| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mama Take Me Home - Sho Bud
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 5:13 pm    

This is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Written by Carmol Taylor and recorded by people like George Jones, Charlie Rich, etc... This is my first recording using my recently acquired Sho Bod LDG. I'm also using a new computer for my studio. Got everything updated, and got it all working together. Hope you enjoy some hard core country music.

https://youtu.be/pbfZwsj2dAM?si=uuGLNSOy2xrDV6Fd

RC
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 2:05 am    

I really like the mix! Not only is the playing just great the sound is really done well. The arrangement is great!

What a song! Whew!
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 5:25 am    

Nice job Rick. Old school country on full display! Is it just me or do steels made of wood sound so haunting and warm? Please keep em coming.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 6:39 am    

Very nice. The presentation, vocals, instrumentation all first class. I don't recall hearing this song before. You're right, it's one of the saddest ones I ever heard.

Thanks for sharing.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 8:44 pm    

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoy my music. I keep on the search for good songs that haven't been overplayed.

These sound much better on a decent sound system, but I know most people, especially Facebook listeners, will listen on their cell phones. There's bass in the mix, but you won't hear it on a cell phone. I actually use a special speaker modeling software when I mix and master that will show me what it would sound like on a cell phone.

It's kind of funny how a car AM radio with one speaker in the dash sounds very similar to a cell phone speaker. I grew up listening to the Opry on those radios. For my 8 track and cassette tapes, I advanced to having two wedge speakers in the back window. LOL

RC
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:06 pm    

Excellent as always, Rick. Would be even better with just a tiny bit less reverb IMHO.
Wish you would release an album or two!

Carmol Taylor wrote many great songs, this one was new to me. If you're looking for more of his lesser known work to record, I strongly suggest "Good Cheatin' Songs" from his 1976 album Song Writer.

But if you want to hear a really, really sad song, nothing beats Frenchie Burke's "Mama's Picture"... incest and suicide accompanied by stunningly beautiful steel playing by a merely 16 year old Robbie Springfield...
David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 1:54 am     Days of Yore

Seems like yesterday Rick
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 5:46 am    

Great song Rick; you sang the HECK out of it. Also I love when you did "The Town Where You Live" with original being Lloyd Green Sho~Bud LDG.
https://youtu.be/ko4BkfEe9zs?si=5KoJNvdrrzTihcUk
Ricky
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 6:45 am    

Thanks for that song. A great job as usual.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 3:42 pm     Re: Days of Yore

David Rattray wrote:
Seems like yesterday Rick

That's it exactly. Thanks for the photos. remember back then the radios were not standardized and sometimes we'd get a nice radio from one make and install it in another. The dash was made of metal then and we'd use hacksaw blades and chisels to cut it out to fit. Anything to get some music going. I also remember that the 8 track tapes were troublesome and they would sometimes play two songs at once, and often the tape would get tangled up in the player. Some of the better players had an adjustment to align the heads to accommodate different tapes. I guess those were the good ole days. I really enjoyed life back then, but I can't say that I want to go back.

For TV we got two channels, and if someone would go outside and turn the antenna, we could get a third, but not all three at the same time. That was good enough to watch the Porter Wagoner and Wilburn Brothers shows.

I'm only 65, but I grew up in a rural area and we generally ran a few years behind the larger cities in technology. I'm not complaining, that's just the way it was. I'm lucky to have been able to do a lot of different things.

RC
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 4:01 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Great song Rick; you sang the HECK out of it. Also I love when you did "The Town Where You Live" with original being Lloyd Green Sho~Bud LDG.
https://youtu.be/ko4BkfEe9zs?si=5KoJNvdrrzTihcUk
Ricky

Thanks man. I grew up on that stuff. Thanks for your advice on the LDG. I took it all apart, cleaned, lubed, replaced some pot metal parts with aluminum, etc... No wear on the fingers. It plays so good. Almost zero single coil hum, and it stays in great tune. I rarely have to touch the tuning nuts, which I also replaced. One end plate had a pretty bad scratch from an exposed screw in a homemade case. I was able to polish that out to like new. Very happy with my LDG.

RC
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 4:11 pm    

Per Berner wrote:
Excellent as always, Rick. Would be even better with just a tiny bit less reverb IMHO.
Wish you would release an album or two!

Carmol Taylor wrote many great songs, this one was new to me. If you're looking for more of his lesser known work to record, I strongly suggest "Good Cheatin' Songs" from his 1976 album Song Writer.

But if you want to hear a really, really sad song, nothing beats Frenchie Burke's "Mama's Picture"... incest and suicide accompanied by stunningly beautiful steel playing by a merely 16 year old Robbie Springfield...

Yes, Thanks, I plan to listen to some more Carmol Taylor material when I get time. Wow! "Mama's Picture" goes way beyond sad. I listened several times to make sure what I hearing. Frenchie did a good job on it. I wonder who wrote it?

RC
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 4:11 pm    

Quote:
Very happy with my LDG.

That is SO awesome Rick; great work on it.
Ricky
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 5:17 am    

Well played and sung, Rick. As always, I enjoyed your music. Wish I could play fiddle as well as you do.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 5:07 pm    

Fabulous job as usual Rick. Heat breaking country music done right.
Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 4:20 pm    

Great job !!!!!