| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Basic Rodding Question
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 9:12 pm    

Because some of us don’t understand even grade school level physics or mechanics… Does the length of the rod affect rod placement? In other words, for example, would you rod a B to Bb in the same position if it was on a vertical knee lever versus being on a floor pedal, etc.?
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 9:43 pm    

The length of the rod is determined by the distance from the changer to the bell crank.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:25 pm    

Yes, I would put the rod in the same position in the Bell Crank for either KL or pedal if pulling to the same note, generally, there might be times when you are trying to time the travel of 2 strings the same, but for the most part, I place it in the same hole for the same note change.

The distance of the pull train travel wouldn't be a consideration for me.
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:45 pm    

I Mis-read the question!

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 9:10 am    

You may or may not have to change the leverage holes; that's all personal preference, for the "feel" of the change. As a rule, on either pedals or levers, you usually want more pedal or lever movement on the changes that are a full tone (or more). Half-tone changes require less movement, as there is no "in-between" note to worry about.

Note: I have played guitars that were set up to have all the pedals and levers move the same distance, but it felt very unnatural, to me.

YMMV
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 10:25 am    

I see two separate question, Chris -- physics and ergonomics -- and I'm not sure which is the focus of your question.

-- the leverage physics do not change. The amount of changer movement will be the same with a long rod (LKL) or a short rod (RKL), using the same holes.

-- the same short (or long) pull on a pedal may not be what you want to feel on a lever and vice versa. I've had a super efficient, short lever pull that I loved, in concept. But I found that my leg would hit the stop and bounced off it, the muscles & ergonomics being so different from feet on the pedals. I made it less efficient and longer and I like it a lot better.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 11:41 am    

Another thing to consider, When setting up and rodding knee levers, Is the weight of the guitar.

On heavy guitars you can have short stiff knee lever movement with no movement of guitar legs on floor.

On a heavy guitar, (Example MSA D10/S10 Classic) you can have short quick movement on knee levers with no movement of the guitar.
When setting up a light guitar, Longer knee lever travel works better. Less pressure required on knee lever, Will make guitar more stable and not move on floor, When a Knee Lever is activated.

When I went from MSA S10 Classic, To a GFI S12. Setting up knee levers was a whole new ball game.

Good Luck setting up the guitar, Happy Steelin.