| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  proper name for "accompanyment device"?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 2:14 am    

I play guitar in my church praise band. This past sunday we got a break and the pastor and his wife did the music for the service.. He sings well, plays nice acoustic guitar, and she is a solid pianist playing a Yamaha electric piano of some sort.. Anyway in her piano is a setup where you can add a bass and drums, and it really added a LOT to their sound. Nice and full, without being overbearing. The bass was simple patterns that added nice bottom and the "drums" were light and unobtrusive.. Whatever this system is, plays along with what you are doing at the moment, its not a stiff sounding "recorded track" that you adhere to.. If its yamaha I'm sure they must have something similar in a stand alone version, that say an acoustic guitarist/singer could use. My wife and I sing together in church often for "special music", and would love something like this to fill out the sound, over just an amplified acoustic and 2 voices.. I have no idea what its even called, or what to look for... any ideas what to check into??

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 2:27 am    

ok, so found this--

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TrioPlus--digitech-trio-band-creator-and-looper-pedal

Looks like a glorified looper pedal of some sort. Anything else that might be suitable for our needs?

I think the pastors wife had something like this-

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/index.html

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 3:21 am    

I've had several keyboards that you could "record" parts. That was a feature called a sequencer. I used to record all the instrument parts and play them back while playing keys, steel guitar, and singing.

I even used computer based sequencing software to play parts in multiple keyboards and synthesizer modules.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 3:27 am    

In this case, it wasn't a recording they were playing over.. The rhythm section is real time from what I understand.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 12:06 pm    

I had a Yamaha key board, It had all the bells and whistles.
You can program many things into it for accompliment into it.
I have wondered if whoever cam up with band in a box, May have played around with a Yamaha keyboard is where the got the idea for Band in a Box from.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 9:21 am    

The Digitech Trio is mostly a Band in the Box auto accompanying system. It works well and sounds decent. You can vary speeds, change styles and control the volume levels of the bass and drums. But like any other devices there's a learning curve. Tons of videos demonstrate it'd abilities. Then theres the drum and rhythm machines by some manufacturers. Not sure what is still being made. I had a couple Boss, Roland, Zoom and a few others. All seriously outdated now.
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 5:23 pm     speaking of seriously outdated

I have an old Casio CTK-611 keyboard that I bought new in the '90s for around $50 retail. 100 built in rhythmn settings. It automatically plays drums, bass and chord parts in accordance with the chords played on the left hand. So it provides realistic melodic accompaniment (in real time) for the notes played with the right hand. There's also an auto-accomaniment mode where the keyboard plays canned chord progressions that are appropriate for the rhythm selected.

I don't play keyboards but still use it to create scratch tracks (MIDI & audio) and just to play along with. There were much better keyboards, workstations, sequencers available back then. I'd expect a basic modern keyboard contraption would do all of this and more these days.