is intended as a subwoofer module. My research revealed this at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/LASE-Amplifier-Convert-Passive-Speaker/dp/B07BYJRYMS/ref=pd_ci_mcx_di_int_sccai_cn_d_sccl_3_2/141-9402806-3502611?pd_rd_w=FwVOo&content-id=amzn1.sym.751acc83-5c05-42d0-a15e-303622651e1e&pf_rd_p=751acc83-5c05-42d0-a15e-303622651e1e&pf_rd_r=1G2AYV9XQQDHQWJ13P3V&pd_rd_wg=gE92k&pd_rd_r=b4896fda-4310-46b7-8267-14a674445548&pd_rd_i=B07BYJRYMS&psc=1

Near as I can tell, you're better off replacing your existing speakers, or scavenging a unit out of a cheap/used powered speaker!

Please do let us know what you decide

In addendum, I've never done a conversion it's always been cheaper to buy new complete gear for me

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 7:17 am    

Thanks guys,

The LASE VRX 615-AB looks perfect, but its three times what I would like to spend on such a conversion.

One would think that there would be a lot of demand for this type of product for either conversions or new home builds of PA equipment. I'm surprised that Parts Express or similar doesn't have inexpensive units.

I have a small 10" Carvin P10A powered speaker. It's 400 watts and a much smaller electronics panel than the LASE. Something that size would be great for monitor conversions.

Even a little external conversion box Class D amp with low impedance pass through inputs and tone/volume controls would be a nice product.

If I had an entrepreneurial bent left in my bones, I should design and manufacture such things.

Maybe I can use my little 200W Class D bass amp head with an input transformer and use a separate or end of the line monitor feed.