| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fessenden D-10 8+6
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 4:57 am    

FOR SALE: Fessenden D-10 8+6

Asking $2800. No shipping at this time. Face to face sale.

I am selling this on behalf of a close friend who is out of country.
I am fully responsible for all aspects of this sale (there will be no "that's between you and him" --- it's all between you & me).

This steel plays REALLY well. The pedal feel is superb. Smooth with an easy touch. I emphasize this because I have a later model Fessenden SD-12 and it does not, never did, play nearly as well.

The GeorgeL PF-1's sound good. I have always tended to be a snob who did not regard Georges highly. That's stupid. That's on me.

I will note some facts & issues. It is a very nice steel guitar but it has enough checkmarks against it to knock the price down to where I'm listing it.

-- all knee levers except the vertical have holes for flags. Just holes. They are not tapped. There are no flags.

-- the vert was missing (hardware was intact but no lever). I had Jim Palenscar fabricate the part.

-- some trim and mica were separating from the body. It appears that some repairs may have been made in the past (gunky contact cement). I have CA glued up some bad spots and left others alone.

-- there are a few blemishes on the mica. Worns spots, tiny chips, and an area of messed up gloss, showing some sandpaper or steel wool abrasion to the (very thin) gloss surface. The photo exaggerates it a LOT -- I couldn't manage a decent photo of this. But it is real.

-- there are two inexplicable bolts & nuts on the rear apron. I simply have no theory. The wood is splintered out on the inside where the drill pushed through (not awful but notable). My friend, the owner, received it this way and has no idea wtf.

There are a couple of odd (to me) choices in the setup. I'll be happy to discuss making some minor changes and choices with a buyer.
It has a split tuning screw on the 6th string but it is currently not in use -- the steel is set up to lower 3 & 6 a half step. Changing 6 to the G/F# split tuning (long throw on the vert) would be odd while the 3rd string drops G#>G -- B pedal split on 3 without split tuner hardware will NOT be in tune. IMO either both should go the half step or the 3rd string lower should be ditched, keeping the split on 6.
And there are split screws on 2 & 9 which I was going to have to refresh my memory on how to use with the 2nd string feeler stop. But I had no trouble getting it set up without the split screws so they are not in use.
So final setup is a little up in the air awaiting discussion with any potential buyer.

If you are familiar with Fessendens, they are 'seasonal'. Winter & summer create the need to adjust the fit of the cross shafts in the cabinet when they get too loose or when they get too tight and bind.
There is a lot of lateral play right now. But because it plays so well I'm reluctant to tighten them up, knowing that they will bind, come winter.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 3:06 am    

I have definite interest from someone with whom it would be a pleasure to deal with but it would need to be shipped. For the time being the owner is not concerned about a quick sale so I've got the luxury of being able to hang in and try to find someone in the northeast.

It would do my soul good to find someone who maybe can't afford a higher end, newer steel but is ready to upgrade from a starter guitar to a pro level guitar -- or is looking to expand from a singe neck.
For the right person, we can talk about the price.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2024 6:03 am    

If you know somebody in the northeast looking to step up from a single neck or from a 'student' guitar, give them a heads-up. This could be a great opportunity for them.
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2024 10:29 am    

Jon.....how far are you from Beacon, NY? I'm playing there first week of Sept.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2024 11:03 am    

Jim -- like 48 miles. Cross the river and a straight run up 87. A hair under an hour, the times I've played there.