| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Great Combination Quilter Super Block/Tonemaster FR-12
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 11:12 am    

I was experimenting with the Quilter Superblock US into the send channel of a Quilter TT 12. I know this seems redundant, but the TT on its tilt-back legs is a pain to reach without getting up. On a live gig, I don't want to get up and turn around. This proved to be an excellent combination, and I actually prefer the reverb on the SuperBlock. I also would use it to control a Straight Ahead amp in a 12-inch cabinet. They both were excellent.

On a whim, I bought the Tonemaster FR, figuring it was designed for six-string guitars only. I was surprised to find that it is the best combination I've heard in years. I set the Tonemaster controls to 12 o'clock and the cut to 50%. No matter where I set the tone controls on the SuperBlock, the combination sounded fantastic. I have played out in two completely different venues. one was a traditional honky-tonk with sound reinforcement. The other was a piano lounge with carpet where I had to set my amp under a piano. Fortunately, there was no piano player, and the amp sounded just as fantastic.

I have tried the Sesh 400 and the Boss IR 2. I have not tried the numerous modeling amps out there.
Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 8:17 pm    

Sounds like you have found some nice combinations Jon. I just purchased the Superblock US with the intent to run direct to the board. It sounds great into my interface at home and I can't wait to try it out live.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 3:21 am    

Thanks for this review. I've got some wanderinglust in my ears and I'm trying to reimagine my rig and this (the Fender) could be one way to go as the back end. My Q Mach 3 is a great, convenient combo but the sound is not quite flawless.

If you feel like updating this as you continue to use it, I'd be most interested in hearing if it holds up for you or if you fall out of love with it (lord knows I know how that goes, from the flush of infatuation to the gradual 'nah....that's not it')....
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 4:20 pm    

Jon, I'm playing tomorrow night at a venue with the worst acoustics I've ever experienced. I'll have the amplifier on a chair behind me, and the PA speaker is right above that. Usually, I play with a stage mix at this joint. However, the FR has an XLR out, and I think I'll use both the amp as a monitor and go through the PA as well. Paul, I tried to use the SuperBlock alone, but I found I needed a monitor.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 9:48 am    

Hi Jon.
Sorry to bug you.
I'm still doing circles around this, trying to talk myself into this (or a couple of other options) and I'm wondering if you have any further impressions now that the flush of 'new thing' is wearing off.
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 10:58 am    

Jon, I haven't become tired of the sound. Honestly, I did not expect to like it. I used Nashville 400s for years. I tried to use the Superblock on powered PA speakers, and the sound was too harsh. Sweetwater had a deal on the Tonemaster, and I figured I'd try it. I've played it with three different bands and received positive feedback from them all. So I know it isn't just me.

The Tonemaster is very light—29 pounds. It's a closed-back configuration, so it doesn't have room for power cords. Also, palpating the grill cloth doesn't reveal the placement of the 12-inch speaker or the tweeter. I would not know where to place a microphone. It has a balanced line out, but that sound is not influenced by tone controls on the cabinet itself, just by the sound of the Superblock. I haven't recorded with it other than an audience iPhone. Next month, I'll play with an experienced sound engineer, and I'll use the line out for sound reinforcement. Check back then or give me your phone number in a PM and we will chat.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 11:09 am    

Thanks Jon. I really appreciate your responsiveness!
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 1:47 pm    

I found this picture and marked it up. It shows the speaker configuration with the tweeter and air vent holes.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 2:02 pm    

I'd imagine that those 'air vents' are tuned ports in that closed-back cab.

re: the tweeter...the only thing that counts is that it sounds good. 'What I would think' counts for nothing, vs your ears. But without your review I would have looked at the tweeter and not expected to like this. Memories of a backline Peavey keyboard amp with a horn that was pretty bad with steel. I wonder if the high-cut control is directly tied to the tweeter?

Bottom line -- I'm waiting for one piece of gear to fall in place, then I'm getting serious about this amp for the back end (10% off right now at Sweetwater).
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2024 6:28 am    

Just a follow-up. Got a FR-12. I think it sounds great. The addition of a tone tweaking panel adds to its versatility.
I'm using it as the back end with a just-purchased Sarno Revelation. Haven't gigged this yet.

I'm having one issue -- extreme speaker attenuation when an XLR cable is taking a signal out to a board. If I use a pre-wired XLR > 1/4" cable (to the 1/4" line-in on the board), the attenuation is almost eliminated. However if I use an XLR > 1/4" adapter on a standard XLR cable the attenuation still happens. I'm talking about more than 50% attenuation -- not nearly enough to serve as stage volume. It seems odd and I'm baffled.

I've opened a ticket with Fender support and we'll see what they say.

I would hate to have to return it because it truly does sound good.
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 6:25 am    

Jon, I have yet to notice this difference. Brad says in the Revelation manual.
Quote:
Left and Right main outputs - The upper 1/4” jacks are normal guitar cord T/S
(tip/sleeve) unbalanced outputs. The lower (optional) XLR jacks are true,
transformer balanced outputs (pin 1 floating, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold). Both the 1/4”
and XLR outputs are active at all times. Both can be used simultaneously, offering a
total of 4 possible rear outputs, 2 balanced and 2 unbalanced. Keep in mind that
the 1/4” outputs are the hot, highest level outputs
. The XLR transformer outputs
are padded down to a lower line level. This allows for easier use in live DI
situations when a mixing console or mic preamp is receiving the XLR balanced lines.

I am using the Superblock's line-level output into the Tonemaster. Whether I step down to an unbalanced cord or not, the volume is the same.