| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Louis Armstrong - steel guitarist?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 7:22 am    

...not really, but here are some interesting and historical pictures from the Louis Armstrong House Museum.

Satchmo recorded a "Country and Western" album in New York in 1970, using Nashville musicians. Stu Basore on pedal steel. It looks like Armstrong had some fun on this session. Photos by Jack Bradley.

LISTEN ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJBw65H426Q&list=PLIPPfkljCzwTaaefKqGkWlS4Q8fn9rEyR

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 17 Jun 2024 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 7:45 am    

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:10 am    

The amp looks like a 1968 Deluxe Reverb.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 11:19 am    

Thanks for the neat pictures, Doug. Louis has always been one of my favorites, and it's nice to see him messin' around on steel.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 12:50 pm    

The Louis Armstrong House is a treasure and worth the trip for any jazz fan. It left me in tears when I visited.

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 4:29 pm    

Pretty funny! Thanks for posting, I had no idea Armstrong did a country album!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 4:50 pm    

Reminds me a little bit of Ray Charles’ country albums. Ray had great success with country covers, some big hits. I think he even got a CMA award.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 8:00 pm    

Great, great shots - thanks Doug. Yeah, definitely a '68 drip-panel Deluxe Reverb Amp.

Ray Charles' Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music (two volumes) are timeless masterpieces. I imagine their success was a significant part of what led many soul/jazz/R&B people to record country music. But I'm sure a big part of the reason was how great, in fact, so many of the classic country songs actually are. In terms of the songs themselves, I see a lot of commonality between classic country and classic soul/R&B repertoire. Personally, I view them as different sides of the same coin.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 8:30 pm    

Quote:
Ray Charles' Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music (two volumes) are timeless masterpieces. I imagine their success was a significant part of what led many soul/jazz/R&B people to record country music. But I'm sure a big part of the reason was how great, in fact, so many of the classic country songs actually are. In terms of the songs themselves, I see a lot of commonality between classic country and classic soul/R&B repertoire. Personally, I view them as different sides of the same coin.

You're right, Dave. A humorous quote from the back of an album comes to mind regarding the melding of Soul and Country & Western. This is from the LP "Sounds of Doug Jernigan and Gary Adams";

"Country and Western has for a long time shared an affinity with 'Soul' or 'Black' music and an ever increasing number of black artists are being attracted to 'C' and 'W' as attested by one; Charlie Pride. It is my opinion that the reason for this attraction is the feeling which is the basis of Country Music or any music that generates emotion. The feeling is called 'Soul', and music without it is flavorless.
The production of this album combines these two vital musics and the fire of these seasoned musicians, three white and two black, into some highly enjoyable and interesting listening.
During the 'session' bassist Larry Randolph quipped with a remark which broke everyone up, including yours truly. 'If this is Country and Western, you can call me a SOULBILLY!!! As for Gary and Doug, call them hillbillies if you like. They don't mind, because they can play" - DON HALES.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:58 pm    

there's an entire box set of Ray's country recordings spanning from 1959 to 1986. he included country material on many albums over the years and it's a fantastic collection https://www.discogs.com/release/8692641-Ray-Charles-The-Complete-Country-Western-Recordings-1959-1986

my only gripe is they left off the great Jimmy Webb tune See You Then from Ray's Volcanic Action Of My Soul album with Buddy Emmons. the album has never been made available digitally in its entirety... it's way overdue.

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 6:38 am    

Hmmm...Emmons Guitar Co. could use these pics for promotion. Smile
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 7:37 am    

That rosewood Emmons with the black necks has been discussed here in the past. Or maybe Emmons made a few like that...?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 7:38 am    

There are more photos from Louis Armstrong's country session on the LAH Museum website. Also lots of backstory on how the album idea originated and how Satchmo selected the tunes, etc. ----> https://virtualexhibits.louisarmstronghouse.org/2024/06/11/ When you get to the page, click on "Continue reading".

The article says that Armstrong was paid $20,000 to record the album. That's $166,000 in 2024 dollars! Smile
Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 9:55 am    

And, don't forget Satchmo's 1931 recording with Jimmie Rodgers "Blue Yodel #9." Louis was in on the birth of Country Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It24N7o29Pk

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 11:00 am    

Quote:
And, don't forget Satchmo's 1931 recording with Jimmie Rodgers "Blue Yodel #9." Louis was in on the birth of Country Music.

I did not know that! Add that to the long list of things I’ve learned on this forum.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 6:31 am    

Great photos and info, Doug!