| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good tablet for charts?
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 7:31 am    

Sorry if this topic has come up before--or if it's in the wrong place.

More and more players are storing their charts on tablets. And I am being (humorously) tech-shamed by guys in my band for using actual paper.

Two of them use Mobile Sheets; one on a Lenovo, one on a SamsungTab S9. They recommend at least a 12 inch screen, for legibility.

Any thoughts or ideas from the SG community for when I go tablet-shopping?
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 8:19 pm     Depends on how you use it

Hi Chris, I'm a bit of an old school computer user, I prefer to create my own charts save them as pdf, and access them by file name, saved in folders with short cuts on the desktop.

You could take pictures of your existing charts, save them out as pdf files, and access in whatever way makes sense to you. This method would probably work best in a Windows tablet, but I've made it work on Android as well.

The guys I play with today mostly use some kind of app that they pay for, the apps let you find the chart and allow for on the fly transposition, handy if you get singers up that can only sing in C#m. These apps are available through the respective platforms app store, and most are available for Apple, Windows, and Android.

While I personally avoid Windows on principle and Apple because I've never been good a navigating apple products, you will probably want to go with the platform you are most familiar with. Android is significantly less expensive, my tablets (I ALWAYS travel with a backup) were 60 bucks each, and I save money by creating my own charts.

As far as size goes, I prefer a 7" screen that I mount to my mic stand so it's easy to find if I'm interacting with the audience and forget where I am in a song.

I hope this helps,
Walter

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 3:54 am    

I use an iPad Pro 10.5”. I mount it on one of the front legs. I highly recommend you look at OnSong for software. I have all the bands songs in there. I can create a set list, then just swipe across to the next song. It will scroll to the song’s tempo. If the band decides to do a song not on the set list, I can quickly pull it up. It’s also easy to change key quickly.

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 4:02 am    

I-Pad with OnSong for me.

https://onsongapp.com/

I just load my word docs saved as PDF on DropBox.
load on the Ipad through WiFi, There are many how to YouTube videos.
There are easier and more sophisticated way of using this.
I made a mount that clamps the the leg of my PSG.
I also played with a band that used Wheresthegig.

https://wheresthegig.com/start_page.html

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 5:37 am    

Hey Chris, I bought my little gospel trio all the same 10" fire tablets about a year ago, so far so good. They were on sale for about 80$ apiece. We use the Songbookpro app, and it's been a game changer. No more hauling around sheets in a binder. When we passed over 200 songs we had to do something. The 10" screen is big enough that my old eyes have no problem seeing it,and not too obtrusive. When not picking on the guitar, I use it with my steel, setting it on a mini Tab Rack jr.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 1:13 pm     Addendum to previous post

Hi Chris,
It occurred to me that as far as the app you use is concerned you are probably best off going with the same one your band mates are using, that way you have easy access to a user base familiar with the app's peculiarities. This is assuming you go the app route.

Just a thought.

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2024 5:49 am    

Good point, Walter, In fact The Guys have offered to help me set the stuff up. Again, they use MobileSheets.

Thanks for your ideas, everybody! Chris