Author Topic:  Earplugs
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 6:02 pm    

Anyone using earplugs? The lowering dB type

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 3:35 am    

sometimes i do. they always suck!

i've tried a bunch. probably the best are etymotic filters with custom molded earpieces. very expensive.

for less attenuation i have some earasers that are quite good. they are not muffled sounding, and in fact seem to have too much brightness, but it does help you hear yourself in the mix a bit better, which i find is the challenge with most earplugs.
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 6:23 am     earplugs

almost always! I prefer the old Sonic Ear Plugs over most new ones.
Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 8:15 am    

I use these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TCH6CVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear them for rollerskating, where its extremely loud. I can still hear people talking, but this cuts down on the noise.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 4:52 pm    

when I need them (and I needed them 49 years ago) I use Eargasum
https://eargasm.com/ . Pretty amazing how the drop the db's but still have fidelity.
Plus, the coolest container ever.
Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 2:44 am    

Because I already had some hearing issues and full-time tinnitus, I sprung for the custom molded ones from Westone. I think they were $225 or something like that. Not cheap, but how much is your hearing worth? Not something to cheap out on, IMHO.
Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 4:27 am    

I got the Westone custom fitted ones. I had trouble gauging how loud I was playing. My band mates told me I was too loud after the first song.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 5:05 am    

this is the biggest issue i have with earplugs; i worry more about my place in the mix, and as the frequencies dip it become a little harder to hear the way you're used to, so you turn up to compensate. one thing that i find helpful is wearing them in the car on the way to the gig and for setup. it helps me get used to the sound.
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 5:27 am     Ear plugs

I also avoid setting up next to the drummer.
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 8:03 pm    

Hey I did just the other night. In ears not available and I felt everything was too loud. I do have the Soundbrenner minuendo adjustable kind, but the super cheap ones is what I used (musician ear plugs). You have to hear yourself, just go for it and have the sound guy turn you down.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 4:52 am    

I don’t leave home without my custom ear molds. I’ve gotten used to them and have a hard time balancing my volume without them on stage. It’s pretty crazy to me that musicians prefer to damage their hearing permanently when there is a choice. I play in bands where I’m the only one that can hear a high pitched squealing coming out of an amp. Hearing loss is tragic and tinnitus is crippling.

Here is a free and very useful app to measure db levels.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/noise/about/app.html

I’ve been very careful with my ears for a long time now and basically try to not expose myself to continuous levels over 85 db.

The new apple AirPod pro’s also have a noise canceling feature that is great for day to day use. Btw: in the attenuators that go in the custom ear molds that you get from an audiologist the high frequency roll off is at about 5K so there should be no practical effect on pitch perception. I have not found any commercial ear protection that came close to the effectiveness of custom molds.

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 1:28 pm    

Another vote for Westone custom fits. I don’t play in loud bands much anymore, but when I did, it was actually easier to find my place in the mix while wearing the plugs. With 15dB worth of cut on crashing cymbals, I never had to crank the high end on the amp. And my hearing sucks, because I didn’t start wearing protection soon enough. If your ears are still in good working order and you’re in a loud band, do yourself a favor and start protecting them now with a high quality custom fit plug.
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 7:43 am    

custom molded in ear monitors…absolutely a must if you want to retain your hearing
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 9:21 am    

I bought a pair of these a while back, unfortunately AFTER an audiologist confirmed fairly significant hearing loss. I guess that's shutting the barn door after the cow is already out, but I'd like to keep what I have left.
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW/

They were recommended to me by Tommy Detamore, who has apparently tried a lot of different plugs. He told me that they weren't perfect, but they seemed to have the least effect on high frequency loss, that he said was a definite problem with some he tried. I'm sure there are more expensive options, but I liked the price on these and they work ok for me.